• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

*Unofficial* FT Sea Angel

Has anyone posted a flight report? How did the maidens go on these builds?
Okay, well here is mine. Flew from a hand launch over grass, then went to the local pond for my first ever water take-offs and landings. The sea angel is docile and predictable to fly. No pitch forward tendencies from the high thrust line. No issues with torque noted despite warnings by Josh that this plane will "teach you to adjust for torque." I was careful to always advance the throttle smoothly while powering up. Take offs require full up elevator from the start to pop the nose out of the water and get onto a step. Then up elevator can be briefly eased as the plane rides on the step gaining more speed, then tip the elevator back again to lift off. It loves landing in on a lush wet lawn, so I will probably not always have to take it to the pond to fly. Running C power pack, it climbs smartly but not vertical. Excellent at basic aerobatics. Running 4 channel with 30% expo on elevator and rudder. Differential Ailerons (mechanically achieved). Ailerons set up as described in build video then throw reduced to 75% through dual rates. Flew with full elevator throws and 75% Ailerons the whole time. The build was challenging and took about two weeks of evenings and a couple weekends. Used Titebond glue where ever possible and practical instead of hot glue to save weight. Pictures and videos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/7657903@N05/albums/72157711016978497

Last edited:

kilroy07

Okay, well here is mine. Flew from a hand launch over grass, then went to the local pond for my first ever water take-offs and landings. The sea angel is docile and predictable to fly. No pitch forward tendencies from the high thrust line. No issues with torque noted despite warnings by Josh that this plane will "teach you to adjust for torque." I was careful to always advance the throttle smoothly while powering up. Take offs require full up elevator from the start to pop the nose out of the water and get onto a step. Then up elevator can be briefly eased as the plane rides on the step gaining more speed, then tip the elevator back again to lift off. It loves landing in on a lush wet lawn, so I will probably not always have to take it to the pond to fly. Running C power pack, it climbs smartly but not vertical. Excellent at basic aerobatics. Running 4 channel with 30% expo on elevator and rudder. Differential Ailerons (mechanically achieved). Ailerons set up as described in build video then throw reduced to 75% through dual rates. Flew with full elevator throws and 75% Ailerons the whole time. The build was challenging and took about two weeks of evenings and a couple weekends. Used Titebond glue where ever possible and practical instead of hot glue to save weight. Pictures and videos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/7657903@N05/albums/72157711016978497
Nice! (y)
Where did you get the pilot fig?, He's awesome!

Nice! (y)
Where did you get the pilot fig?, He's awesome!
This is the figure. When I bought it on Amazon, there was only one left. I'm sure one could track it down for sale somewhere though. It shipped from japan. I cut the head off, capped the stuffing with some hot glue and a thin sheet of plastic. Added a neodynium magnet so it would be secure in the cockpit. The magnetic attachment allows Porco to be posed looking off at an angle or straight ahead.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51jyQeLLeVL._SY498_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg