*Unofficial* FT Corsair

Dazzy

I finally received my Corsair kit 2 days ago from FT USA, I made the mistake of not ordering a battery as well. So I got a Turnigy 3S 3300mah instead from Hobbyking here in OZ, but theres a big difference in weight, Turnigy battery is 297g v Tattu 148g.

Since theres not much room to shift the Turnigy rearwards down the fuselage, what do others suggest?

Wildthing

Legendary member
I finally received my Corsair kit 2 days ago from FT USA, I made the mistake of not ordering a battery as well. So I got a Turnigy 3S 3300mah instead from Hobbyking here in OZ, but theres a big difference in weight, Turnigy battery is 297g v Tattu 148g.

Since theres not much room to shift the Turnigy rearwards down the fuselage, what do others suggest?
I hate adding ballast but if that is your only battery and you can't move it back at all add a little ballast to the tail until it balances.

Dazzy

So heres my Corsair build, Im using a crappy glue gun here and some glueing is less than great but I get to try my corsair in the coming days. Finally got my cg right, and checked the following points to cover all my bases before my maiden flight, I will add that Im a novice with the flight control any suggestions are welcome.

Tested centre of gravity, range checking, battery charge status, control throws. Have I missed anything?

20200822_085257.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
So heres my Corsair build, Im using a crappy glue gun here and some glueing is less than great but I get to try my corsair in the coming days. Finally got my cg right, and checked the following points to cover all my bases before my maiden flight, I will add that Im a novice with the flight control any suggestions are welcome.

Tested centre of gravity, range checking, battery charge status, control throws. Have I missed anything?

View attachment 177637
I would suggest the setting of expo and even dual rates if you are not an experienced pilot.

Pick a calm day and have someone else hand launch it for you so you do not have to grab at the controls in a hurry after the bird is launched.

Looks good!

Have fun!

Dazzy

I would suggest the setting of expo and even dual rates if you are not an experienced pilot.

Pick a calm day and have someone else hand launch it for you so you do not have to grab at the controls in a hurry after the bird is launched.

Looks good!

Have fun!

Hey @Hai-Lee can you explain dual rates and expo a little more or point me to some futher info. Thanks Darryl

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hey @Hai-Lee can you explain dual rates and expo a little more or point me to some futher info. Thanks Darryl
Dual rates is selected via a switch on your transmitter.
Simply put on one position the control surfaces move over their normal range of deflection and in the other position the control surfaces move over a slightly reduced deflection range. This allows you to select to have the plane either fully responsive to control inputs or to be a little more docile.
I set my LOW rate position for normally only 80% of maximum deflection especially for use by students as it makes the plane respond slightly slower and allows the student to reduce their overcontrolling tendencies sooner. Later when they can fly a little more precisely I swith the rate to full so that they can experience the real agility of the bird.

Expo is basically making the servo response a little less sensitive at small stick movements, (it makes the linear stick movement/position a little less linear and more exponential, hence the name.

Normally the expo is around 30% to 40% simply because if yo make it too great the centre of the control range is almost no response and at full of course it reamina full, (with too much the control stick can become almost like a 3 position stick and the plane will be almost impossible to fly properly.

Just be careful though as some transmitters require positive expo numbers whereas other require negative settings. I think Spektrum use positive numbers for their setting of the degree of Expo set.

Normally the Expo settings can be set differently for each dual rate switch setting and with greater control movement I normally increase the Expo setting slightly.

I hope that helps.

have fun!

Dazzy

Dual rates is selected via a switch on your transmitter.
Simply put on one position the control surfaces move over their normal range of deflection and in the other position the control surfaces move over a slightly reduced deflection range. This allows you to select to have the plane either fully responsive to control inputs or to be a little more docile.
I set my LOW rate position for normally only 80% of maximum deflection especially for use by students as it makes the plane respond slightly slower and allows the student to reduce their overcontrolling tendencies sooner. Later when they can fly a little more precisely I swith the rate to full so that they can experience the real agility of the bird.

Expo is basically making the servo response a little less sensitive at small stick movements, (it makes the linear stick movement/position a little less linear and more exponential, hence the name.

Normally the expo is around 30% to 40% simply because if yo make it too great the centre of the control range is almost no response and at full of course it reamina full, (with too much the control stick can become almost like a 3 position stick and the plane will be almost impossible to fly properly.

Just be careful though as some transmitters require positive expo numbers whereas other require negative settings. I think Spektrum use positive numbers for their setting of the degree of Expo set.

Normally the Expo settings can be set differently for each dual rate switch setting and with greater control movement I normally increase the Expo setting slightly.

I hope that helps.

have fun!

Thanks @Hai-Lee yeh I figured just the basics out before you replied then discovered a Spektrum video that explains it more discretely for me. Thanks

Darryl

matendie

I just wanted to say thanks for another amazing plane! I just finished painting my Corsair and here is my creation.... this is a first one I've ever painted. To my own surprise it actually came out great. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20200830_145833.jpg
    20200830_145833.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200830_145812.jpg
    20200830_145812.jpg
  • 20200830_145712.jpg
    20200830_145712.jpg
  • 20200830_145658.jpg
    20200830_145658.jpg

Bigeard

Hi,

Just wanted to show you my latest FT Corsair version with contra-rotating motors (1400 GV and 30A ESCs) and landing gear. Flies great!!!
Hello usaserres ,
great looking Corsair and Im interested in your use of the 4 blade prop and the landing gear , both of which I would like to build into the one Im planning to get . In your opinion how does the 4 blade prop compare in flight to the two blade ? Also have you had any problems with the landing gear staying in place ?
Thanks
M

Bigeard

I just wanted to say thanks for another amazing plane! I just finished painting my Corsair and here is my creation.... this is a first one I've ever painted. To my own surprise it actually came out great. Thank you!
Class colour scheme

usaserres

Hello usaserres ,
great looking Corsair and Im interested in your use of the 4 blade prop and the landing gear , both of which I would like to build into the one Im planning to get . In your opinion how does the 4 blade prop compare in flight to the two blade ? Also have you had any problems with the landing gear staying in place ?
Thanks
M

It is not a 4 blade prop but double 2 blade, contra-rotating propellers. Flies great and no issues with the wire landing gear.