*Unofficial* FT Corsair

Usafa93

Hey Sponz, Ben Harber’s Corsair had landing gear. Any chance bracing locations on the wings and wire templates are in the plans?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hey Sponz, Ben Harber’s Corsair had landing gear. Any chance bracing locations on the wings and wire templates are in the plans?

They are not. But maybe @Mid7night can share how he added his. The great thing about this community is that someone will step up and have a great solution for you in no time. My suggestion, take a look at the gear on the FT Mustang and modify that to work on the corsair.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
They are not. But maybe @Mid7night can share how he added his. The great thing about this community is that someone will step up and have a great solution for
you in no time. My suggestion, take a look at the gear on the FT Mustang and modify that to work on the corsair.

That's basically what I did. I wouldn't use mine as any sort of good benchmark, but I'll be happy to share pics (soon). I just wanted to get *something* underneath it so I didn't have to belly-land on dirt and rocks.

Michael9865

Elite member
And SP0NZ loves you guys too! That's why he does what he does. Not sure why he's speaking in the third person right now though. :unsure:

Love the third person, in this instance. LOL

That's basically what I did. I wouldn't use mine as any sort of good benchmark, but I'll be happy to share pics (soon). I just wanted to get *something* underneath it so I didn't have to belly-land on dirt and rocks.

Yes, pictures please.
What a great community we have with all the collaborating and cheering on of each other.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Yeah I'm very interested in adding retracts to this one. I've never done retracts before though so I'm just researching right now. Can have this corsair belly landing!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I'll try and get some pics of my undercarriage this week, but in the meantime I'll share some "dress up" parts I found that would work.

Retracts: https://store.flitetest.com/fms-main-landing-gear-system-fmmfh113/p427573

4-Blade Prop: https://store.flitetest.com/eflite-p51d-mustang-1.2m-10.5-x-8-4-blade-propeller-eflp105084bl/p465480

I ordered the prop for mine, and it should arrive tomorrow. I haven't pulled the trigger on the retracts yet, but I may. I don't want to add too much weight to this bird, I want to try and fly it on 3S even to get a bit more "scale" performance and not be such a hot-rod. But I wanted to share the retract link because I think they're the right size, and would be a REALLY cool addition if someone wanted to try it.

The retracts will definitely need some mounting reinforcement, but the good news is that there is a nice wood spar to anchor to! :)

Hmmm...I think I'm talking myself more and more into this idea... XD

TexMechsRobot

Thanks for the links! Which 3 blade would you recommend? I'll be running off the old C pack motor. The EMax GT2215/10 (1100kV) .

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Heads up....that prop I mentioned above looks AWESOME! Also, anyone looking to add scale detail to their planes should ABSOLUTELY go check out Callie Graphics: https://callie-graphics.com/collections/f4u-corsair

Here's why:

:cool:

53847877_663536137414839_4117446548080558080_n.jpg - 53289679_701396910258211_5002266324236238848_n.jpg - 53501955_363999634446327_6756577769628368896_n.jpg - 53421296_2229869023941296_283946408266956800_n.jpg

TexMechsRobot

Heads up....that prop I mentioned above looks AWESOME! Also, anyone looking to add scale detail to their planes should ABSOLUTELY go check out Callie Graphics: https://callie-graphics.com/collections/f4u-corsair

I've used Callie a few times and those look great! What info did she need from you for scaling options? Does she have the numbers that she needs for the FT Corsair?

Also, did you got with the radial motor from FT? If so, which spinner nut did you use?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Can't tell you where the spinner came from, it was a hand-me-down from a gasser-friend.

The graphics are all on her site, she has many options, just check out that link I shared. You pick the scheme you want, then you pick the scale. I went with 1/11, but you might consider going down to 1/12 because some of the fuselage decals seemed a little big.

I haven't got a new FT Radial (yet), the motor I used was an old Emax one I had lying around, it's a little bigger than the C-pack, but it still flies great.

Jaxx

I wonder if FT will be selling the wooden spars for this plane separately. Has anyone heard anything?

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
IMG_20190321_200933.jpg

Got my speedbuild kit ready for paint. This is going to be a pure sloper so no motor or Lipo. I tried putting the servos as far forward as i could but i made one mistake in building the plane. When they instructions get to installing the wing control rods there is no mention that there are 2 very long control rods in the pack that are needed for the fuselage servos so i cut one of them down to make the ailerons. Than like an hour later in the video they say "oh hey these are special" lol. Oh well. So one servo is way up in the forward nose area and one isnt.

Blue paint going on tonight followed by callie graphics once that has really cured well. I have had issues in the past with the transfer tape pulling up paint if you get in a hurry.

For CG i am going to diy a big nihm pack i got from @hobbyking.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-rechargeable-sub-c-4200mah-1-2v-nimh-high-power-series.html
1553273379869.png

Those are 67g each and it will have 4x of them to get up to 4.8v. That should help with getting cg forward, but i can always add some lead mixed in epoxy if needed. I am actually pushing the power pod out as far as i can go forward to get the weight farther in front of cg. Than once that is sorted i will put some squishy foam (epp?) where the motor would go and than a plastic nose cone on top of that.

I put servo extensions on everything so i could totally seal up the bottom of the plane and do all access via the power pod.

IMG_20190318_205407.jpg IMG_20190318_205351.jpg IMG_20190321_200943.jpg IMG_20190321_201005.jpg IMG_20190321_201022.jpg

Really enjoyed this build. Although i love all the flitetest planes, after building kits for 5 years i had got a little bored. Even though the end product was different i felt that all the kits were basically the same puzzle. So really great to have new skills to learn. I feel confident that the next plane will go together even better as i have some experience now.