*Unofficial* FT Dart

eeck62

I actually found it on YouTube. It may have been one of Joshua Bardwell’s videos. I don’t think I could figure it out from the manual either.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Been working on my Dart over the last week.... FINALLY!
Working on setting motor directions, differential thrust, and centering servos today. Just need to finish the control rods and button it up.
IMG_20210806_071236825_HDR.jpg

Maybe it will be maidened at the FTCA Flying Circus this weekend... :)

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Got the Dart up to Edgewater for a maiden yesterday! Holy cow! THIS little bird is AWESOME! Got about 8 packs in before I broke one of the 3D printed motor mounts. Was able to launch it vertically without a toss. So in theory, it should be capable of vtol hover. may have to build another one with a FC. Need to print off another set of motor mounts. Got lucky and found the missing motor on the walk out to pick up the damage. It does NOT fly well with just one motor. LOL
IMG_20210815_095327554_HDR.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Got the Dart up to Edgewater for a maiden yesterday! Holy cow! THIS little bird is AWESOME! Got about 8 packs in before I broke one of the 3D printed motor mounts. Was able to launch it vertically without a toss. So in theory, it should be capable of vtol hover. may have to build another one with a FC. Need to print off another set of motor mounts. Got lucky and found the missing motor on the walk out to pick up the damage. It does NOT fly well with just one motor. LOL View attachment 205262

Cheers!
LitterBug

interesting, what motor, props, battery, AUW?
My tests with the H-pack motors didn't like anything over 2s and it would take 3s to have that hover capability (unless you built it really light)

If you react fast enough and cut the motors, it does glide fairly well (had that happen on one my my early builds of the Dart)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I am not running the "stock" FT drivetrain. I am running 3S 450mah lipo and the motors come down cool after about 5 minutes of flight. I have BetaFPV 1106 5000kv mini quad motors on it, so I could probably run 4S and get away with it. Kinda shocked that the Dart kits are discontinued. Going to have to get the plans and free build if I want a second one. will check the weight later today.

JasonK

I am not running the "stock" FT drivetrain. I am running 3S 450mah lipo and the motors come down cool after about 5 minutes of flight. I have BetaFPV 1106 5000kv mini quad motors on it, so I could probably run 4S and get away with it. Kinda shocked that the Dart kits are discontinued. Going to have to get the plans and free build if I want a second one. will check the weight later today.

Interesting, the 'stock' h-pack motors are 1106 4500kv and with the included 3x3x3 props, they got hot for me on the bench at 3s (even though the store page says they are good up to 4s). Maybe they would do better in the air where they are moving along and loading the motors lighter.

I think FT dropped the H-pack power pack completely and with that the dart and twin sparrow (and the promise of more planes using the H-pack). If I was to theorize, the need to do some soldering to setup the h-pack is what killed it.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
AUW is 225g for mine. I may be using different props also. I have some 4x2 blades but forgot to take them with me. Will try to get it back together, in the air this week, and have someone get video at the field.

JasonK

AUW is 225g for mine. I may be using different props also. I have some 4x2 blades but forgot to take them with me. Will try to get it back together, in the air this week, and have someone get video at the field.
I am interested to see it.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
A little more detail on my build specs:
BetaFPV 1106 5000kv motors
HQProp 3x2.5x3 props
20A Spedix ESCs
Emax ES 9051 Digital servos
Matek PDB with 5v/12v BECs
Glacier ICE 3S 450mah 75c batteries with XT30
LemonRX 6 channel RX

FT kit built with Hot glue and no special lightening techniques whatsoever. (not in the slightest) (unless 3d printed motor pods are lighter...)

AUW with battery is 225g. :)

LB

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Got it out to the field for a quick remaiden after repairs. All good again! No video this time. The guys at the field said it reminded them of a bat. Guess I need to look that one up. Going to start printing tiled plans so I can make another.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
So, it's had an inconsistent problem since the cratering up at Edgewater. Cratered again at the local field do to these "inconsistencies". Well, When one of your two diversity antennas is disconnected, and the other has bare wires that could be shorting out, you might just have inconsistencies.... Just Sayin'
IMG_20211012_173827371_HDR.jpg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Yeah, so there was only 1 string left on the frayed side. Cut and soldered new "32mm" antennas, will hot glue the insulation so it will be less likely to pull off/break at the RX, and am going to check it all out before taking out to the field, where I will range test it before next flight.
16340806811058372627847297132035.jpg

Mr.Grinch

Are the printed motor mounts on thingiverse or elsewhere to be able to download? I might have a printer showing up under a tree in a few months… I have no experience designing or printing so I’m trying to find good components that I can use to kind of reverse engineer and help me understand.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Building a replacement for my original FT Dart Speed build Kit.

Screenshot from 2024-02-09 17-15-01.png

Screenshot from 2024-02-09 17-10-22.png

IMG_20240214_151707415.jpg

The original build is super mushy in a few key places. I set up lightburn files to etch the foamboard, then use a right angle edge to score and cut.

Hopefully I get video of this one. :-D

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited: