*Unofficial* FT Simple Cub

JGplanes

Here is my latest "Simple Cub" Its a Midwing Special. Borrowed the "C" power pod and the landing gear from my Super Cub. Wing is 30", made from one piece of foam board. Fuselage is cut down from the Simple Cub plans. It's an electric, control line model. Hope to fly it tomorrow at the indoor soccer field. Checkerboard is just printed on a stick-on shipping label. The white is unpainted foam board. Red is Tremclad. Should go like snot.
I also wanted to do this after reading the article in Sport Aviation! Very nice! I think I'd go ahead and make it full RC though.

CapnBry

Elite member
For contrast, here's Peppacub flying at a new field. It is so great to have so much space and not worry about flying into a tree!

I am not sure how I was able to hit that post, I thought for sure I was well to this side of it. In fact I was flying a FT Goblin around the same area right before this and every time I thought I was on the far side of the lightpost, I was on the close side. Clearly I need some sort of depth-perception enhancing glasses. Glued the chunks back together though and the plane still flies fine, although one of the ailerons has some play in it.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Light poles have a strong gravitational attraction to RC airplanes. You can have 10 square miles of open space and one light pole. Guess what your airplane is going to hit? ;)

Airliftpilot

Hi,

I am totally new to the hobby and just started the build and ran into an issue with the motor. I have the new 2213 and it doesn't have the removable adapter Josh demonstrates in the build video, nor does it come with wood screws. When I put one of the hex bolts in through the back of the firewall (which seems to be what's being demonstrated in the insert that came with the Cub) the motor's shaft appears off-center in the big hole in the middle. What am I missing here?

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, I tried to search

EDIT: okay, I discovered the motor's mount is wider than it is tall. The wires seem to have a long way to go to the opening for them now though...

-John

John, I ran into the same problem...I think it’s because the hole that the motor wires go through should be on the other side of the power pod. (Looking from the front of the pod the wire hole should be on the right. I glued mine in facing to the left and realized the motor wouldn’t mount right without turning it with the mounting wires at the bottom right. I ended up cutting a new hole with a dremil on the opposite side. I hope it still flies properly, I figure it can only help with cooling...

Airliftpilot

I’m new to this hobby (other than a nearly fatal crash of a cheap glo plug airplane when I was a kid). Because of my experience I assume I’m going to crash this cub pretty soon. I’ve watched the build video and hot glue was used to attach the servos but I’d like to have the option swap them to a new body/wing without too much trouble. Has anybody come up with a good mounting solution besides hot glue? I was considering some sort of Velcro and possibly a small foam board container to set it in to prevent movement and reduce the chances that the Velcro will fail...any ideas?

OliverW

Legendary member
I’m new to this hobby (other than a nearly fatal crash of a cheap glo plug airplane when I was a kid). Because of my experience I assume I’m going to crash this cub pretty soon. I’ve watched the build video and hot glue was used to attach the servos but I’d like to have the option swap them to a new body/wing without too much trouble. Has anybody come up with a good mounting solution besides hot glue? I was considering some sort of Velcro and possibly a small foam board container to set it in to prevent movement and reduce the chances that the Velcro will fail...any ideas?
You could put small plywood plates behind where the servo tabs are. Then use the screws included with the servo and screw them in. Wait, drill where the screws go! And use the big screws only

TooJung2Die

Master member
I’d like to have the option swap them to a new body/wing without too much trouble. Has anybody come up with a good mounting solution besides hot glue?

Use hot glue to mount the servos. When the airplane is ready to be scrapped use rubbing alcohol to release the hot glue. Alcohol makes hot glue peel off real easy. I've recycled servos many times this way.

Usafa93

Here’s my contribution to the Simple Cub armada. Livery was done with a little help from tape brothers and making good use of my vinyl cutter (I know, it’s a Z-bolt, not a lightning bolt. What can I say? I got excited and put them on the wrong sides!). Ailerons are on 2 channels so I could have flaperons. I use a 1300 mAh 3-cell and c-pack motor. Great design. Easy build. Very quickly has become my favorite plane to fly (sorry, Nic L-I still love the nnChipmunk and nnBF-109!)

Attachments

• 9F3E4931-894A-49F1-A61D-40A09F040B24.jpeg
    9F3E4931-894A-49F1-A61D-40A09F040B24.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 71A6EE90-A55C-48A4-A23F-DE85E44E942C.jpeg
    71A6EE90-A55C-48A4-A23F-DE85E44E942C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Airliftpilot

Flew my simple cub for the first time today...went pretty well accept my elevator servo ripped apart from the fuselage. I’d suggest possibly removing the paper layer next to where you intend to attach the servo. Caused a big time pitch up and what turned into my first loop (would have been beautiful if my prop didn’t hit the ground 😂. As a side note if you are an amateur like me...it would be smart to buy a few more extra props (mine didn’t fare well in the loop recovery crash).

Anyway good experience...tons more learning for me to do but it was fun to fail knowing that it won’t cost much too fix it.

OliverW

Legendary member
The ugly cub. It crashed on its second flight. Elevator broke apart around the control horn. Now the firewall breaks everytime it noses over.
20190324_114534.jpg
20190324_080638.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
This is my second simple cub that I've built The first one crashed in to the ground 😯 How does your fly with ailerons I've only flown three channel?
I built mine without any dihedral and an increase in wing incidence. Even without dihedral it has plenty of stability, (pendulum). It putts around at half throttle without any issues and lands very slow.
Aileron turns are simple as are rudder only turns you just need to be gentle on the controls when initiating the turn.

Been flying mine for around 6 months without any real issues, (except for the wing incidence which when too low caused it to fly like a bit of a dog).

Biggest killers of the Simple cub are poor builds, the wing incidence, and the old radio Loss of Signal!

Just my experience!

have fun!