*Unofficial* FT Simple Cub

victorsmonster

Hi, I've been flying my first Cub around for a couple of weeks now and loving it! I was wondering what you all would suggest for an FPV camera/transmitter for a beginner. I poked around in the flite test store and all the cameras there seem to be made for micro quads. It seems like a model like the Cub could carry something a little bigger that can transmit further?

Thanks!

-John

Ken Myers

Today I posted a video on YouTube showing my 3-channel Simple Cub Version 4 taking off and landing.

The video shows two takeoffs and a few landings by Dave Stacer, an RC pilot, with my modified Flite Test 3-ch Simple Cub. He had never flown the plane before, ever! I had Dave fly it to be sure my modifications to stop the flip over upon landing on grass, and increase of the glide path and glide, had worked.

The flying field is our Midwest RC Society club field, which has short, mowed grass.
I had been flying my Version 4 of my modified FT Simple Cub for about a month, but wanted to know if the ‘issues’ were fixed or I had just ‘gotten use to flying it’. Dave flew more take offs and landing than shown in the video. Not one landing resulted in the plane going up on its nose or flipping over on our grass flying field.

The wind was moderate for an experience flier, but extremely gusty. At times, the iPhone 5, picked up some of the wind noise.

Later in the day, I did my first successful touch and goes; five in a row. Sorry, there is no video.

I am now working on ‘fixing’ the Dutch Roll, which is apparent in Dave’s take offs.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
It's been along time coming but I'm almost there...
A sneak peak!
Putting the finishing touches on a skin for the FT Simple Cub Classic

FT Classic Simple Cub Proof.jpg

And a quick variant with blue and white sun beams.

FT Simple Cub Clipped Blue White Sun Beam Proof.jpg

Here are some close ups of the Piper Cub logo and the "Simple Cub" logo on the design.

Cub Logos.jpg

I will post the PDF skins on the Skin Idex and in the Resource area when they are done.

Last edited:

wh1sp3r

I just finished my cub ..Its wingspan is about 1.6meters.
I am curious if it flies, lol !!!

I am using foam called "Nomaplan" i bought it in Hornbach. Its thickness is 7mm. It's cheap. I also used cheap tape to make it strong.

IMG_20180726_180102.jpg IMG_20180728_122239.jpg IMG_20180728_180937.jpg IMG_20180813_184734.jpg IMG_20180815_190406.jpg IMG_20180827_184948.jpg IMG_20180828_193240.jpg IMG_20180901_120117.jpg IMG_20180901_120144.jpg IMG_20180901_120235.jpg IMG_20180901_120247.jpg

daxian

Elite member
A sneak peak!
Putting the finishing touches on a ski for the FT Simple Cub Classic

View attachment 114196

And a quick variant with blue and white sun beams.

View attachment 114197

Here are some close ups of the Piper Cub logo and the "Simple Cub" logo on the design.

I will post the PDF skins on the Skin Idex and in the Resource area when they are done.
minerva needs a spellcheck :)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
A sneak peak! ... I will post the PDF skins on the Skin Idex and in the Resource area when they are done.
Looks like I'm going to need to build a new FT Cub! The graphics look amazing as usual @Rasterize !