Staff member
Admin
Mentor
FT P-47 Thunderbolt

Designed By: John Overstreet
Plans By: Dan Sponholz

FT P47 Forums.png

Description:
The P-47 is the second plane of the Flite Test Master Series developed in collaboration with John Overstreet. Using "mold-together" techniques, the FT P-47 is just as rewarding to build as it is to fly. This is a basic 4 channel Warbird that has an advanced build experience, and intermediate flying experience. This plane has all the great looks of a classic P-47 Warbird and well rounded and predictable flight characteristics, which is usually uncommon with RC warbirds.​

Speed Build Kit:
Power Pack Compatibility:

Specs:
Wingspan: 47.5 Inches (1206mm)​
Center of Gravity: 1.75 Inches (45mm) from leading edge​
Control Surface Throws:
Expo Suggestions:

Free Plans: FT P-47 Free Plans (coming soon)

Videos:

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
There is an issue with the current v1.0 plans...

On sheet 2 of the full-size plans, item #15, FUSELAGE SKIN 1. This part was apparently from the P-38 (see comment on FB from Josh in attached image).

1567270930964.png

I'm waiting for the fix from Flite Test. As soon as I get the corrected file(s) I will get an addendum file out ASAP. Then I will go back and make a full revision of the plans.

battleship

hi guys was wondering i see on the images of the speed build kit as well as the plans theres options for landing gear? was wondering where it goes please? the build video doesnt show where to install it

Stonewall

hi guys was wondering i see on the images of the speed build kit as well as the plans theres options for landing gear? was wondering where it goes please? the build video doesnt show where to install it

I'm wondering this myself. I have the foam pieces still sitting by the plane for the landing gear, but nowhere does it discuss how to install it in the video. I'm not exactly pleased with the directions for this plane. The video shows two installs for both the Razorback and the Bubbletop, but it does neither great service. Whoever edited the video either forgot parts, or some parts just weren't ever shot. At several points in the video instructions aren't given and things just appear, i.e.- instructions about finishing up the bubbletop tail, then 2 seconds later it skips to having the elevator, rudder, and even servos attached to the thing you just finished 2 seconds ago because it cuts from the bubbletop back to the razorback. So if you were building the bubbletop, you would completely miss out how to go about setting up servos and linkages, and doing the rear control services, until its too late; unless you somehow had the forethought to fast-forward or re-wind a 4 hour video to the exact places it jumps around (which it doesn't tell you in the description, or tell you that it jumps around like it does). Honestly each build should have its own video, that way the video isn't 4 hours long, you don't have to continually skip around, and things won't get omitted.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok, got a question i hope you guys can answer. this is my 2nd take at the battery box and i am wondering why it is not square?

20200224_150348.jpg

am i missing something?

thanks,

me :cool:

The Fopster

Master member
I seem to remember that the plans hd an error - one side of the battery box is 5mm too tall. Trim it down to make it square be you should be fine - this worked on mine...

Good luck!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I seem to remember that the plans hd an error - one side of the battery box is 5mm too tall. Trim it down to make it square be you should be fine - this worked on mine...

Good luck!
That's what I've heard as well. The plans are printed for the P-47 so we'll see what I end up having to do when I get around to finishing mine up...

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok, battery box is fixed, whacked 5mm off and all is square. now to the next issue....

former 3 will not fit inside the fuselage piece?

once again not sure if this is a plan issue or our laser cut guy making a mistake. anyone else have this issue?

20200226_171500.jpg

it's not even close.

thanks,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well i printed off the fuselage piece and re-cut it. came out the same so it's got to the be the former that is off. i would love it if someone else could confirm this for me, then we can let @SP0NZ know what needs to be done on the plans. i will try and print and cut the formers from plans to eliminate our laser guy and help confirm.

thanks,

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I just finished putting the decals on mine last night. Of the four master series builds I've completed during this quarantine, the P-47 was by far the easiest to put together. I'm not sure why it isn't getting the love like the Corsair, P-38, or Spitfire. I love the looks of it and will maiden it in a day or two when the weather is a little more cooperative.

Attachments

• 20200520_090415.jpg
    20200520_090415.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200520_220453.jpg
    20200520_220453.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I just finished putting the decals on mine last night. Of the four master series builds I've completed during this quarantine, the P-47 was by far the easiest to put together. I'm not sure why it isn't getting the love like the Corsair, P-38, or Spitfire. I love the looks of it and will maiden it in a day or two when the weather is a little more cooperative.
Your build looks great! I have the electronics ready for mine but am just waiting on the kit. I’m super stoked to put it together and fly it!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Your build looks great! I have the electronics ready for mine but am just waiting on the kit. I’m super stoked to put it together and fly it!

Thanks! I think you're going to enjoy the build. You've probably seen the negative reviews of the build video, but I didn't see any issues. I added the detachable wing mod, balsa reinforcement in the center of the fuselage, and a wooden dowel in the leading wing edge- recommend them for anyone building this model. Hat tip to Cabmantim (again) for the cool mod ideas from his Youtube video.

Attachments

• 20200518_215628.jpg
    20200518_215628.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Maidened Lucky today. Running a 4s 3000 battery which added plenty of nose weight for a slight nose heavy attitude. It needed about 60% throttle for launch. For everyone in the process of building right now... you are in for a treat when you fly it. Thanks, Flite Test. I can't wait to see what the next Master Series release will bring!

Slamador

well i printed off the fuselage piece and re-cut it. came out the same so it's got to the be the former that is off. i would love it if someone else could confirm this for me, then we can let @SP0NZ know what needs to be done on the plans. i will try and print and cut the formers from plans to eliminate our laser guy and help confirm.

thanks,

Currently dealing with the same mistakes.....

rkozak

Hi Guys am I missing something or do I have the wrong Plans?

1. In the build video Part 16 FUSELAGE SKIN 2 has score cut down the middle. The v1.o plans don't have that score cut marked. Is it required?
  2. in the build video John mentions that on Part 14 FUSELAGE COWL SKIN 1 has a small overlap of paper where the part is to be glued. That not on the plans neither. When I glued the it together and placed it on the former 2 i see substantial gaps between the former and he skin. Do I just trim the skin?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Hi Guys am I missing something or do I have the wrong Plans?

1. In the build video Part 16 FUSELAGE SKIN 2 has score cut down the middle. The v1.o plans don't have that score cut marked. Is it required?
  2. in the build video John mentions that on Part 14 FUSELAGE COWL SKIN 1 has a small overlap of paper where the part is to be glued. That not on the plans neither. When I glued the it together and placed it on the former 2 i see substantial gaps between the former and he skin. Do I just trim the skin?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
The "score cut" he refers to (part 16) is only on the FT SBK. It is simply for ease of packaging/shipping. Not part of the plans.
I don't know about part 14, because I haven't started building, yet.