*Unofficial* FT Goblin

Airkaos

Having fun with some goblins.

http://splice.gopro.com/v?id=X2Goa2

1626BB07-AF2E-43ED-B445-A756303C5E49.jpeg
F843B218-1D42-4B51-A75C-BF75BE559C10.jpeg

Yayat

I'm happy to see I'm not the only person who has forgotten to advance the throttle before Autolaunch. I set mine to spin the prop at minimum throttle to let me know it is armed and ready to launch (I think it was just adjusting min throttle and turning off 'Dont spin motors when armed'?). The prop spins so slowly that I've never chopped my finger when throwing it and even if it did hit me I think it wouldn't do much damage. It is pretty magical though to just give the plane any decent toss and the motor spools up and starts to climb out straight and level.
Lol. For me, Nav launch just for fun. I don't mind launch it manually. It is Just "fancy feature" for me :D

donalson

got my plans taped and cut out on card stock last night... going to start building it here soon... LOS only setup initially... I'm still playing with ideas on long range builds... was playing with/getting my FC setup last night as well... I still am thinking i'm best off with a blunt nose versa... built a center section and verfied my camera fits how I'd like and I know I can fit two 2200 3s lipos without issue while running a larger, very efficent motor... but i've seen what the goblin can do... I want to build one as just a fun quick FPV build anway so that is what this one will eventually be once I get my 3d printer to print out the camera mount.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
after my last one caught fire from over motor/battery/prop-ing, i decided this time to go big or go home.

running a brother hobby 2507-2500kv, YEP 60A esc, 3S-2200 or 4S-1300, 6.45 prop to start with on 3S. will switch to 5x3x3 for 4S maybe? will see how it does.

deff heavier than my last...

20181225_164027.jpg

20181225_191604.jpg

this motor is supposed to put out stupid power. it is my hope to make this my new FPV rig. tough, easy to build, cheap, and unobstructed view from the front.

we will see thursday, supposed to rain tomorrow...

laters,

me :cool:

Paracodespoder

Elite member
after my last one caught fire from over motor/battery/prop-ing, i decided this time to go big or go home.

running a brother hobby 2507-2500kv, YEP 60A esc, 3S-2200 or 4S-1300, 6.45 prop to start with on 3S. will switch to 5x3x3 for 4S maybe? will see how it does....

laters,

ARE YOU CRAZY? That sounds like TO much fun, be prepared for high speed confetti (I want to see pictures of it). You sound like me, I always want to overpower things even if I don’t have the motors to do it, I like speed😁. Have fun, good luck, and Merry Christmas.

Overprop

Finished my EDF Goblin, it was a squeeze, had to cut a lot out of the belly. Made 4 air intakes. CG seems good. Running it on 2x 1300mah 3s in parallel. Ready to maiden!

Attachments

• 20181230_100823.jpg
    20181230_100823.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20181230_100911.jpg
    20181230_100911.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20181230_100944.jpg
    20181230_100944.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20181230_100857.jpg
    20181230_100857.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well, that was quick.

not sure what really happened but as i throttled up, got a hand launch, it seem fine, then just dove nose first into the ground. lasted all of 2 seconds.

so far, every airplane i have tried to use these brotherhobby motors, and this stupid YEP 60a esc, i have had nothing but trouble. 1st, i don't think i believe any of the numbers being posted for these motors. i think the are powerful, but not what they say. i also hate this stupid ESC. for the price i paid for it, it should be golden. i know they come programed for a helo, but i got the programing card, watched all the videos, set the programing as it should, and it seems each time i plug it in it does something diff. today it decided it was going to go back to a soft start, i had to throttle up about 25% before it would kick in, then it went nuts. after some fiddling, i was able to at least get it to be somewhat consistent but still not right. i thought what the heck, and tossed it into the sky. the rest is history.

i think i will be able to glue it back together w/o much issue, but until i can get this motor/esc combo figured out i don't have any confidence that it is gonna work.

laters,

dutchmonkey

This is my second goblin I wanted to try a larger span this one is a full meter. I also added vortex generators. This will fly with a 2205 redbottom motor and a 2200 3s battery. I am hoping for some longer flights with the added wing area

Attachments

• 20181231_190109.jpg
    20181231_190109.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well, seems i have figured out the motor/esc issues. flew this thing 2x today and OMG it is fast! i would put it easily over 100mph and closer to 120 if i had to guess. i flew my eflite V900 just after and it was pretty much the same speed. i cannot believe how quick this thing get's across the sky and how quickly it will climb into the air. this thing is just stupid fast but amazingly stable. at no point did i feel like it was too much. it just wanted to go faster. my motor is rated up to 6S, i cannot even imaging what that would be like. the 4S-2400mah LiHV that i used today was more than enough for me.

hard to believe 100+ mph with a $1 worth of foam board. already has become one of my new favorites.

laters,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
finally got some video of this thing in action. it is just stupid fast and almost impossible to to keep up with the camera. not the best video as a result but you still at least get the noise!

flew it 2x today both were amazing fun. after the second flight i took it over to another member who had been eyeballing it and gave it to him. he had given me a few planes in the past and i felt like it was the least i could do. plus, i got all the electronics to build another one even faster so why not?

laters,

Duck

I managed the build with the foam camera mount but ran out of batteries before I managed the maiden this weekend. My biggest concern is actually not what happens in a crash but just camera tilt as the mount relies on the friction from the single mounting screw on each side instead of using an adjustable mounting rail. I may just slather the whole thing in hot glue and hope for the best. Given the limited adhesion to the painted metal frame, it should just peel off if I need to adjust it later. I had to widen the camera hole slightly to make room given that my only choice for mounting was either 1-2mm sticking out or 6-7mm recessed which meant the foam blocked the view not just top/bottom but side to side as well.

Has anyone else attempted similar? I am interested in any results or tips.

View attachment 115484 View attachment 115485

Good news! With a few layers of foam slipped between the camera and the base to keep the camera angle strait, the goblin flies just fine with the foam camera mount. I even did a high speed landing for strength testing and it held up fine. I am sure if I hit camera first it would have pushed the camera in. That might actually be better for the camera as it can let the nose take a lot of the force.

telefunken

Scratch Built this over the course of 24 hours and maidened it yesterday. Easily the most fun plane in my hangar!

This thing is a bullet with a Racestar 2205 2300kv motor and a 30A esc running on 3s 2200 - Freaked me out at first.

Took a lot of reflex to get it to stop dropping. The bottom of my Elevon is about a foam board width's above the top of the wing.

Anyway, great design and awesome plane. I plan on making a few mods to make some inner parts of the plane more accessible.

Don't know how I'm going to handle FPV on this thing, but time will tell!