FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
FT LongEZ
Designed By: Alex Zvada & Josh Bixler
Plans By: Dan Sponholz
1536635107628.png

The Flite Test LongEZ is a great "bank and yank" semi scale DIY electric airplane kit. Simplicity was the theme of this design and our hopes are that it can be built and flying in no time! One motor, an ESC, and two servos are all you need to get the LongEZ in the air. Powered with the power pack A it can run off of a 2s battery for more beginner friendly characteristics, or use a 3s to make it a ballistic speed plane! The original LongEZ is an icon of experimental aviation and this model is no different.

Power Pack Compatibility: Power Pack A

Speed Build Kit: FT LongEZ

Specifications:
Weight: 5.5 oz. (156 g) (without battery)​
Wingspan: 19 Inches (483mm)​
Control Surface Throws: 12 Degrees​
Expo Suggestions: 30%​

FREE Build Plans: FT LongEZ Plans

Articles:
Videos:

Last edited:

JGplanes

Would this work for indoor flight? In other words, does it fly slow well?

Thanks!
I’m interested in this possibility also. I was thinking of a foam only version by removing the paper from one or both sides of the foam board to save weight, and using a power pack h on 2s. Thoughts?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Last edited:

basslord1124

Master member
I just watched the latest video today. I do like the idea of a quick build and using very little foamboard...so I'm going to try it too. I am normally against small designs due to wind issues but I think the one might be hopeful.

w1lp33

My 6 year old nephew absolutely loves the foam chuck gliders I've made him, looking forward to making one of these for him.

Made him a sparrow back in June, my brother tells me he still plays with it almost every day. Has had to be repaired and rebalanced a couple of times, so he's learning builld techniques too :)

Am I first? Just got the LongEZ done as a glider for my youngest, her older brother is currently building a powered version. Everything went together super easy even without a build video and it glides about 50' without much trouble at all .Thanks for the very well drawn plans!

Attachments

• LongEZ1.jpg
    LongEZ1.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 0
  • longEZ2.jpg
    longEZ2.jpg
    772.3 KB · Views: 0
  • longEZ3.jpg
    longEZ3.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 0
  • LongEZ4.jpg
    LongEZ4.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 0

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Am I first? Just got the LongEZ done as a glider for my youngest, her older brother is currently building a powered version. Everything went together super easy even without a build video and it glides about 50' without much trouble at all .Thanks for the very well drawn plans!
Oooooh !! How I envy people with needle/lasercutters !! :)
Looks like a super job!

Oooooh !! How I envy people with needle/lasercutters !! :)
Looks like a super job!
Agreed....I just spent a month purpose building a laser that would accommodate a full 20X30 sheet of foam, but I dont think that I would have the patience to cut out even one LongEZ with a knife and paper patterns. I enjoy building a lot, but cutting is just not fun at all. My laser is not the fastest but it can cut out the plane above in 12 minutes, the much more complicated edge 540 by contrast took about an hour and a half. It surely makes a wreck that destroys a plane a lot easier to swallow!

basslord1124

Master member
Awesome, I'll check it out. Debating on building this one or the larger one from jpot1. Who knows I may build both. For some reason I'm thinking this one could be built without a build video.