*Unofficial* FT Mustang Master Series

shadeyB

Legendary member
I did however encounter 1 major problem. The brand new “c” radial motor from FT smoked itself. First flight/use with the motor and its fried. I really dont understand why. I had a 4S 1500mah battery, 40a ESC, and a 10x4.5 prop. Its the same prop i used on my FT bush plane with the smaller old “C” Emax motor. And that smaller emax motor had no problems.
The only difference is the plastic 3” spinner. That shouldn't change much of anything?

Im going to call or email FT tomorrow and ask them whats up with the $35 disposable motors. Kind of pricey for a 1/2 flight use.

!

Good luck with that , I’ve been waiting 3 weeks now for a response - to online chat, email and telephone call - bumped

kinch

Happy to say I took the P51 MMS for its maiden flight about an hour ago! OMG what a joy to fly! This plane is the best flying foam plane from FT yet! Big Thanks to John O & the boys!

The addition of the retracts worked perfectly! It didnt tip forward or even act like it wanted to. So pumped about the retracts. They really take the plane to the next level.

I did however encounter 1 major problem. The brand new “c” radial motor from FT smoked itself. First flight/use with the motor and its fried. I really dont understand why. I had a 4S 1500mah battery, 40a ESC, and a 10x4.5 prop. Its the same prop i used on my FT bush plane with the smaller old “C” Emax motor. And that smaller emax motor had no problems.
The only difference is the plastic 3” spinner. That shouldn't change much of anything?

Im going to call or email FT tomorrow and ask them whats up with the $35 disposable motors. Kind of pricey for a 1/2 flight use.

My advice: get the P51 MMS, build it and enjoy the best flying FT plane to date!
Love the plane, where did you buy the retracts. Just finishing my MS P51...thanks

Attachments

• 20201118_130653.jpg
    20201118_130653.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0

Slamador

Happy to say I took the P51 MMS for its maiden flight about an hour ago! OMG what a joy to fly! This plane is the best flying foam plane from FT yet! Big Thanks to John O & the boys!

The addition of the retracts worked perfectly! It didnt tip forward or even act like it wanted to. So pumped about the retracts. They really take the plane to the next level.

My advice: get the P51 MMS, build it and enjoy the best flying FT plane to date!

What retracts did you use on your P-51?
and can you tell me about the process of installing them?
I want to add them to my next Mustang

tempImage3BsxRf.png

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Not a lot of recent activity on this thread, but I wanted to announce the upcoming "retirement" of Big Beautiful Doll (#2). She's one of the old Maker Foam ones and suffers horribly from delamination issues, as well as a broken nose from falling off a wall. Its time to clear out the hanger and make a little space. BBD#2 will join my MS Spit, MS Corsair, and a Me-109 in some New Year's Day combat at our local flying club's annual 1 January shindig. I'll try and get a little footage of the carnage if I can.

Attachments

• 20211230_151214.jpg
    20211230_151214.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 0

SSgt Duramax

Not a lot of recent activity on this thread, but I wanted to announce the upcoming "retirement" of Big Beautiful Doll (#2). She's one of the old Maker Foam ones and suffers horribly from delamination issues, as well as a broken nose from falling off a wall. Its time to clear out the hanger and make a little space. BBD#2 will join my MS Spit, MS Corsair, and a Me-109 in some New Year's Day combat at our local flying club's annual 1 January shindig. I'll try and get a little footage of the carnage if I can.
One of these is on my radar for my next MS build. It will be a while, how do you like it? It seems like a fitting demise for it instead of just giving it the alcohol bath of shame, ripping the electronics out, and crumpling it up and throwing it in the trash.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I always thought it was one of the better flying MS planes. Zippier. More aerodynamic. The pushrods to the tail are better supported than with the Spitfire, Corsair, and P-47; it felt just a little crisper on the elevator and rudder controls. Also, the air scoop underneath didn't get nearly as torn up on belly landings as I thought it would. It was easier to hold and launch than the big bodied P-47, but I'd recommend reinforcing the skin under the cockpit with some balsa sheets for durability with a heavy grip..

CrshNBrn

Elite member
#4...in the livery of the commander of the 99th Fighter Squadron, Lt Col Benjamin O. Davis. Fitting name for a Red Tails P-51C- "By Request"

If you don't know his story, you should check it out.

Attachments

• 20221218_112903.jpg
    20221218_112903.jpg
    673.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221218_112919.jpg
    20221218_112919.jpg
    897.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221218_112928.jpg
    20221218_112928.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 0