*Unofficial* FT Legacy (Founders Plane)

jack954

Maidened this last weekend and it flies great! Ran a C-pack style motor with a 10x7 prop, 2200 4s and 40amp esc. Flies nice and slow but has a great punch when I want it.
IMG_7851.jpg

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I'm going to update mine using this;
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3043957

may want to wait a few days...i'm working on a suspension system for the Legacy

the plan is to do a Mike Patey inspired STOL builds and blend some features from both Draco and his new build Scrappy. big thing is i am designing a system to add shocks from RC cars to give the plane suspension, independent both front and back.

the front i have ordered the new, longer shocks but with things the way they are it may be a couple days before i see them. the bbq in this pic represents the new shock length. i will be cutting each leg off the main gear and adding a hinge that will allow them to move up and down. there will be 2 shocks each side. once i receive them i will design the mounting points for the legs and aircraft. i also need to confirm that the shocks can support the weight of the plane

20200430_173228.jpg

the quick print proto-type of the rear swing arm. design inspired by off-road motorcycles.

20200501_190210.jpg

tail wheel shock pivot is off a ball link i stole from the RC car.

20200501_185121.jpg

almost final design.

20200501_191205.jpg

i still have a lot of work to do but once i am happy with everything i will post to tinkercad.

stay tuned...

me :cool:

RavenFly

I’m started on a scratch built twin Legacy - going to mount it to floats. I’d lIke to use the same dimensions on the landing gear at the front, screwed to the same wood plate. I can’t find the dimensions anywhere for the gear though. I may be blind, but the closest I have seen is @mrjdstewart ’s sketch above. Is the plan for the gear available? The store and Amain are both out of stock or I’d just order it and move on.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I’m started on a scratch built twin Legacy - going to mount it to floats. I’d lIke to use the same dimensions on the landing gear at the front, screwed to the same wood plate. I can’t find the dimensions anywhere for the gear though. I may be blind, but the closest I have seen is @mrjdstewart ’s sketch above. Is the plan for the gear available? The store and Amain are both out of stock or I’d just order it and move on.

i am not at home right now but when i get there i will post the measurements for you.

laters,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
sorry forgot about this..

the base is a 75mmx63mm, the bolt offset is 42mm. trailing edge of gear is 142mm. wheel mounting tab begins at 20mm wide at bend and narrows to 15mm at tip.

hope that makes sense?

RavenFly

sorry forgot about this..

the base is a 75mmx63mm, the bolt offset is 42mm. trailing edge of gear is 142mm. wheel mounting tab begins at 20mm wide at bend and narrows to 15mm at tip.

hope that makes sense?

One measurement that I think I need. If you set the wheel mounting tabs on the table, how high up is the base off the table?

THanks!

RavenFly

Trying to recreate the landing gear in wire - that will connect to the floats - is making my brain hurt trying to get all the bends right and hav e it mountable to wood box in the fuse. I may go to something easier and try to mount my old Flyzone beaver landing gear legs as the main/front mounts.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
got upper and lower shocks into beta design and printed. this print was less than 1hr so please don't mind quality. once i do final confirm i will re-print a much finer, 100% infill.

20200514_165838.jpg

also got the hinges designed for the inside of the gear legs.

20200514_162803.jpg

not sure about the 3D printed hinge but i will give it a shot. if not i will go find some metal hinge and cut to my length.

cross finegrs.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i should probably start a new post but...i'm lazy. :sneaky:

anyways, the prints mounted up almost perfect. spacing was absolute, fit perfect, prob was with the last design change i did not account for the depth and there is no room for the bolts that will mount it to the landing gear strut. hence the reason for quick prints, would have been grumpy had i invested 4+ hrs into a failed print. :rolleyes:

the mods were a simple change and are lined up in the print cue. these failed prints were good enough for me to be able to mock things up. i am happy with size and was able to confirm placements and angles of the shocks.

20200514_190105.jpg

20200514_191011.jpg

dino is pretty happy as well. that's always a good sign. :LOL:

20200514_194015.jpg

i have upper mounts printing now. they will be done in 1.5 hrs. i will start the hinges after that for a night print. by morning i should have everything i need to proceed on the gear assembly and build of the plane.

next big step is cutting the gear legs from the center assembly and mounting the 3D printed hinge.

cross fingers 'cause i'm making this up as i go. :ROFLMAO:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
upper mounts proved trickier then thought, but they are finally done. i also designed and printed the hub reducer/wheel spacer and gear hinges. i couldn't be happier. now i just got to chop the legs off and assemble. ;)

20200523_170444.jpg

wing is next...

laters,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
was a little worried i had extended wing to much but, i think now once the fuselage is at full height it will be about perfect. wing tips same story. we will see. still working on final design. will have four 5mm LED's in each wing tip. ;)

20200531_214519.jpg

laters,