*Unofficial* FT Sea Duck

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Sweet. Looks like the new foam handles curves pretty well. Does the paper peel off the same as standard DTF?

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Just glue wheels onto the sides ;)

Although if it is flat bottomed then you're fine. Just add a little acrylic to the bottom for extra protection on the bottom and you're good. One of my Mini Guinea builds I didn't put any gear on it, and I did a few takeoffs from asphalt, it just tore the paper up.

You can hear it sliding along here.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sweet. Looks like the new foam handles curves pretty well. Does the paper peel off the same as standard DTF?

Yes. If you want to peel off the paper, it comes off almost as easily as DTFB.

Swanno

Did anyone else notice another water plane in the DIY Monster P-38 video?

sea plane.PNG

Right next to the Sea Duck but just behind Josh's head. I saw the horizontal stabilizer up higher on the vertical stabilizer and thought it may have been a alteration to the explorer but the whole fuselage is different. Another dual release for two water planes?

Bayboos

It was shown on one of the recent periscope broadcasts. It's in early stages of development; as far as I remember, "it does fly, but not much more". It is definitely an interestion option for those who can't fit the Sea Duck inside the car/room/doorway etc.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
That is Peter's new seaplane design, also a work in process. This one is currently being called the Sea Otter.

Swanno

They both look really cool. I really like the mount for the motor on Peter's. I only recently started 4 channel with the Baron and then I tired out Peters Mini Guinea, both fly amazingly. I'm sure he will work out the kinks. Can't wait to see what these planes can do too.

All the videos I've seen of them have been during very windy conditions hopefully Josh and Peter get some good weather to test them.

Last edited:
This is killing me. Any word on a release date yet? It is only a little over 2 weeks before Joe Nall. I sure would like to take one there with me. I can build it in a couple of days. Hint Hint.

Jimmy

Bayboos

The last live FB feed was all about water trials of this plane; and the question about release date popped out (obviously). The answer was: maybe two weeks, maybe more". You can find the video here: https://www.facebook.com/flitetest/videos (look for the one titled "Otter-ly amazing WATER PLANE!!!!!")

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
The Sea Duck got pushed back, the Otter will be the next released. Hopefully we will see the Sea Duck shortly after the Otter.