FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
** Sea Duck Release Date is June 13, 2016 **

I'm pretty excited for this one...

attachment.php

Sea Duck Conwing L-16 3 View.png

It makes sense that Flite Test will be releasing this as a speed build kit to showcase the soon to be released water resistant Flite Test Foam. There have been several appearances of Josh Bixler's prototype Sea Duck on various social media sites like Facebook and Periscope. Here are a couple of videos of the Sea Duck from FB Live on 3/11/16.

Sea duck shenanigans Friday flyday!
https://www.facebook.com/flitetest/videos/1045153118883928/

Cduck con wing
https://www.facebook.com/flitetest/videos/1043726885693218/

FB Live 5/25/16
FT Sea Duck - coming soon!
https://www.facebook.com/flitetest/videos/1097108367021736/

FB Live 5/27/16
Family and friends fun fly Friday!!!!
https://www.facebook.com/flitetest/videos/1098507140215192/

A modified Conwing L-16 (a fictitious combination of a Fairchild C-82 transport and a Grumman HU-16 amphibian), is a yellow and red painted seaplane. The Sea Duck is a seaplane designed for cargo delivery. It is piloted by Baloo and was featured in the show Disney cartoon series TaleSpin.

I know Balu will be wanting one of these. ;)

Last edited:

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
You have no idea how excited I am :).

And I can finally post this picture which I took about a year ago after getting a surprise with a big order. I had it framed to hang it on my office wall :).

seaDuck.jpg

workplace.jpg

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
That rocks!!!!!!!!!!! You suck for keeping it from us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I posted a picture when I got it IIRC, but pixelated the plane :). I wasn't sure if I was allowed to show it at that time or if it was still a "secret". And you guys would've gone mad having to wait for a year to come out... Can you imagine how I felt having it in front of me all the time, not knowing what "coming soon" meant :)

It's also a slightly different design. Josh mentioned in the video that he decided to do more of a box style bottom than a boats keel because it's easier to build.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
It's also a slightly different design. Josh mentioned in the video that he decided to do more of a box style bottom than a boats keel because it's easier to build.

He's going to try a few things with that. ;) Have I mentioned I love my part-time job? :D

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Josh gave me permission to share this with you guys on the forums...

FT L-16 SD Beta P001.jpg

DharanFlyer

Can't wait! Love TailSpin and is probably one of the main reasons I love flight so much.

I wonder if Don Karnage may be coming in the future...

500px-20151108-00172823.jpg

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Can't wait! Love TailSpin and is probably one of the main reasons I love flight so much.

I wonder if Don Karnage may be coming in the future...

I'm no rocket surgeon, but I don't think that would actually fly very well.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I will leave this here as food for thought . . .

These do fly, but "well" is not a common descriptor for the nature of their flight:

a4917750-69-94RLCfront.jpg

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I did the V-haul on mine and I agree with Josh's idea that it is not build friendly. Especially if you don't have a laser cutter. Of the two fuselages I built, both required custom trimmed to fit bows.

I am glad to see FT doing this plane. After my one and only float test, in a small puddle in my backyard, that ended in an "that will never work" thought process, I abandoned my project for other simpler ones. Would still love to have a Sea Duck...that works well in the air and on water!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I never said it wouldn't fly. I said it wouldn't fly very well. And, I agree with CraftyDan, the GeeBee R2 flew, but it was a handful from what I've read.

But back on topic here,

We Want the Duck! We Want the Duck!

I have some 4"x4"x 8' blue foam rips in the garage waiting to be made into a seaplane but I'd buy the speed build for this one.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
The Duck will be the next release to follow the new mini prop-n-slot jets coming out next week. The SBK's will be made from the new water resistant Flite Test Foam. Game changer!!