*Unofficial* FT Legacy (Founders Plane)

the rc project

Sweet project, right up my alley. I made a very similar suspension on my timber x! Works wonders except you still run into the same problem under compression of the wheel moving outwards. I’m looking at a more draco style gear but this would move the rotational point for takeoff and landing. Looking forward to more build updates!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
what is the saying... "Never Skip Leg Day?" :LOL:

20200623_170000.jpg

build has been stalled for many reasons, my ADHD with other projects :sneaky:, my family, my health, but mostly i wasn't sure about the color scheme. glad to report that problem is solved and i'm pretty tickled with what we came up with. simple, elegant, but still aggressive. :devilish:

stay tuned...

me :cool:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i got the LED's working on the wing tips...:devilish:

20200625_195023.jpg

if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. :LOL:

i designed and 3D printed the wing tips in grey PLA, and then used translucent PETG for the light frame and cover.

below you can see the 4 different 3V LED's. i will have one of these on each wing tip plus a center belly pod.

20200625_195030.jpg

i still have to design the belly pod but that's just details... :sneaky:

tickled pink,

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
shocks came off for last time for oil and adjustment.

20200629_144710.jpg

filled with oil and re-installed. upper mount has been attached to fuse.

20200629_152025.jpg

glad i went with 2 BIG shocks. i actually had thought about dropping to 1 per side because i thought they were overkill. turns out i'm almost half on adjustment and will need to find some thicker oil for the shocks. i used mineral oil that i had but think i will have to cough up some money for some real oil.

almost there... ;)

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
glad i went with 2 BIG shocks. i actually had thought about dropping to 1 per side because i thought they were overkill. turns out i'm almost half on adjustment and will need to find some thicker oil for the shocks. i used mineral oil that i had but think i will have to cough up some money for some real oil.

almost there... ;)

Thicker oil will increase damping, and only slow the movement of the piston in the shock. The collars are only for adjusting ride height. If you have used much of the collar adjustment, it could mean the springs are too soft for the weight of the plane.
Consider changing to a thicker spring, with a higher spring rate. It should help to suspend the weight of the plane better. After installing the right spring, you can try different oil wt to get the damping you want.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Thicker oil will increase damping, and only slow the movement of the piston in the shock. The collars are only for adjusting ride height. If you have used much of the collar adjustment, it could mean the springs are too soft for the weight of the plane.
Consider changing to a thicker spring, with a higher spring rate. It should help to suspend the weight of the plane better. After installing the right spring, you can try different oil wt to get the damping you want.

yup, agreed 100%.

springs are for height, dampening for movement. these are obviously very simple designs w/o real valving but i think we will still need thicker oil as well.

searching amazon for springs and oil as we speak.

thanks,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
don't want to spoil it but w/ the wing tips and lights it looks bad a.. !!

20200708_210218.jpg

gonna start on 3S and counter rotating 10x4.5 white props. should look pretty cool with all the colors. i want to run 4S but i am currently running short on 9x4.5R props.... :sneaky:

see if i can find some by saturday.

laters,

"Corpse"

Legendary member
don't want to spoil it but w/ the wing tips and lights it looks bad a.. !!

View attachment 174042

gonna start on 3S and counter rotating 10x4.5 white props. should look pretty cool with all the colors. i want to run 4S but i am currently running short on 9x4.5R props.... :sneaky:

see if i can find some by saturday.

laters,

Man that is SICK! What tires are those?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
this very well may be my longest build yet and not just because i got the "kit" way back during the crowd funding.

i has been almost 10 weeks from initial thoughts to final product. i am very tickled about the outcome but as with any custom build, you always think of ways to improve what you have done. it is part of learning and you cannot progress if you just sit, you have to design, build, and test. even if you fail, you at least learn what not to do, and can move forward. i can definitely say that this taught me a few things and it was worth it.

20200710_190225.jpg

20200710_191245.jpg

now cross finger she flies in the morning. ;)

lates,

whackflyer

Master member
@mrjdstewart, I did this on a Bushwhacker, but with one shock. It dampened the landings and was really smooth on the ground, but if I taxied for any distance, the wheels would slowly start splaying out to the point the prop would hit the ground. Hopefully two shocks and stiffer springs will help.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
sorry for the drop off.

you are 100% correct. the shocks were not enough to lift the plane back up after compression.

took out for it's maiden and all was golden except, 1- the power, 2- the darn suspension. considering the amount of time i spent on it i was a little bummed.

after maiden i decided to go 4S and drop props to 9x4.5E. got out to the field and plane just went nuts. too many wires going too many ways? or just a dropped signal? i have not yet gone there...

what i did do was come up with a hack for the suspension problem.

i had used 1/5 scale, oil filled shocks and had the springs compressed as far as possible. this obviously was not enough. i searched for springs, i searched for diff shocks, but finally decided to just design a sleeve to further compress the shocks to provide the stance i wanted.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 6.53.29 PM.png

3D print seems to have solved the problem. plane now springs back up when compressed. not perfect, and not really pretty. but it works for now.

20200828_185349.jpg

we will fly tomorrow and see.

laters,

whackflyer

Master member
sorry for the drop off.

you are 100% correct. the shocks were not enough to lift the plane back up after compression.

took out for it's maiden and all was golden except, 1- the power, 2- the darn suspension. considering the amount of time i spent on it i was a little bummed.

after maiden i decided to go 4S and drop props to 9x4.5E. got out to the field and plane just went nuts. too many wires going too many ways? or just a dropped signal? i have not yet gone there...

what i did do was come up with a hack for the suspension problem.

i had used 1/5 scale, oil filled shocks and had the springs compressed as far as possible. this obviously was not enough. i searched for springs, i searched for diff shocks, but finally decided to just design a sleeve to further compress the shocks to provide the stance i wanted.

View attachment 178101

3D print seems to have solved the problem. plane now springs back up when compressed. not perfect, and not really pretty. but it works for now.

View attachment 178102

we will fly tomorrow and see.

laters,

That's not cool that it didn't work as you'd hoped, but looks like you got a solution! Still a pretty sweet looking plane tho!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Snow on the ground...not a problem for this FT Legacy!

1609821278173.png

Du-Bro SnowBird Skis on the mains and a Du-Bro Park Flyer ski on the tail. Ground handling was excellent. I did not notice much if any adverse flight characteristics from the added drag of the skis in the air either. Touch-and-go's were a blast. Highly recommend this mod if you live anywhere where the white stuff flies in the winter time.

If she survives until spring, I'm planning an nice paint scheme and some vinyl decals to finish it off.

RavenFly

Here's my journey with the Legacy this summer. I decided I wanted to put floats on it (not having built one on wheels). Went through float design but lengthening the cub floats. I went all in with flaps, bomb drop, differential thrust and rudder control.

I had to epoxy the wires to the wood mounts on the floats so that they wouldn't pivot. Had to repair the floats which the props bit into on a taxi test when the gear wasn't stable enough and epoxy the landing gear wire to the wood to keep it from rotating.

She acts a bit heavy now, and on throttle application when floating, wants to dig the float tips in. I think I need to rebuild the floats and make them longer. I used a length of 75% of the fuselage, nose to rudder hinge, but still needed to add nose weight to balance out. Longer floats would mean it wouldn't dig the tips in on run up, and I could remove the nose weight added.

Probably going to put it on a diet and remove some weight in the bomb drop mechanism and rudder servo.

At the very least, it looks great!

Attachments

• tempImagezn4Ubc.png
    tempImagezn4Ubc.png
    14.3 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImage3qziQ0.png
    tempImage3qziQ0.png
    15 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImageTLXHxC.png
    tempImageTLXHxC.png
    14.9 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImageyUvupw.png
    tempImageyUvupw.png
    14.8 MB · Views: 0

Kemosabe

[QUOTE = "SP0NZ, gönderi: 419061, üye: 10509"] Bu, Legacy için iniş takımı. Sağlam!

[ATTACH = dolu] 109720 [/ ATTACH] [/ ALINTI]
[QUOTE = "SP0NZ, gönderi: 419061, üye: 10509"] Bu, Legacy için iniş takımı. Sağlam!

View attachment 109720 [/ALINTI]
Ölçülerine itiyacım var...

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
update. flew today on it's 3rd flight. had some issues w the external BEC on first 2 flights.

JS3.jpg

JS4.jpg

JS5.jpg

running on 6V to everything but can barely see tip lights on approach pic, going to turn up to 9V and see if we can brighten things up..