*Unofficial* FT Corsair

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I wanted to see what black looked like so painted that as a first layer. But decided i wanted the original blue. Just waiting for the paint to dry and decals going on from callie. I am somewhat concerned as i got the 1/10 scale size, but oh well.
IMG_20190323_084348.jpg
IMG_20190323_184727.jpg

kilroy07

Legendary member
Wasn’t there a night fighter version that was black? Might have been the version with the radar pod?

thenated0g

Mentor
I made up a 4x cell nihm pack from 4200mah 1.2v turnigy cells. Came in at 273g. I put this in the power pod right up against the firewall. Still had to slide the power pod forward so the firewall was even with the front of the plane, but it got cg without having to add any dead weight. Should power the 4 servos for like a week lol. No really.
IMG_20190324_145844.jpg IMG_20190324_150104.jpg
For charging the battery i added a pretty common part used in slope planes. Its a switch charge jack. When the pigtail is plugged in, it disconnects the receiver and allows you to charge the battery. So to turn the plane "off" you plug it in. As soon as you unplug it the reciever gets power.

1553530875727.png

IMG_20190324_145851.jpg IMG_20190324_151953.jpg

I had some old nose cone laying around that looked like it would fit and sanded it up and painted black. Couple big globs of hot glue on the four corners of the firewall and its on pretty good.
IMG_20190324_151943.jpg

And than the decals from callie graphics. Had a few spots where i must not have sanded it well enough and the transfer tape pulled paint up. Once i realized this i would put the decals down, heat it up with an air gun, than slowly pull the transfer tape off. This made a big difference and i had a lot less paint damage. I will have to spray some paint into a cup and paint brush the spots i messed up. At this stage, in the pic below, i have about half the decals on. As i suspected from @Mid7night comments, the 1/10 size decals are a little big for this plane. Some go on just fine but others will not fit at all. Thats ok, ill just put them on the bottom side of the wing and cut the excess off.

After all the decals are on i will do a protective coat of some type to give the decals some sun protection and belly landing protection.
IMG_20190324_200323.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
So i weighed my corsair last night and its 795g. Anybody remember what theirs weighed?

**edit: Actually i was asking so i could compare my weight with others, but i ended up find in the plans the wing area (355 sq in) and the recommended flying weight (1020g). So knowing already that Josh thought the Corsair had a light wing loading and im 20% less is good to know. Based off those stats and my known weight heres where im at:

wing loading: 11.4oz​
Cubic loading: 7.26​
calculated stall speed: 16.5mph​

Last edited:

Usafa93

Hey Sponz, Ben Harber’s Corsair had landing gear. Any chance bracing locations on the wings and wire templates are in the plans?
Here's how it turned out with LG. I went with a light blue canopy to hopefully help with orientation in flight. Cant wait to maiden!

Attachments

• Jays_FT_Corsair_1.jpg
    Jays_FT_Corsair_1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Jays_FT_Corsair_3.jpg
    Jays_FT_Corsair_3.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Jays_FT_Corsair_2.jpg
    Jays_FT_Corsair_2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

jblock51

I just received the kit with the precut parts and linkages. Question for you veteran builders - once i popped out the parts they are not flush cut as I would have expected there is considerable shrinkage of the foam from the paper leaving a U shape. Not sure how that works to glue together with hot glue - is it normal on these precut kits to have that much recession or shrinkage from the paper at the cut lines See attached pictures 20190513_164229.jpg 20190513_164308.jpg seems like i would need to trim some of the parts to make them flush for better gluing which ands more time and it why I ordered it precut any thoughts ?
20190513_164229.jpg

Attachments

• FT Corsair foamboard recesssion.jpg
    FT Corsair foamboard recesssion.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ft corsair foam recession.jpg
    ft corsair foam recession.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 0

JTarmstr

Elite member
I just received the kit with the precut parts and linkages. Question for you veteran builders - once i popped out the parts they are not flush cut as I would have expected there is considerable shrinkage of the foam from the paper leaving a U shape. Not sure how that works to glue together with hot glue - is it normal on these precut kits to have that much recession or shrinkage from the paper at the cut lines See attached pictures View attachment 131270 View attachment 131271 seems like i would need to trim some of the parts to make them flush for better gluing which ands more time and it why I ordered it precut any thoughts ? View attachment 131270

Yes, it occurs in all the laser cut kits I bought. When I got the kit, my foam recession wasn't quite as bad as that, however it was still noticeable. I just made sure that the parts with recession had a bit of extra glue, didnt trim anything off. I dont think it causes major issues and all my parts fit together well, except for the cowl/motor mount, you have to be careful with that.

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
Yea, that first pic looks pretty extreme, the other two are even a bit more than what I like to see....
You may contact FT customer service and see about a replacement.

shadeyB

Legendary member
Hi Pilots
After ma 1st FT Corsair was pulled into the trees i HAD to build another :) this is a fantastic plane, great sense of achievement with the build also so it only deserved a day in the paint shop :)
now if the wind calms down a bit we are ready for battle
IMG_1809.JPG

Last edited:

shadeyB

Legendary member
Thanks pilots, I’m in 2 minds whether to put retracts and tail wheel on now? should have thought about it pre construction. Would like to have installed the navigation lights too

Lanman

Getting there. Definitely the most challenging foam board build I’ve done. Hoping I got the nose cowl spot on so the thrust angle is set right. Getting that glued up was one of the challenges for me. Lots to keep an eye on as the hot glue sets.

Attachments

• E87FC0F1-FB49-4D8F-829C-EFA100F79B1A.jpeg
    E87FC0F1-FB49-4D8F-829C-EFA100F79B1A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I added a little runcam and an immersion transmitter under the canopy! I can't wait to see how it looks in the air, I wanted a pilots POV but, there's a whole lotta that nose in the picture. Might have to raise the camera up a bit, or more forward.

Attachments

• 0605192011a.jpg
    0605192011a.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member