*Unofficial* FT Goblin

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose

This Goblin was built with the heavier Office Max foamboard, 2205 Red Bottom F pack motor, 20 amp esc on a 3 cell battery.

I initially flew it with a 6x3 2 blade prop because that has been my go to prop for the minis. When I flew it at FF I was disappointed and miserable. It would barely fly. It had no power at all. Couldn't even pull a loop from level flight. Then I met my new friend Brian.

Brian had a much much lighter brown foamboard version of the Goblin and his was ballistic. Mine was just too heavy I thought. But he also had a cool 5x5 three blade prop installed. I asked him about it and bummed a prop off of him.

Man!! What a difference. With the prop change, I could launch easier, had nice speed and great vertical. Now I was happy. :cool:

This plane flies great and is a big step up in FT performance. I like it! Be aware of one thing though. It is extremely sensitive on the roll axis. I flew with 35% throw on the roll axis and it still rolled faster than I was accustomed. This should be Sunday's combat. The Goblin is there. You need to scroll down to find the video. It's a reply by Jimmy Allen.

@PsyBorg No personal video. But if we get something from Sunday's combat we'll see it.

Last edited:

tamuct01

I'm glad I was able to help, and that the DAL 5x5x3 prop worked for you. On the windy Saturday, I managed to crash mine and break the nose off when the gust of wind I was riding disappeared on landing! It should be quickly repairable with some glue and tape!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I'm glad I was able to help, and that the DAL 5x5x3 prop worked for you. On the windy Saturday, I managed to crash mine and break the nose off when the gust of wind I was riding disappeared on landing! It should be quickly repairable with some glue and tape!

Haha. Thank you again! I could tell how much you liked it. You're likely to build another. I know I am. I actually sold mine as well as the Kraken. Electronics and all. I had expected to disect them to death harvesting the electronics, but somebody wanted them.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Started building a FT Goblin for another person at the flying club. Can't go any further until he supplies the receiver, ESC, Servos and motor.
Think it will look good in the black and white foamboard.
IMG_20181106_212552515.jpg

Mode 1

Gonna scratch build one of these this weekend. Any tips that I should consider before I begin?

Looking forward to flying this.

Steve Fox

creating the card templates for this at the moment (I always make card templates for fast repairs or complete rebuilds) , motor destined for it is a 2406 2600kv.
Specs with a 6040 prop on 3s state just shy of 1.2kg of thrust, don't think I'm gonna have any issues climbing lol.

Steves top tip: milk jug plastic bonded to the belly will make your plane last, no more digs in the foam from landings.
Score the milk jug plastic to give the hot glue something to bond too, put the glue on the plane and not the plastic as it cools very fast and use a debit card or similar to spread the glue once you have the two stuck together.
A heat gun or hair dryer can be used to gently heat the underside of the plane if you don't manage to spread it evenly before it cools.

All my belly landers have milk jug plastic on them, I don't build without it anymore, I also use round the edge on wings that attach with rubber bands to stop them cutting into the foam.

Last edited:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
It was suggested to me to consider adding a tail skid to protect the prop on landing. Something like what the Tiny Trainer uses should be good.

Steve Fox

Yea, don’t forget reflex on the elevons! (Experience talking)
I've built and flown all sorts of conventional airframes but this will be my first wing.
reflex is a new thing to me, I know what it is, what it does but not how much the goblin needs.
On yours, how many mm is the top surface of the elevons raised from the wing surface if measured at the trailing edge please?

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I've built and flown all sorts of conventional airframes but this will be my first wing.
reflex is a new thing to me, I know what it is, what it does but not how much the goblin needs.
On yours, how many mm is the top surface of the elevons raised from the wing surface if measured at the trailing edge please?

The recommended reflex is the thickness of the foamboard. That's slightly less than 5 mm.

RickyG

I'm out of control! I got both the Strix Nano Goblin and the FT Goblin a couple weeks ago and maidened the Strix Nano Goblin this afternoon. I put so much "stuff" in the FT Goblin it's a bit on the heavy side pushing 520g.

My setup:
F Power Pack
3s Lipo 2200mah
Matek F405 mini
RMRC UBLOX M8N GPS
Multiwii MWC FC Bluetooth Module Programmer (worked great on the bench, now I can't get it to connect at all)
Runcam Split Mini 2
Spektrum FPV Quad Race Serial Receiver
ImmersionRC Tramp HV 5.8GHz

Ricky

Attachments

• 20181119_172138.jpg
    20181119_172138.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 0

CapnBry

Elite member
I'm happy to see I'm not the only person who has forgotten to advance the throttle before Autolaunch. I set mine to spin the prop at minimum throttle to let me know it is armed and ready to launch (I think it was just adjusting min throttle and turning off 'Dont spin motors when armed'?). The prop spins so slowly that I've never chopped my finger when throwing it and even if it did hit me I think it wouldn't do much damage. It is pretty magical though to just give the plane any decent toss and the motor spools up and starts to climb out straight and level.

Overprop

Ok so I started my Ugly Goblin Farty Fan addition. I'm trying to squeeze a 64mm EDF into the belly of the Goblin.

The wings couldn't be joined in the middle so required bracing with carbon rods. This also meant I could mess about with the wings and decided to sweep them back a bit.

Next was to build the intake ducts. I've gone for a bunker style top intake and two under wing intakes. Then the poor goblin needed some liposuction and a tummy tuck to fit this oversized farter in. This felt like a major surgical operation!

Its going to be an interesting maiden. This is the Ugly Goblin so far...

Attachments

• 20181130_155120.jpg
    20181130_155120.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20181130_155101.jpg
    20181130_155101.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20181130_155140.jpg
    20181130_155140.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20181130_155157.jpg
    20181130_155157.jpg