*Unofficial* FT Simple Cub

basslord1124

Master member
Just noticed this...

In the build video, I noticed that the ESC was mounted on bottom of the power pod instead of within. And Josh mentioned how the battery was going to go inside the pod...but at the end of the video he put the battery on the bottom by the ESC anyways (it was a small enough battery so it could still fit there).

This got me wondering since he mentioned it...where do most of you all put the battery? Inside the pod? On the bottom? Are there are any definite preferences one way or the other?

Since I have a few of them, I am seriously considering using my 2200Mah 3S's once I get my Cub built. Should be interesting to see what sort of flight times I'll have. :)

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
I normaly mount the battery to the bottom of the Pod, so i don´t have to remove it to get acces to the battery. I place the ESC inside the pod.

quimney

Under the pod.

I cut a hole in the bottom of the pod and poke the esc battery wire through it so I can just connect and stick the battery to the velcro. The esc and radio are in the pod... seems like I always need as much weight in the nose as I can get so getting everything up front helps

Driveorange

Rudder Control Cable Flex Fix

Any suggestions on how a fix to keep the rudder control cable from flexing in the “push” direction? The servo “pulls” the rudder to one side just fine but flexes too much when pushing the the rudder doesn’t register any movement in the other direction. I ran the cable/ wire through a coffee stirrer and secured this to the fuselage where it daylights in front of the tail but it had no effect.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Any suggestions on how a fix to keep the rudder control cable from flexing in the “push” direction? The servo “pulls” the rudder to one side just fine but flexes too much when pushing the the rudder doesn’t register any movement in the other direction. I ran the cable/ wire through a coffee stirrer and secured this to the fuselage where it daylights in front of the tail but it had no effect.

Use full length guide tube for the push/pull control wire. This tubing came from a pack of dollar store shower caps. Slide the tubing up the guide wire inside the fuselage and glue at each end. Or you'll need to figure out a way to add more support where the wire is flexing, additional pieces of coffee stick tubing supported by pieces of foam board. Sounds like your rudder hinge is too stiff.

Attachments

• tubing.jpg
    tubing.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 101_0349.JPG
    101_0349.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

quimney

Just finished building my cub and wondering what people were doing to keep the wing from shifting? Thanks for any suggestions.

Take the oval that you punched out of the top of the fuse and glue it to the bottom of the wing. That's what keeps mine in place.

T-Richard

Well for quite a while now I've had plans for a modified simple cub,

it's the same as the regular simple cub, but with different wing and tail feather profiles, it has bigger control surfaces, no dihedral, equipped with flaps, and renamed the FT Simple STOL.

so you'd build it like the original version, but forget the dihedral, crank the throws up, have the flaps deploy down ~80 degrees, and put much bigger wheels on. so it would fly like a Tundra, Timber, Bushwacker etc.

View attachment 94462

View attachment 94463

View attachment 94464

EDIT
I forgot to mention that this has never been built or flown so anyone building this would be building a beta version, and if any one does choose to build one could you let me know how it goes?

Thanks,

I will make use of this... slowly... Any changes to the fuse? is the wingspan modified or only the shape of the wing/ control surfaces?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
just finished this with my granddaughter. this will be her first real plane.

loaded with a Emax 2215GT w/ 10x4.5 prop, w 30A ESC, and a 3S-1800mah. painted sparkly candy apple red. she is tickled pink and so am i.

cubby.jpg

hope to maiden on saturday.

laters,

jason ;)

FTNoob18

simple cub window - Bolt - numbers templates + MOTOR and Cub Decal template

Hey guys, from the plans I created my old window/bolt template. just print it out. cut out the black area and either 1.) glue that right on your plane with super 77 strong spray adhesive. or 2.) after cutting out use that as a template, by spray back w/ light tack, lay on your plane and mist with a couple layers of black.
Also I created an engine pattern you can cut out and glue on the plane. or use it as a reference to airbrush on yours.
the cub logo can be done same. this should make it easy! Scale, and easy to repeat over and over.
ENJOY!!!
1 window.jpg bolt.jpg Numbers motors.jpg WING NUMBER.jpg

FTNoob18

4 COOL SIMPLE CUB UPGRADES!: WING STRUTS,Suspension Struts,Rudder supports,Tail Wheel

Out of dowels and hinges and left over push rods I added some scale details I love about cubs. The landing gear suspension struts, and rudder support rods and wing struts. plus added working tailwheel.

1.)The wing is not fixed, easily removes. the hinges are glued to the ends of the struts and slip tight into a cut in the belly of the fuselage. on the wing the hinges move so they can be folded when wing is off the plane.

2.) The rudder supports, functional as they help keep it 90deg/straight and stronger, just cut some pieces of 3/5" pushrod and stick into the foam and dab of ca.

3.) For the landing gear struts, use barbeque skewers. Stick into wheel cover on bottom, and on top stick into the thick foam piece that goes into the fuselage. and make sure it can easily slide up and down so when you landing gear bends, it just slides in and out and not breaks. ALSO, fyi- I used a COAT HANGER for my landing gear wire and worked out great! its thick and strong enough yet always some "flex" to absorb at landing.

4.) Tail Wheel. I used a piece of the coat hanger and bent to fit. it goes into the rudder before the hinge and then bends for support. for the wheel I used a small lego wheel and drilled out the axel.

SEE WHAT YOU THINK !

check out the pics before I paint it. foam1.jpg foam1-2.jpg foam1-3.jpg

T-Richard

that's cool, what motor lipo combination so i can get an idea what works. Thinking of scaling down myself