*Unofficial* FT Simple Cub

TooJung2Die

Master member
I make soldered wire frames. They are quite strong. Glue a gift card to reinforce the bottom of the fuselage. Drill holes for 4" zip ties. Loop the ties over bamboo skewer inside the fuselage. Put a drop of CA glue on the zip tie.

On hard landings the wire may bend and is easily bent back. On really hard landings (crash) the zip ties break instead of the fuselage. Straighten out the wire and zip tie back in place. Here are my Simple Cub and Schoolgirl landing gear.

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
Those two are made from landscaping flag wire. I have also held the same landing gear frames to the fuselage with rubber bands looped over bamboo skewers sticking out the fuselage sides like wing hold downs.

Ranger 30 RC 3.jpg

Theja68

I have a 2830 but it was pretty fast(to me) on my bloody wonder. What about the 2208 1100kv on a 9060 apc? (I dont have sf). And would a 1250mah be heavy?

Dgreco63

Multirotor Enthusiast
Prop recommendations for FT Simple Cub? And Prop saver suggestions?

Hey gang,
I know that FT recommends a "HQProp 8x4.5 CCW Propeller Slow Flyer" for use on the Simple Cub. I originally had an APC 8x45 prop but that broke in the first week.

And I ended up switching to some 8045 Gemfan slow fly ABS props (because that's what I was using my my tricopters). But I've been breaking them like they are stale bread. And most of the time it was not even while flying! Mostly it's due complications of uneven landing gear and a rough grass field.

Anyway, I want to buy some good economical props that'll be better than those Genfan ABS 8045s. I'm looking to install a prop saver as soon as I can find the right size. So any prop will need to be compatible with them (I don't think that should be an issue, right?)

daxian

Elite member
hi dgreco63...
i use 8x6 on a 2212 1400kv on my cub and it flies fine !!
get yourself a prop saver ,worth the weight in gold !!!
bangood do packs of 10 props (which is what i use on mine) bought around six packs myself ,still got loads left ...they still break but not as often ,since using the prop saver ...
Dave.

Dgreco63

Multirotor Enthusiast
Prop saver

Thanks for the input about the prop size.

I found out why the 3.17mm prop saver won't fit that SunnySky X2212-9 motor. I'm trying to fit it on the prop adapter! The motor shaft IS 3.17mm dia but it doesn't protrude enough for me to use a prop saver. So I either take the motor off and fit a new longer shaft, or buy a new motor.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I have drilled out a few prop savers to 5mm to fit on the prop adapter of motors with short shafts. The prop saver screws will mess up the prop adapter threads but I don't intend to use the motor without a prop saver in the future.

Last edited:

JDill

Crap Shooter Cub

Finished my Cub. It's covered with white/red packing tape (black for windows) and a mash-up of decals I had leftover from other models, hence the Crap Shooter title, checkered tail, and co-sponsored plane.

Just for fun I plan to put the ailerons on separate channels and program them to a slider: up from center to add spoilers and down to add flaps.

2836/8 1100kv motor, 10x6 prop, 1300mah 3s battery. Hope to maiden soon!

Attachments

• DSCN0859.JPG
    DSCN0859.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0860.JPG
    DSCN0860.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0856.JPG
    DSCN0856.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • CrapShooter.jpg
    CrapShooter.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
View attachment 94664
Here is my attempt at the FT Simple Cub. Fairly easy build and things went together well.
I noticed others complaining about the back of the wing folding and added some 3-D printed braces hot glued in place in the problem area. Seems to be holding up well and that part of the wing is very solid now. Also, I added some rubber band protection in the form of C-shaped pieces that cover the back edge of the wing.

View attachment 94665

Using a B-pack like motor (A2212/13t 1000kv) and a 9x4.7 slow fly prop the plane felt slightly under-powered. It needed about 75-80% throttle for level flight. Maybe I've been over-sizing motors on my other models but I like about 50% for level flight so I have lots of extra power in the bank. I went up to the 10x4.7 slow fly and it's crusing at 60% which I like a lot better.
That big slow fly prop sound so cool doing a low pass!

Would you mind sharing the STL files for your braces? My dad was wanting to print some of those up next w that he’s built a Simple Cub!!!

Hillbilly

Coroplast Simple Cub

This is my second plane. My first was a Blu Baby earlier this summer. I stumbled upon Flite Test in my research and liked the planes. Having taught myself to fly on the Blu Baby and understanding the effects of the ground on my lightweight foam creation I decided to try coroplast. The picture is without the landing gear which I have since added and the coroplast is 4mm. I added a couple inches to the wings so the span is just over 40" with about 1" - 1.5" dihedral. Total weight with planned components takes it to about 900 grams/ 2 pounds.

So, my question before I invest in my electronics is maybe foolishly, will it fly? I'm realizing I like to build more than fly which may seem odd, but my son is becoming quite good with the sticks and I'd like to give him the chance to try his hand on this one.

The planned setup is a 9x5 propller on a Turnigy Park450 Brushless Outrunner 1050kv powered by a Turnigy Nano-Tech 1000mah 3S 25-50C Lipo Pack.

Plane.JPG