*Unofficial* FT Dart

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well, what a waste of my time and effort. this thing is just jacked. not sure what is wrong but i know i'm done messing with it. tried to fly it 3 times today. each time it was completely uncontrollable, rolled over and went head first into the dirt. all surfaces and throws are good so it has to be the mixing and differential on the motors. anyways, on the 3rd attempt it came down pretty hard on one of the power pods and busted the firewall. in most planes this wouldn't be an issue but with this it's almost a killer. not sure it is going to recover from this one and frankly not to sure i care...

laters,

me :cool:

JGplanes

Don't give up! It's a really cool plane, and I would hate to see the time an effort scrapped. If at first you don't succeed, try try again... :)

JG

Navydiver71

2 things... 1. Where are the actual usable files that you can download for the FT plans? (Mustang, Storch, Mig3, etc...).
2. I have inkscape... Affinity Designer... AND Adobe Illustrator. NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THESE PROGRAMS WILL LET ME DO THING ON THE PLANS I HAVE DOWNLOADED! So what gives? I have watched videos, I have mimicked what I have seen (attempted with plans) and generally have wasted a ton of time (and shockingly money), and have gotten NOWHERE! So whats the big secret?
Using Mac OS10, a computer DESIGNED for graphics...????!?!?!?!?!?

Navydiver71

I have no idea how this got posted here, as I was in the Skins page when i was typing? I will repost it there. Sorry for the crossposting, thank you.

Navydiver71

The Storch is definitely one of the skins I am seeking. I can provide an email address if the PM doesn't work?
Also, I m seeking skins for the DR1, SE5, Mustang, Mig3, Bronco, Cub, Mini F-22, Etc...
Lastly, I would like to design my own skins, just because I enjoy doing such things. I know theres a way as there are people doing so... I just want to know why I can't seem to get the plans to import and be outlined or anything else to add color and or details?

Thank You for the offer!!!!!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
@Navydiver71 ,

I am a good friend of Rasterize and we just spent sometime building the skins for my Red Bull Racer entrance. what you need to do is download inkscape (or pay for adobe illustrator) and start playing with it. there are tons of instructional videos online that will help. once you got the basics, then you can start building shapes and using them as a "cookie" cutter over the top of .jpg's. Do a google image search for what you want, find the largest version you can, then import it into inkscape. place your shape on top, and cut. you now have a perfectly matched piece. then you can start adding details like decals once that is complete. in order to do this you need to know how to move and object up and down (top, bottom), how to set up layers, move items on the layers, and even move layers up and down. it sounds difficult but with a little practice you can do it. if all you want is a simple camo job, it can be done very easily.

if you want any of his skins in specific, let me know and i can get them for you.

laters,

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Has anyone else put a FC into their Dart? I had the TinyFish, but it isn't able to run iNav and BetaFlight is not good for fixed wing. I have been running the Matek F411-wing in a foam wing I have and it is great! Tiny board for what it is, with BECs built in and has full iNav capability. I have one that should be delivered tonight, already have the plane ready for it. I will share pics, maybe video, and I will definitely share the setup for the FC in case anyone newer to iNav would like to try it out.

HilldaFlyer

Has anyone else put a FC into their Dart? I had the TinyFish, but it isn't able to run iNav and BetaFlight is not good for fixed wing. I have been running the Matek F411-wing in a foam wing I have and it is great! Tiny board for what it is, with BECs built in and has full iNav capability. I have one that should be delivered tonight, already have the plane ready for it. I will share pics, maybe video, and I will definitely share the setup for the FC in case anyone newer to iNav would like to try it out.

I've successfully used BetaFlight on a fixed wing plane. What's the problem you are having?

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I've successfully used BetaFlight on a fixed wing plane. What's the problem you are having?
The PIDs were all screwy, when I tried an sort of stabilized mode it just propoised uncontrollably. I am very familiar with iNav and the F411wing so it will be easier for me to just set it up and fly, vs messing with BF. Love BF for my quads, but iNav works great for me with planes so I prefer it.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Got my Matek F411-Wing FC in the other day, soldered it all up and tried to do a maiden, well I guess I technically did maiden it but it was too windy and I only "flew" it LOS. I adjusted some of the iNav settings and today there was far less wind so I took it out to the park and tried again. She flies nice! Still need to tweak my iNav settings but I was able to fly FPV and had fun with the little plane. I will continue to adjust the settings and if anyone else wants to do the same and needs help PM me or comment on my YT video and I will help as much as I can. I will also share my DIFF ALL to anyone that wants an initial setup for the F411 on iNav 2.0.0
Here is after I soldered the FC up, note that the FC is in backwards to have the power pads near the passthru for the battery lead, but also to have it closer to the ESC power wires, I did extend the ESC wires for my left motor. I also was waiting on my FrSky receiver and wanted to test the plane, som in this picture there is a FlSky receiver, but that has been swapped out. Finally, the camera is just hanging off the front, just out of site.
IMG_20180920_213827.jpg

Here is after I put the top plate on. The three holes behind the camera are attempts at cooling for the VTX.
IMG_20180926_195918.jpg

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Last night I got my GPS module installed, did a quick flight around the yard on 2S, and the GPS seemed to be working well. I was getting up to 14 satelites before arm, but the FC was still not accepting the lock. However after landing that seemed to clear up. Next flight I will test some of the GPS Nav functions. Really only looking for speed and direction to home on this, but having the Return To Home function is a plus too.
I got the FC and GPS from RMRC
https://www.readymaderc.com/products/details/matek-flight-controller-f411-wing
https://www.readymaderc.com/products/details/rmrc-mini-gps

Shifted the XM receiver to the side a little, cut the foam to fit it in. And then put the GPS module centered.
IMG_20181001_174319.jpg

**Update 4 October
Flew first 2S flight with the the GPS

Last edited:

Flying Oscar

I just flew my FT Dart for the first time today!:D It flew great, though I didn't fly it well... It's only my second plane, and the twitchiness took some time to get used to! I'm still learning how to turn, but that will have to wait until next weekend since I crashed it and COULD NOT FIND the battery + compartment in the thick grass.:( As far as I can tell, the whole thing is very durable except for the nacelles which have both already snapped and had to be glued.:rolleyes: Anyways, I will be having a LOT of fun with this plane in the future!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i decided to pull out the dart again and see if i could get it to fly. 1st day 3 attempts all 3 same as old, good launch, then pull to the right and bang. took it home, scratched my head a little, made some changes to programing to solve the unequal throttle response and thought for sure i had it whooped. went out next day and tried again, same story. not sure what i did, or am doing wrong but i have had ZERO luck with the 2 darts i have build and the twin sparrow. something about the PDB, quad ESC's, and being able to match their output.

oh well, onward and upward. maybe we will try again at some point but i think i will be repurposing all my 1106's for micro 3D flyers. i tried to buy a twin sparrow kit from FT, but the shipping was more than the kit so i said NO!

laters,

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
i decided to pull out the dart again and see if i could get it to fly. 1st day 3 attempts all 3 same as old, good launch, then pull to the right and bang. took it home, scratched my head a little, made some changes to programing to solve the unequal throttle response and thought for sure i had it whooped. went out next day and tried again, same story. not sure what i did, or am doing wrong but i have had ZERO luck with the 2 darts i have build and the twin sparrow. something about the PDB, quad ESC's, and being able to match their output.

oh well, onward and upward. maybe we will try again at some point but i think i will be repurposing all my 1106's for micro 3D flyers. i tried to buy a twin sparrow kit from FT, but the shipping was more than the kit so i said NO!

laters,

How are you doing the throttle mixing? What radio are you using?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i have differential thrust set up exactly like Josh said, using a spektrum dx8. i know programming is correct because i have used it several other planes, but for some reason i just cant seem to get both motors to time equally on this one.

laters,