*Unofficial* FT Legacy (Founders Plane)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Great news FT Legacy fans!!! The FT Legacy is set to return to the Flite Test store. That's right, the FT Legacy V2 should be hitting the Flite Test store on November 15th-ish. And, as an added bonus, Flite Test will be re-releasing FREE plans for the V2 for everyone. No date set yet on when the free plans will be available, but I will try to keep you up-to-date as I get more details on that. For more information make sure to check out the FTCA weekly podcast. The boys talked about it last week, and shared more details about it in the live podcast today too (that one should be dropping in a day or two). Looking forward to more Meglacy videos throughout the month of November.

flyin201

Ordered one already! I was a founder but waited too long to order a kit, I’m very happy to see it back!

Battery800

Elite member
Great news FT Legacy fans!!! The FT Legacy is set to return to the Flite Test store. That's right, the FT Legacy V2 should be hitting the Flite Test store on November 15th-ish. And, as an added bonus, Flite Test will be re-releasing FREE plans for the V2 for everyone. No date set yet on when the free plans will be available, but I will try to keep you up-to-date as I get more details on that. For more information make sure to check out the FTCA weekly podcast. The boys talked about it last week, and shared more details about it in the live podcast today too (that one should be dropping in a day or two). Looking forward to more Meglacy videos throughout the month of November.
Can I still make the v2 legacy with a motor in the nose?

Intashu

Elite member
Scratch building a FT legacy plane now, got a pair of 2216 motors paired with tri-blade 8" props for it already to go.

While looking it over I had a few questions and I wonder if anyone would know the answer to.. Because I can't seem to leave any of my planes alone I got to immediately find a way to customize them... and that doesn't always lead to a good flying plane!

1. Why are the motor nacelles mounted over-wing? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to mounting the Nacelles under wing? I mean they'd still be pretty much forward of wing, but with the nacelle section just below the center line of the wing instead of over. I'd think with a high wing plane you wouldn't want your thrust above everything else no? Or would doing this negatively hurt performance? I have no concerns with the prop's I intend to use striking the ground with it setup as a tail-dragger, but before I cut the wing out for mounting the motors I was curious if anyone else had done this already or if they knew why it wasn't done (or if it shouldn't be done!)

2. Anyone set it up to use a twin vertical stabilizer/rudder on the ends of the elevator instead of a single with the new additional mini vertical stabilizer fins? Feels like that would be better for a Twin engine setup.. but that brings me to my next question..

3. What is the Legacy based off? I get that many of these models are creatively made, but also often inspired by existing designs. I can't seem to pin down a twin engine, high-wing, tail-dragger plane, But it DOES seem to follow inspirations from sea planes... with added landing gear in a configuration that this type of plane would not normally have. (Grumman Goose perhaps?)

4. Big wing, twin engine.. I get the impression this thing can either float a long time in the air with minimal power, or haul some serious weight, Anyone slapped a excessively large battery into this for more flight time and if so, how big did ya go? Because a pair of 3s 2200mah battery packs seems too "normal", and this plane makes me think if I balance it right, I could easily haul some of my much larger 5000mah rc truck batteries instead!

Last edited:

Battery800

Elite member
Scratch building a FT legacy plane now, got a pair of 2216 motors paired with tri-blade 8" props for it already to go.

While looking it over I had a few questions and I wonder if anyone would know the answer to.. Because I can't seem to leave any of my planes alone I got to immediately find a way to customize them... and that doesn't always lead to a good flying plane!

1. Why are the motor nacelles mounted over-wing? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to mounting the Nacelles under wing? I mean they'd still be pretty much forward of wing, but with the nacelle section just below the center line of the wing instead of over. I'd think with a high wing plane you wouldn't want your thrust above everything else no? Or would doing this negatively hurt performance? I have no concerns with the prop's I intend to use striking the ground with it setup as a tail-dragger, but before I cut the wing out for mounting the motors I was curious if anyone else had done this already or if they knew why it wasn't done (or if it shouldn't be done!)

2. Anyone set it up to use a twin vertical stabilizer/rudder on the ends of the elevator instead of a single with the new additional mini vertical stabilizer fins? Feels like that would be better for a Twin engine setup.. but that brings me to my next question..

3. What is the Legacy based off? I get that many of these models are creatively made, but also often inspired by existing designs. I can't seem to pin down a twin engine, high-wing, tail-dragger plane, But it DOES seem to follow inspirations from sea planes... with added landing gear in a configuration that this type of plane would not normally have. (Grumman Goose perhaps?)

4. Big wing, twin engine.. I get the impression this thing can either float a long time in the air with minimal power, or haul some serious weight, Anyone slapped a excessively large battery into this for more flight time and if so, how big did ya go? Because a pair of 3s 2200mah battery packs seems too "normal", and this plane makes me think if I balance it right, I could easily haul some of my much larger 5000mah rc truck batteries instead!
Seems to be based off of the senior telemaster
1639743870576.jpg

tamuct01

I believe there's a bit of kit bashing going on with the legacy and others. The top-mounted nacelles are nearly identical to the Sea Duck. In fact, I use the 3D-printed Sea Duck cowls on my Legacy.

Not yet, but I believe they would help the ground handling of the twin Legacy. With the mass of the Legacy up high there is a nasty ground-loop tendency with the single vertical stabilizer. I might go retrofit mine to see if it helps.

Josh has mentioned before it's based on the Senior Telemaster.

Surprisingly, mine didn't do so well in the power and flight time department. I'm thinking that some of the LED lights I put in my wing messed up some of the aerodynamic characteristics. I also fly off of a 4S 3000mAh powering two 3536 910KV motors swinging a 8x6x3 or 9x6x2. The Guinea Pig and Sea Duck have a lot of similarities to the Legacy. I have flown a Guinea Pig for a long time and I'm going to build a Sea Duck (eventually!). All 3 in this line are great planes. The biggest disappointment in the Legacy is the fuselage space. Compared to the very wide body of the cavernous Guinea Pig, the capacity of the Legacy is very limited.

Good luck!

Intashu

Elite member
Making some headway over the holidays on my legacy.

Gotta say, I'm so used to 2-4 wires in my wing, this however has So many wires I'm mounting the reviever to the wing instead of the fuselage!

Added an arrow shaft for a stronger spar between the motors.. And some 3d printed and modified cowling.

Under wing motors, and twin rudder (currently plan to leave them non functional and use differential thrust hopefully!)

This thing is a beast however!

Still taping up some seams (looks better after paint) and adjusting some wiring.. Before testing everything.. So long as the tail doesn't fall off I think it will be excellent!

I may build a chunkier body for this later to give it more bomb bay area.. And at first I won't have the split flaps or the bomb bay setup.. Figured I'd crash it once or twice first!

Planning to use 2216 motors with 3 blade 8" props. Should have plenty of power to fly around off a single 5200mah 3s lipo. Guess we will see!

Attachments

• 20211225_110556.jpg
    20211225_110556.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211225_110622.jpg
    20211225_110622.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Battery800

Elite member
Making some headway over the holidays on my legacy.

Gotta say, I'm so used to 2-4 wires in my wing, this however has So many wires I'm mounting the reviever to the wing instead of the fuselage!

Added an arrow shaft for a stronger spar between the motors.. And some 3d printed and modified cowling.

Under wing motors, and twin rudder (currently plan to leave them non functional and use differential thrust hopefully!)

This thing is a beast however!

Still taping up some seams (looks better after paint) and adjusting some wiring.. Before testing everything.. So long as the tail doesn't fall off I think it will be excellent!

I may build a chunkier body for this later to give it more bomb bay area.. And at first I won't have the split flaps or the bomb bay setup.. Figured I'd crash it once or twice first!

Planning to use 2216 motors with 3 blade 8" props. Should have plenty of power to fly around off a single 5200mah 3s lipo. Guess we will see!
Nice

WillL84

Hey guys, I got my Legacy V2 finished up (mostly) today. Now the Power Pack C only came with one servo "Y" cable but apparently two are needed - one for the motors and one for the ailerons. Is this correct?

speedy7385

Hey guys, I got my Legacy V2 finished up (mostly) today. Now the Power Pack C only came with one servo "Y" cable but apparently two are needed - one for the motors and one for the ailerons. Is this correct?
servo Y cable is use for the ailerons. the two motors usually plug into 2 different channels to get throttle differential.

Intashu

Elite member
About 2/3 of the way through paint.

Going for a red/white/blue because that's what paint I had the most of.. But was trying to break the generic "Murica!" look.

Haven't finished the paint under the wings or the outside of the tail, and there's a ton that needs touch up... But it's been either really cold or snowing all week so I have only had very limited windows to lay down some paint on this bird! Unfortunatly that led to a thick coat on the wing which wrinkled it a bit. But I'm not overly concerned... I half expect this plane will not survive more than a dozen flights given how aggressively I try to fly these things.

Attachments

• 20211231_131359.jpg
    20211231_131359.jpg
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211231_131419.jpg
    20211231_131419.jpg
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 0

Intashu

Elite member
Finally had a good day, went for a maiden.

Flew with a 5300mah 3s and since I got a old Dx6i I couldn't setup transmitter differential throttle due to its limitations, I got my hands on a Vtail mixer and used that to mix throttle with rudder. Worked like a charm. Flew great, but didn't try anything too crazy as I need to reinforce my tail to the fuse, it's a little shaky still.

Got to add windows to it too and a few numbers still but otherwise I call it a complete success!

Attachments

• 20220227_151202.jpg
    20220227_151202.jpg
    860.7 KB · Views: 0

Battery800

Elite member
So I just got the legacy done I have noticed a couple issues-
the laser score for both rear foldovers for the bottom of the nacelles were cut incorrectly as cut throughs
I was only given one thick landing gear wire, and I don’t have more.

WillL84

So I just got the legacy done I have noticed a couple issues-
the laser score for both rear foldovers for the bottom of the nacelles were cut incorrectly as cut throughs
I was only given one thick landing gear wire, and I don’t have more.

Mine only came with one thick gear wire as well but it was a long piece enough to do all the parts. You need a set of bolt cutters to snip it or cut it with a Dremel or something. You'll need 4 pieces total - 1 for each gear "leg" and then two smaller pieces that connect the 3D printed parts together.

I didn't notice any issues with the cut lines on mine. Maybe the laser went a little too far through when they made the batch of kits that yours came from.

Battery800

Elite member
Mine only came with one thick gear wire as well but it was a long piece enough to do all the parts. You need a set of bolt cutters to snip it or cut it with a Dremel or something. You'll need 4 pieces total - 1 for each gear "leg" and then two smaller pieces that connect the 3D printed parts together.

I didn't notice any issues with the cut lines on mine. Maybe the laser went a little too far through when they made the batch of kits that yours came from.
I only got about 16 inches of the thick wire which wasn’t long enough