*Unofficial* FT Goblin

BorisTheSpider

Has anyone played with the vertical stabilizers yet? Different shapes, or maybe just mounting them upside-down? Thought it would help protect props -- especially three-blade -- and I don't know if it will have any adverse effects assuming you keep the surface area the same.

BorisTheSpider

Tried to maiden #4 today... Cheap servo made it a short trip...
BUT some good DID come out of it as it proves my design for a 3D printed nose reinforcement for the Goblin.
(Had a 2200 in the nose, if that didn't cause it to come loose/fail I don't know what will!)

For Science!!

All those Goblins without noses should start rejoicing!
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3170446

You could cut that in half, right down the middle. Then lay it on its sides and print without supports. I would think gluing it in place as normal would maintain the intended purpose.

guapoman2000

Hello good people! My friend invited me to come over and record his Maiden Flight of his Goblin.

My Friend is Mark S. from Titusville, Florida and he did a great job on his! Hand launch was uneventful as another buddy did the honors.
Mark's Goblin tracks like it's on rails. He was saying that he needed a little more Aileron authority (travel?).

Does not have a spar as I understand and he mod the front to have a better support for battery (3-Cell, 1300mAH).

However, were I was standing his Goblin was doing pretty good.

Video:

Javiester

Elite member
What do you do when you can't fly because of bad weather?
well build

IMG_20190915_102557.jpg

IMG_20190915_102622.jpg
IMG_20190915_102421.jpg

as always with the Spanish foam is a bit heavy, 400gm without battery
we'll see if it flies
I have put a racestar br 2205 2300kv with apc 6x4
I hope to succeed, if so I will mount the camera / transmitter all in one

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
What do you do when you can't fly because of bad weather?
well build

View attachment 142713
View attachment 142714 View attachment 142715
as always with the Spanish foam is a bit heavy, 400gm without battery
we'll see if it flies
I have put a racestar br 2205 2300kv with apc 6x4
I hope to succeed, if so I will mount the camera / transmitter all in one
Very near CE looking. I just love flying my FT Goblin, people who see it are always impressed with its agility, speed and yet how slow it can fly and it's lack of a stall.
*Nice looking

Last edited:

Airkaos

Donaldson, I should have clarifies why the FT vs the Nano Goblin. Here in North Texas we average 14-15 mph winds. With the Nano, I just get blown around a little too much especially when flying higher than 50-75 feet. When flying into the wind it sometimes struggles pretty bad. I was thinking that a little heavier plane I might cut the wind better. I have a fully functioning large Sky Hunter but it’s hard to move around. A medium size/weight plane would be easier to take in the car. That was a big reason for going with the Nano. Funny, I did actually look at the VAS Ghost but not sure it can handle the weight of a 1.3 system and handle the wind. I have a couple of VAS planes and love them.
As far as INAV, the issue is likely the board, mini f405, even though it’s calibrated and all shows proper working when hooked up to the computer, rth and horizon send it straight to the ground. I just downloaded the new firmware and hope to get a retest flight this weekend.

When I am setting up INAV, I normally play with the calibration, and make sure that I get 5 to 10° nose up when the craft is level, that’s the only way I got rid of the aircraft diving on level flight.
Also make sure on your first flight to do the auto-trim function, do not trim the craft on the radio, it makes a world of difference, here’s a great video

andrej

And what if you make twin motors from this wing? It should fly more stably, and maybe it will not become so noisy? If I get into CG, can I make a wing without a fuselage?

otto54

This is my second goblin I wanted to try a larger span this one is a full meter. I also added vortex generators. This will fly with a 2205 redbottom motor and a 2200 3s battery. I am hoping for some longer flights with the added wing area
like this one

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
make a center section that is 240mm in width and copy the where the score marks are then glue the other wings to the center section.
if i had a clue as to make plans i would of done them.

(Sorry if this didn't make sense but i dont know how to explain things well)

superhappyfun

I put a Frsky GPS module in my FT Goblin and did some speed runs. Several of the runs were 80 mph+ and my top speed was 90 mph. Each run had ~10-15 mph tail wind and ~60m drop in elevation. My power setup was...

Emax 2300KV 2205 motor
1500mah 4s battery
3 Blade 5x4.5 prop

Graph below shows the speed (green line) and altitude (red line). I don't think this plane can break 100mph without going 6S.

Attachments

• Figure_1.png
    Figure_1.png
    128.1 KB · Views: 0
I extended the rear fuselage of the goblin to make a tailed version :) It flies awesome! If you are scratch building it's really a very simple mod (just extend the lines on the external fuselage piece to your desired length). I added tiny trainer vertical and horizontal stabilizers and two 1507 motors and it rips! I'll take some pics next time I build one showing the different steps.

Attachments

• gb pic.PNG
    gb pic.PNG
    480.7 KB · Views: 0
I extended the rear fuselage of the goblin to make a tailed version :) It flies awesome! If you are scratch building it's really a very simple mod (just extend the lines on the external fuselage piece to your desired length). I added tiny trainer vertical and horizontal stabilizers and two 1507 motors and it rips! I'll take some pics next time I build one showing the different steps.
That looks like a little hotrod thing!

If anyone is interested in building the tailed version of the Goblin (AKA the Kobald, found out a goblin with tail is called a Kobald) here is a quick pic of the needed extension to the tail. You just extend the fuselage roughly 9 inches back. The only other mods to the airframe is the bottom fuselage. You may have to trace out the profile of the bottom fuselage of your build and make a custom bottom fuselage piece.

I also created a v-tail version of the plane using the v-tail stabilizers from the ft sparrow. I haven't put electronics in the v-tail version yet but i'm sure it would fly great too.

Attachments

• GB Mod.jpg
    GB Mod.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 0
  • gbv.jpg
    gbv.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 0