*Unofficial* FT Sea Angel

sky guy

Has anyone posted a flight report? How did the maidens go on these builds?
Okay, well here is mine. Flew from a hand launch over grass, then went to the local pond for my first ever water take-offs and landings. The sea angel is docile and predictable to fly. No pitch forward tendencies from the high thrust line. No issues with torque noted despite warnings by Josh that this plane will "teach you to adjust for torque." I was careful to always advance the throttle smoothly while powering up. Take offs require full up elevator from the start to pop the nose out of the water and get onto a step. Then up elevator can be briefly eased as the plane rides on the step gaining more speed, then tip the elevator back again to lift off. It loves landing in on a lush wet lawn, so I will probably not always have to take it to the pond to fly. Running C power pack, it climbs smartly but not vertical. Excellent at basic aerobatics. Running 4 channel with 30% expo on elevator and rudder. Differential Ailerons (mechanically achieved). Ailerons set up as described in build video then throw reduced to 75% through dual rates. Flew with full elevator throws and 75% Ailerons the whole time. The build was challenging and took about two weeks of evenings and a couple weekends. Used Titebond glue where ever possible and practical instead of hot glue to save weight. Pictures and videos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/7657903@N05/albums/72157711016978497

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
Okay, well here is mine. Flew from a hand launch over grass, then went to the local pond for my first ever water take-offs and landings. The sea angel is docile and predictable to fly. No pitch forward tendencies from the high thrust line. No issues with torque noted despite warnings by Josh that this plane will "teach you to adjust for torque." I was careful to always advance the throttle smoothly while powering up. Take offs require full up elevator from the start to pop the nose out of the water and get onto a step. Then up elevator can be briefly eased as the plane rides on the step gaining more speed, then tip the elevator back again to lift off. It loves landing in on a lush wet lawn, so I will probably not always have to take it to the pond to fly. Running C power pack, it climbs smartly but not vertical. Excellent at basic aerobatics. Running 4 channel with 30% expo on elevator and rudder. Differential Ailerons (mechanically achieved). Ailerons set up as described in build video then throw reduced to 75% through dual rates. Flew with full elevator throws and 75% Ailerons the whole time. The build was challenging and took about two weeks of evenings and a couple weekends. Used Titebond glue where ever possible and practical instead of hot glue to save weight. Pictures and videos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/7657903@N05/albums/72157711016978497
Nice! (y)
Where did you get the pilot fig?, He's awesome!

sky guy

Nice! (y)
Where did you get the pilot fig?, He's awesome!

This is the figure. When I bought it on Amazon, there was only one left. I'm sure one could track it down for sale somewhere though. It shipped from japan. I cut the head off, capped the stuffing with some hot glue and a thin sheet of plastic. Added a neodynium magnet so it would be secure in the cockpit. The magnetic attachment allows Porco to be posed looking off at an angle or straight ahead.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51jyQeLLeVL._SY498_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Tench745

Master member
Finished my Sea Angel build. I wanted to get a little closer to the movie plane. This was built with White Gorilla glue, Foam Cure, and Ross foamboard with the paper removed. Each wing got a CF arrow shaft spar and a plywood doubler tied the two together with the correct dihedral.
Everything was sanded smooth, filled with lightweight spackle, and the coated with multiple layers of water-based polyurethane (WBPU) before being masked and painted with Rustoleum 2X spraypaints. Finished weight without battery comes in at 535grams (18.87oz) With a 2200 3s battery its ready-to-fly weight is 650g (22.9oz)
For comparison, the published empty weight of the FT version is 635g (22.4oz), with a ready-to-fly weight of 865g (30.5oz), so mine came out a whole 215g (7.6oz) lighter. Hopefully it flies just as good!
IMG_1907.JPG IMG_1908.JPG IMG_1909.JPG IMG_1910.JPG

The motor pod was shrunk an inch vertically and DTFB was rolled into shape for the rocker covers. The domed shape at the front of the rocker covers was three layers of foamboard stacked up and carved/sanded to shape. The exhaust stacks are large drinking straws glued to some carved/sanded balsa blocks. These were painted with cheap acrylic paints, then sealed with Dullcote lacquer.
I used a brass tube to cut in the gun ports in the nose, then glued in some foamboard backing bits to keep it water tight.
IMG_1911.JPG IMG_1912.JPG
Porco was carved/ sanded out of XPS foam, painted with acrylic paints, and sealed with WBPU, Future floor wax, or Dullcote depending on the desired gloss. The goggles are made from epoxy putty. The sunglasses are discs of balsa which were painted black then given some gloss with Formula 560 canopy glue and sealed with Future floor wax. A gold jump-ring forms the wire nose piece.
The cockpit is also made from paperless foamboard. I mounted the servos upright so I can get to the arms to adjust throws manually if I need to and the cockpit is friction-fit in above them to allow access but keep the water out.
The gun sight is a BBQ skewer with some epoxy putty details and the windshield is PETG plastic from some kind of packaging.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Finished my Sea Angel build. I wanted to get a little closer to the movie plane. This was built with White Gorilla glue, Foam Cure, and Ross foamboard with the paper removed. Each wing got a CF arrow shaft spar and a plywood doubler tied the two together with the correct dihedral.
Everything was sanded smooth, filled with lightweight spackle, and the coated with multiple layers of water-based polyurethane (WBPU) before being masked and painted with Rustoleum 2X spraypaints. Finished weight without battery comes in at 535grams (18.87oz) With a 2200 3s battery its ready-to-fly weight is 650g (22.9oz)
For comparison, the published empty weight of the FT version is 635g (22.4oz), with a ready-to-fly weight of 865g (30.5oz), so mine came out a whole 215g (7.6oz) lighter. Hopefully it flies just as good!
View attachment 212234 View attachment 212235 View attachment 212236 View attachment 212237

The motor pod was shrunk an inch vertically and DTFB was rolled into shape for the rocker covers. The domed shape at the front of the rocker covers was three layers of foamboard stacked up and carved/sanded to shape. The exhaust stacks are large drinking straws glued to some carved/sanded balsa blocks. These were painted with cheap acrylic paints, then sealed with Dullcote lacquer.
I used a brass tube to cut in the gun ports in the nose, then glued in some foamboard backing bits to keep it water tight.
View attachment 212239 View attachment 212240
Porco was carved/ sanded out of XPS foam, painted with acrylic paints, and sealed with WBPU, Future floor wax, or Dullcote depending on the desired gloss. The goggles are made from epoxy putty. The sunglasses are discs of balsa which were painted black then given some gloss with Formula 560 canopy glue and sealed with Future floor wax. A gold jump-ring forms the wire nose piece.
The cockpit is also made from paperless foamboard. I mounted the servos upright so I can get to the arms to adjust throws manually if I need to and the cockpit is friction-fit in above them to allow access but keep the water out.
The gun sight is a BBQ skewer with some epoxy putty details and the windshield is PETG plastic from some kind of packaging.
Fantastic build my friend, that’s the best looking Sea Angel I’ve ever seen! Well done. (y)

Tench745

Master member
What kind of throws are others running on this model? The plans say 12° but include no gauge like other FT plans. The build video says to put the pushrods in the outermost holes of the servo arms and control horn, but this gives more than 30° of throw in my setup, which seems very extreme to me.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
What kind of throws are others running on this model? The plans say 12° but include no gauge like other FT plans. The build video says to put the pushrods in the outermost holes of the servo arms and control horn, but this gives more than 30° of throw in my setup, which seems very extreme to me.
I rarely worry about throws, I just set it up, add 20 - 30% expo and send it. I like having the extra maneuverability for better aerobatic capabilities or when pulling out of something sketchy. I’ve found that when taking off from the grass full up elevator comes is usually needed to keep it from lifting the tail.

Tench745

Master member
I rarely worry about throws, I just set it up, add 20 - 30% expo and send it. I like having the extra maneuverability for better aerobatic capabilities or when pulling out of something sketchy. I’ve found that when taking off from the grass full up elevator comes is usually needed to keep it from lifting the tail.
I like to tame my throws to something reasonable by adjusting the control horns and servo arms. Then I can always back it off in the radio from there. I hate twitchy planes on a maiden, pilot induced oscillations are real. So, I prefer to stay a little conservative at first and bump it up later if i decide I need sportier handling.
I kept higher rudder throws for better taxiing.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I like to tame my throws to something reasonable by adjusting the control horns and servo arms. Then I can always back it off in the radio from there. I hate twitchy planes on a maiden, pilot induced oscillations are real. So, I prefer to stay a little conservative at first and bump it up later if i decide I need sportier handling.
I kept higher rudder throws for better taxiing.
LOVE to see a video of the maiden!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
View attachment 212234 View attachment 212235 View attachment 212236 View attachment 212237

View attachment 212239 View attachment 212240
What an Amazing Job @Tench745, I used a Totoro Finger Puppet and fashioned a faux finger to mount it. I love what you are doing to spruce up the Engine, and the Pilot.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Has anyone posted a flight report? How did the maidens go on these builds?
This link has my Sea Angel build from the April Showers Challenge.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ftfc20-april-showers-by-foamy-dm-ft-sea-angel.62908/
1637675257662.png

1637675304313.png

The Medium Totoro Pilot seemed to enjoy the flight, by the looks of it.
1637675328431.png

The landing was hard, and I need to effect some surgery to reconnect some wires and I need some Ply to stiffen the struts back up.
It was a lot of fun. see for yourself. the 1" draw means you can fly it off of ANY waterbody.

I re-post this in hopes to help someone trying to decide if it is worth the effort.
It is

kilroy07

Legendary member
Sadly, the maiden probably won't be until spring. We had our first snow yesterday and I doubt it will be warm enough for quite a while.
In the same boat here (Central Illinois) just don't forget about us when you do get her airborne.

tamuct01

I just finished my Sea Angel and took it out for a maiden at the local park's pond. The first thing I noticed is that water handling was poor at slow speed. I'll probably fashion a water rudder from an old credit card. Next, as I throttled up slowly for takeoff the nose pushed down into the water and threw water up into the prop and over the top. I brought it back to shore with my recovery boat and found that it was full of water and the electronics were unhappy.

I'm flying with an old C-pack and 2200mAh battery. The CG is correct to the plans. Weight without battery is about 750g. I know that's a little heavier than the plans. It's due to the fiberglass and resin I applied to the nose and bottom of the plane.

I'm thinking the nose needs more surface area and more buoyancy as to not sink into the water as power is applied. Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do to resolve it?