*Unofficial* FT Dart

br0k3nilluzion

What ever happened to all of Rasterizes' Dart Decals? They disappeared. Was wanting to try the Steam punk set and its nowhere to be found

br0k3nilluzion

Has anyone got the .stl file on the build site to download so as to put the file onto thumb drive ?
I want to send the file to a buddy to print, but it only shows a page of Asii characters.
Is there another place I could download from?
what stl file are you wanting?

br0k3nilluzion

br0k3nilluzion

It is the red one that is on the official ft dart build page https://www.flitetest.com/articles/ft-dart
https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.flitetest.com/editor_files/1520970383587-FT+Dart+FPV+Pod.stl

The First file gets you near and in this file on the build file there is a file for the pod in red highlites.
are you wanting the gcode so your friend can print right away? if so I need to know what setup your friend has. I have some Ender 3's and some CR10S'.. plus stock hotends. 0.4mm nozzles, 1.75mm filaments..
the .stl file is downloaded with the link you sent, so that is the file you'd want to send to your friend, generally. So he can slice it in his slicer of choice; which would be modded to his specific printer anyways. So that'd honestly be preferrable.

br0k3nilluzion

just finished mine.

i am lucky enough to have Rasterize as a club member and a friend. when i texted him the other night asking if he could make some skins for the Dart. his first response was, "How about a Steampunk version?" sounds great to me i said. few days later i had the kit and skins (pretty sure the skins are posted) and i just finished my build.

thanks to Steven and FT for the build.

View attachment 104236

View attachment 104237

View attachment 104238

made a few mistakes. totally messed up the first PDB when soldering. got + and - puddled together. found another PDB at the local shop and made it work. fast forward to last night, rushing ahead because i wanted to fly it this morning and i glue the power pods on upside down. duh! i assume all is lost and begin to hack one up to see if i can save the balsa. no go. at this point i stopped, unplugged the glue gun and went to watch a movie.

i flew this morning and had a blast. maidened a done up FT Vector, it flew awesome both times. crazy high alpha and the funnest loop you can imagine. flew the mini-arrow 2x, the Wacky Waco (used to be a bi-plane) 2x, but the whole time i was thinking about the dart and how i could make it work. it is so new, parts aren't even available (until of course i check here and find stl. files) and after all the work i couldn't just walk away.

soooo.....i cut some balsa, pieced it in where the pods should have been, and glued it it. the other pod that i had hacked up the night before needed a little more attention...

anyways. this is what we got. it balances perfectly with a 3S-400mah turnigy stuffed all the way up. programing was easy due to Josh's wonderful screenshots in the build video. all seems good.

one little thing it kinda bugging me though. in the build video and in my own version. it appears as though one motor is farther out than the other. am i crazy? did i mess something up? or is that intentional?

laters,

jason ;)
Do you still have the file/pdf for this?

IcedStorm777

Is this a fun plane? What batterys are reccomended for 3s and 4s? How fast is it on 3s and how fast is it on 4s? What is good quality (but preferably cheap)camera like a runcam split but maybe something that is cheaper? So something that can record HD and fly FPV? How long are flights on the Dart? Also how do you get the HD film off of the camera and onto a device? thanks!

eeck62

Icedstorm777,
Check out the first post to this thread and the FT videos in that first post. That will answer a lot of your questions. The other questions are mostly covered throughout. I haven’t built the Dart yet but I have been watching it to build at some point. Good luck!

IcedStorm777

Anyone have ANY electronics for the FT dart or an FT dart that they want to sell or trade for?. I REALLY want an FT dart but don't have the money to buy the electronics for one :(

metaldirtnskin

are you wanting the gcode so your friend can print right away? if so I need to know what setup your friend has. I have some Ender 3's and some CR10S'.. plus stock hotends. 0.4mm nozzles, 1.75mm filaments..
the .stl file is downloaded with the link you sent, so that is the file you'd want to send to your friend, generally. So he can slice it in his slicer of choice; which would be modded to his specific printer anyways. So that'd honestly be preferrable.

If you'd be willing to shoot over the gcode that would be fantastic. I bit the bullet and bought an Ender 3 Pro and am going to try to print the pod so I can get the FPV/iNav version in the air finally.

metaldirtnskin

OK, has anyone ever successfully printed the .stl file that FT provides for their FPV pod? Granted, I have owned my 3D printer for all of a week, but unlike everything else I've downloaded and printed, there are multiple objects in the file and it doesn't seem to be printable as is. I guess it should be possible to split it into three separate parts, but I cannot figure out how to do that.

5546dug

I do not have access to a printer, but would like to be able to get a local source to print it but at this time all I get is pages of binary Gooblygook, I was hoping to d/l the file to a thumb drive.
But it looks like want I wanted.
I got an AKK F5 module from banggood and small runn cam for it.
So it would be nice to see someone able to use the stl file.

antonvh

What is the best position of the FT Dart motors? I have 3D printed both types of motor mounts, but I'm in doubt which ones are the best...

The props on the FT Dart are real small, 3 Inch, so I'm worried about the effective air displacement with the wings right behind them.

I have already built one dart with the regular mounts. I felt an up tendency on full throttle, but not so much that I consider mixing down with throttle on the tx. The handling was ok.

Paper.Papa’s ideeen.29.png

5546dug

Still no one with the cam pod stl file ?

Have the Creality ender3 pro printer now seems good to play with using normal filaments

5546dug

What is the best position of the FT Dart motors? I have 3D printed both types of motor mounts, but I'm in doubt which ones are the best...

The props on the FT Dart are real small, 3 Inch, so I'm worried about the effective air displacement with the wings right behind them.

I have already built one dart with the regular mounts. I felt an up tendency on full throttle, but not so much that I consider mixing down with throttle on the tx. The handling was ok.

View attachment 135159
Not sure if mid cord would be less but might be safer for props

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

View attachment 135159
The position I would recommend is the right hand illustration. The right hand illustration would give the most lift as it is the airflow over the top of the wing that generates the majority of the lift. The "More Pressure" argument is mute as the air does not remain in place but rapidly bleeds away to regions of lower pressure at around 900MPH regardless of the planes direction of travel.

The idea of a wing is that it parts the air into 2 separate streams, one over the wing and the other under the wing so the argument for more airflow on the left is also a fallacy. There may be a little less drag on the left but a properly fitted spinner would reduce that markedly!
When gliding on for a landing the illustration on the right would present less frontal area and therefore less drag. Lower drag means higher performance in simple terms.

The illustration on the right would give a bit less of a nose up pitch at full throttle, (compared to the left illustration), so a little down thrust should be built into the installation..

If the powerpod could be made such that it brings the wing LE forward to just behind the prop then the drag issues would be minimized and the high speed performance enhanced.

In Summary the right hand illustration is the better general installation position.

Have fun!

metaldirtnskin

I did finally get the pod to print - I rotated it so the "back" was on the bed and had the slicer generate supports, which did work although it ended up with a huge amount of support material. However, the Runcam Split appears to need two (or three?) extra channels to control the camera or even to get it set up and working. Since I have a DX6e I don't have that many channels to spare... so I need to either find a different split cam, give up on the HD and use a simple FPV cam, or buy a new radio (which I was considering anyway). This airplane has been a "two steps forward, one step back" endeavor from the beginning, but maybe I'll get there eventually.

If anyone needs one of these and doesn't have a printer, I'll make one for you if you shoot me a couple bucks to cover postage and filament. Let me know; you can have it in any colour you like as long as it is green.

5sLomtI.jpg