*Unofficial* FT Legacy (Founders Plane)

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
My Flite Test Volunteer themed FT Legacy is easy to see.

DSC_3777.JPG
DSC_3776 (1).JPG
DSC_3785.JPG

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
What combination of motors, props and battery are you using?

My set up was from my decommissioned FT H Quad (if you have ever heard of that from way back).
________________________________________________________________________________
Motors: 2x 900kv 2215J Turnigy - not the most powerful, but they work ok, I would go bigger and may still)
ESC: 2x 30amp Turnigy Plush
Props: 10x4.5 (Green) - (not 100%,could be 11x4.5 but they are definitely green, ha)
Battery: 4s 2200 Aspec2

Group photo after the FT Legacy flight at FFO18.
37128836_1536733106433266_3276138003268894720_o.jpg

Jorge Pi

My set up was from my decommissioned FT H Quad (if you have ever heard of that from way back).
________________________________________________________________________________
Motors: 2x 900kv 2215J Turnigy - not the most powerful, but they work ok, I would go bigger and may still)
ESC: 2x 30amp Turnigy Plush
Props: 10x4.5 (Green) - (not 100%,could be 11x4.5 but they are definitely green, ha)
Battery: 4s 2200 Aspec2

Group photo after the FT Legacy flight at FFO18.
Thank you for the info, I have one of those H quads myself.

paytonc11

Hello, I couldn’t find if it had been covered or not, but I have the hardest time using the bomb bay because of the direction it opens. The wind forces it closed even after you release it. Any tricks y’all have done to get around this?

Hello, I couldn’t find if it had been covered or not, but I have the hardest time using the bomb bay because of the direction it opens. The wind forces it closed even after you release it. Any tricks y’all have done to get around this?

I added a bomb door of sorts to a bloody baron one time. I would pull up and almost stall out before releasing it. I also tried using a rubber band or two for the "door". then I could release at any speed I wanted. Just hook one end over the servo arm as a hook and then staple the other end to the fuse, just depends on what you are dropping when using that.

BorisTheSpider

2m and under, probably yes.

2x B, Probably no.
Dang. Twin B's is what I have right now. I was hoping I could make it happen (specifically towing up Tiny Trainers, the new EZ Glider, or even Sparrows). I haven't yet flown anything so big, and definitely haven't tried towing anything, so I'm glad I asked. I like the idea of the Legacy as a glider tow plane because it really encompasses the whole idea behind FT, Edgewater, and the Founders -- that is, working to build the community and get more people in the air.

Not sure this is the right thread to ask this, but I'm also curious about whether anyone has tried making/using different wings for the Legacy yet.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Dang. Twin B's is what I have right now. I was hoping I could make it happen (specifically towing up Tiny Trainers, the new EZ Glider, or even Sparrows). I haven't yet flown anything so big, and definitely haven't tried towing anything, so I'm glad I asked. I like the idea of the Legacy as a glider tow plane because it really encompasses the whole idea behind FT, Edgewater, and the Founders -- that is, working to build the community and get more people in the air.

Not sure this is the right thread to ask this, but I'm also curious about whether anyone has tried making/using different wings for the Legacy yet.

Go ahead and build out the twin B -- it'll be more than enough to get her airborne, you just won't have the margin you need to add a lot of drag behind you. Get her flying, enjoy . . . And upgrade when you can.

As for "different" wings, she's a big enough bird you should have good margin to tinker. I ended up re-jiggering the tail and under-slinging the wing nacelles to let her take on the look of a Ford Trimotor. The telemaster format she was derrived from is pretty maliable. In a lot of ways, you're limited more by what you can dream up than making that dream workable . . . So long as you're prepared to learn from the failures ;)

gloobnib

After a few weekends building (and waiting for radio gear), I finally got a chance to maiden my Legacy last night. I'm definitely loving this plane so far.

This is my first twin-engine plane and I'm really enjoying the yaw authority the differential thrust gives me; I've never been able to do hammerheads before but now can. I need to practice coordinating the other surfaces so that I don't pull out off-axis from where I started, but I'm loving it!

I built this one using the tape techniques from Experimental Airlines. The tape added a good bit of weight; I had to go all the way to a 3S 5000Mah battery to get it to balance. On the plus side, that means I'm getting 15-20 minute flights on a battery (that includes a good deal of aerobatics).

Looking for some suggestions on how to improve ground handling; it is a bit squirrelly and wants to do ground loops if I try to taxi at anything more than a crawl. Once I have it basically where I want it, with 45-degree flaps I can get it airborne without TOO much craziness by just punching it. It still yaws quite a bit, but gets airborne in about 5-7 feet.

6pT2CCdkRkaDH7d09QhEVw_thumb_19.jpg

tamuct01

After a few weekends building (and waiting for radio gear), I finally got a chance to maiden my Legacy last night. I'm definitely loving this plane so far.

This is my first twin-engine plane and I'm really enjoying the yaw authority the differential thrust gives me; I've never been able to do hammerheads before but now can. I need to practice coordinating the other surfaces so that I don't pull out off-axis from where I started, but I'm loving it!

I built this one using the tape techniques from Experimental Airlines. The tape added a good bit of weight; I had to go all the way to a 3S 5000Mah battery to get it to balance. On the plus side, that means I'm getting 15-20 minute flights on a battery (that includes a good deal of aerobatics).

Looking for some suggestions on how to improve ground handling; it is a bit squirrelly and wants to do ground loops if I try to taxi at anything more than a crawl. Once I have it basically where I want it, with 45-degree flaps I can get it airborne without TOO much craziness by just punching it. It still yaws quite a bit, but gets airborne in about 5-7 feet.

View attachment 134094

I have the same problem with ground loops. Are you using counter-rotating props? Mine are both standard CCW, so that might lead to more ground handling issues. I also just compensate by punching it and getting it off the ground quick.