Staff member
Admin
Mentor
FT Mustang Master Series

Design By: John Overstreet
Plans By: Dan Sponholz
FT Master Mustang Fb.png
Description:
The Master Series Mustang is a classic warbird that provides as much satisfaction in building as it does flying it! Utilizing Master Series build techniques and designed by John Overstreet, the build experience for this aircraft is absolutely remarkable. The FT Master Series Mustang is a very scale representation of one of the most iconic warbirds. The kit comes with two different canopy options so you can build it as the D model with a bubble canopy or a B model with a razorback canopy. The Mustang is capable of standard aerobatics and high energy flight that any experienced 4 channel pilot would enjoy.

This aircraft uses the Flite Test Power Pack C with a traditional 4 channel setup and has a wide performance envelope that intermediate and advanced pilots will love! This is a fantastic next chapter for anyone looking to advance from our classic Mustang kits to a more scale and sophisticated design!

Speed Build Kit:
FT Mustang Master Series Speed Build Kit

Power Pack Compatibility:
Power Pack C

Specs:
Wingspan:
48.25 Inches (1225mm)
Center of Gravity: 3 Inches (76mm) In front of belly scoop

Free Plans: FT Mustang Master Series Plans
Printing Instructions
DIY Templates

Videos:

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
@danbob, you must be the guy that posted on my thread in the iRacing forums. :cool: I'm easing my way back into it and enjoying it very much so far. Do you have an opinion on the Skip Barber vs. Mazda MX-5 for road racing? I was in the Solstice for a while back in the day, but it looks like they replaced that with the Mazda now.

danbob

@danbob, you must be the guy that posted on my thread in the iRacing forums. :cool: I'm easing my way back into it and enjoying it very much so far. Do you have an opinion on the Skip Barber vs. Mazda MX-5 for road racing? I was in the Solstice for a while back in the day, but it looks like they replaced that with the Mazda now.

Yeah that would be me :) Good to hear you are enjoying it so far.
After almost 10 years on the service i still spend all my time in the mx5, I love the racing the slow cars produce.
Either car is great for both learning and racing, both are popular too, so always people to race with. Think the Mustang will be well worth a look if it gets a tyre update in next weeks build.

We have two mx5 leagues that race on Monday and Tuesday evenings, the Monday night is an AM league for people to learn in and then on Tuesday night we have a pro league with a live broadcast. Both leagues are open to everyone though, no matter the skill level, Tuesday night has a fee to pay for the broadcast.
Very welcome to join us
Here's last nights broadcast

Sorry to everyone else as not flight related :)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Yeah that would be me :) Good to hear you are enjoying it so far.
After almost 10 years on the service i still spend all my time in the mx5, I love the racing the slow cars produce.
Either car is great for both learning and racing, both are popular too, so always people to race with. Think the Mustang will be well worth a look if it gets a tyre update in next weeks build.

We have two mx5 leagues that race on Monday and Tuesday evenings, the Monday night is an AM league for people to learn in and then on Tuesday night we have a pro league with a live broadcast. Both leagues are open to everyone though, no matter the skill level, Tuesday night has a fee to pay for the broadcast.
Very welcome to join us
Here's last nights broadcast

Sorry to everyone else as not flight related :)

Looks like a lot of fun! I need practice before I dive into that tho. ;)

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I haven't seen a lot of build or maiden videos of the Mustang yet, so here's my attempt. Lots of great things to say about the plane's design, including: 1) the rock-solid, coffee-stirrer pushrod housings, 2) stronger support in the nose, and 3) lots of room for battery changes even without a removable wing mod. On the other hand, I did notice in the build video that several of the fuselage skins were one solid piece, while the kit required them to be glued in the middle. See attached picture below; it's no big deal for folks familiar with the Master Series builds, but a new person might get confused.

As for flying, the P-51 is awesome. Responsive. Lively. Best flying plane of all the MS builds....and I've built them ALL this spring and summer. Thanks for getting me through the COVID-19 shutdown. What is next for us addicts, Flite Test?

Attachments

• 20200716_141654.jpg
    20200716_141654.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I haven't seen a lot of build or maiden videos of the Mustang yet, so here's my attempt. Lots of great things to say about the plane's design, including: 1) the rock-solid, coffee-stirrer pushrod housings, 2) stronger support in the nose, and 3) lots of room for battery changes even without a removable wing mod. On the other hand, I did notice in the build video that several of the fuselage skins were one solid piece, while the kit required them to be glued in the middle. See attached picture below; it's no big deal for folks familiar with the Master Series builds, but a new person might get confused.

As for flying, the P-51 is awesome. Responsive. Lively. Best flying plane of all the MS builds....and I've built them ALL this spring and summer. Thanks for getting me through the COVID-19 shutdown. What is next for us addicts, Flite Test?

That is a BEAUTIFUL paint sceme! If that's the best flying MS plane yet, and my friends corsair flew amazing, then I kinda want to build this one!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
That is a BEAUTIFUL paint sceme! If that's the best flying MS plane yet, and my friends corsair flew amazing, then I kinda want to build this one!

Thanks! Callie's Graphics will dress up any plane. To try to recreate the bare metal look, I tried a new metallic spray paint called Premium Decor. Not a good choice; it doesn't play well with the other colors, it took forever to cure, and still leaves fingerprints. Next time, I'll stick with the tried and true Rustoleum 2X.

Jester109

I'm taping together my plans and I'm getting an alignment issues. I've built 9 other ft planes and never had this problem before so I'm wondering what I did wrong this time? It looks like each page got the left 1/8 in cropped off. I love everything Flitetest and every plane I've built from them has been amazing. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• 20200722_192839.jpg
    20200722_192839.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200722_192951.jpg
    20200722_192951.jpg
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200722_193001.jpg
    20200722_193001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I'm taping together my plans and I'm getting an alignment issues. I've built 9 other ft planes and never had this problem before so I'm wondering what I did wrong this time? It looks like each page got the left 1/8 in cropped off. I love everything Flitetest and every plane I've built from them has been amazing. Thanks in advance for any help.
That's weird, if it got cropped off I don't know what to do other than to reprint it. Maybe someone else has a genius idea that I couldn't come up with.:unsure::unsure:

P40VRP

That is a BEAUTIFUL MUSTANG and what a well made video! I love the music! I love the music too! Well done @CrshNBrn !

shadeyB

Legendary member
Love the Master series mustang
At 1st I was way off with CG, with her power I took her up anyway lol but in end I managed to get her down safely
Placed battery better and she’s away again, good build and a fantastic flyer

Scorpion

Happy to say I took the P51 MMS for its maiden flight about an hour ago! OMG what a joy to fly! This plane is the best flying foam plane from FT yet! Big Thanks to John O & the boys!

The addition of the retracts worked perfectly! It didnt tip forward or even act like it wanted to. So pumped about the retracts. They really take the plane to the next level.

I did however encounter 1 major problem. The brand new “c” radial motor from FT smoked itself. First flight/use with the motor and its fried. I really dont understand why. I had a 4S 1500mah battery, 40a ESC, and a 10x4.5 prop. Its the same prop i used on my FT bush plane with the smaller old “C” Emax motor. And that smaller emax motor had no problems.
The only difference is the plastic 3” spinner. That shouldn't change much of anything?

Im going to call or email FT tomorrow and ask them whats up with the $35 disposable motors. Kind of pricey for a 1/2 flight use.

My advice: get the P51 MMS, build it and enjoy the best flying FT plane to date!

Attachments

• 52296B07-1F0A-4D7D-8ED1-EB24BCF95423.jpeg
    52296B07-1F0A-4D7D-8ED1-EB24BCF95423.jpeg
    8.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 8989493E-EF57-4A99-907E-913206981227.jpeg
    8989493E-EF57-4A99-907E-913206981227.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 0