*Unofficial* FT Simple Cub

TooJung2Die

Master member
It's just a flesh wound. :D
No worries. It's landings like that one that makes you appreciate Flite Test airplanes. Some hot glue and tape and it's ready to fly again. In the worst cases you get to build another one even better! That's a treat! (y)

Isn't it funny how with all the nice grass around you the airplane found the asphalt?

basslord1124

Master member
No worries. It's landings like that one that makes you appreciate Flite Test airplanes. Some hot glue and tape and it's ready to fly again. In the worst cases you get to build another one even better! That's a treat! (y)

Isn't it funny how with all the nice grass around you the airplane found the asphalt?

Yeah that is pretty funny. :D

On that flight, the only damage was some wrinkles on the nose, loose firewall, few wrinkles on the wingtips, and the landing gear. Come to find out, the firewall part was going to fail anyways seeing as I had only a small strip of tape reinforcing it. Not sure how I overlooked it.

I flew it some more yesterday and while the high rates issue is fixed (incorrect high rates were part of the problem for that crash), it suffered some more damage and crashing...kinda similar flight characteristics to the maiden. This time it did damage the firewall so have to replace it. Luckily not any more damage than that that I can tell. I will say, I do more damage to power pods/firewalls than any other part of the plane. :eek: I think I am going to re-examine the CG marking too. Where it's at now, it balances like exactly level. May shift the battery a tad for more nose down and see if it helps. I really shouldn't have flown yesterday anyways...we had wind gusts between 7-10mph, but alas, I got anxious! :oops:

Lilbanks96

Has anyone experienced a super nose heavy Cub? I finished my build and it’s balancing aggressively nose heavy with s 1000 mah 3s

d4mer

I built mine without any dihedral and an increase in wing incidence. Even without dihedral it has plenty of stability, (pendulum). It putts around at half throttle without any issues and lands very slow.
Aileron turns are simple as are rudder only turns you just need to be gentle on the controls when initiating the turn.

Been flying mine for around 6 months without any real issues, (except for the wing incidence which when too low caused it to fly like a bit of a dog).

Biggest killers of the Simple cub are poor builds, the wing incidence, and the old radio Loss of Signal!

Just my experience!

have fun!

Hi there,

Could you explain what you did with the wing incidence. I'm going to start building one in the next week or so and I want to make sure I get it right the first time around.

Thanks,

Ed

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hi there,

Could you explain what you did with the wing incidence. I'm going to start building one in the next week or so and I want to make sure I get it right the first time around.

Thanks,

Ed
Firstly I built the Simple cub to the plan except that I did not use any dihedral, (I built my wing flat), and I used large commercial wheels, (about 3 inch diameter). On test flying it I found that the cub behaved exactly as a lot of forum users complained. Less than stable, would not fly slowly, and tended to fall out of the sky and crash when slowing down for landing.

I altered the wing incidence in a manner that is fully reversible. First I ensured that the wing was sittinf flush with the wing sadlle area and then slipped a paddle pop stick between the wing leading edge and the front of the wing saddle so that the front of the wing was lifted by the thickness of the paddle pop stick.

Further test flying with the paddle pop stick fitted showed that the plane now floats on landing, flies very slowly and takes off after a very small ground run! it is so much better that I now use it to give newbie pilots a bit of diverse flight experience during their learning to fly.

Have fun!

Sterling101

Had some new foam board to try so did some plan mods and came up with this little beauty :)

IMG_20190529_225322.jpg
IMG_20190529_225341.jpg

New foam board has no paper backing so modified the plans to take this into account and used a few 3D printed parts for the undercarriage mount and motor mount. Rear wheel set up is just a 3D printed sleeve that goes over the bottom of the rudder and has the wheel and axle set into it and secured.
Opted for a single servo aileron on this wing as I raided the parts of a retired plane and it saved adding a new servo as the single set up works really well, especially as I decided not to add dihedral on the wing.
Motor for maiden was a DYS 2826 1000kv spinning a 9x6 APC style prop.

Managed a maiden last night and it's not bad at all! First flight was dialling in the trim and control throws, then second flight I decided to play a little more with it but nothing too crazy! Impressed with the feel in the air though definitely.
Just fluffed the landing on the second flight though - found it's tip stall point and managed to bend the motor shaft so it now has a 1400kv in it's place spinning the same 9x6 prop.

Looking forward to having some more stick time with this little thing - lovely relaxing flying.

Maiden flight video taken on hat cam...

Second flight taken by my other half - her first attempt at filming using a DSLR camera!

d4mer

So I fixed the Simple Cub up after a terrible build, terrible maiden and horrible crash but for the life of me I haven't been able to and can't get the CG right!!! It is very tail heavy and even with the motor mount flush with the nose and the battery in, it is still nose heavy! Any suggestions?

2212 970KV 1050 prop 1500 3s lipo

hay guys i broke all my 9/4.5 props that came in the kit and got replacements but the ones they recommended were 8/4.5 why the difference ?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
hay guys i broke all my 9/4.5 props that came in the kit and got replacements but the ones they recommended were 8/4.5 why the difference ?
Where were the 8x4.5 props reccomended? Also, are you using the ft power pack? In the future when you buy props, I would recommend APC props. Mine have survived many nose dives, and that will save you money! These are the ones I recommend. https://store.flitetest.com/apc-9x4.5-thin-electric-propeller-apc09045e/p17928

Don’t get the slow fly props as they break very easily.

Where were the 8x4.5 props reccomended? Also, are you using the ft power pack? In the future when you buy props, I would recommend APC props. Mine have survived many nose dives, and that will save you money! These are the ones I recommend. https://store.flitetest.com/apc-9x4.5-thin-electric-propeller-apc09045e/p17928

Don’t get the slow fly props as they break very easily.
Ya the 9/4.5 came with the power pack and the recommended is the 8/4.5 and i allredy did lol :( but i will know for next time

Bludworth

Has anyone tried giving the cub the "master series" treatment?

I've thought about trying some different ideas when I build my next one. I want to try a more realistic nose like on the commuter and close in the ends of the wing also. The master series spitfire technique at the wing tips should work pretty well but I'm not sure about how to give the nose that rounded shape and not have to completely revamp the power pod and how it's positioned.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Has anyone tried giving the cub the "master series" treatment?

I've thought about trying some different ideas when I build my next one. I want to try a more realistic nose like on the commuter and close in the ends of the wing also. The master series spitfire technique at the wing tips should work pretty well but I'm not sure about how to give the nose that rounded shape and not have to completely revamp the power pod and how it's positioned.
I haven’t seen anyone do it. One great place to start is by taking a piece of paper and using it to get a close estimate of the size and shape of the piece you want to use. You might have to make a fixed motor mount, or you could blow up the plans to 115% and that would give you a little more room to make a curved nose.

Bludworth

I think I have an idea that just might work. Formers. One square right at the bottom of the window since that area is square and another one a bit further forward with the right shape then the last inch or two would be the strips like the spitfire nose. I would use a power pod sleeve as well for strength and maybe add another former further back too. This all may add too much weight though. We shall see.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I think I have an idea that just might work. Formers. One square right at the bottom of the window since that area is square and another one a bit further forward with the right shape then the last inch or two would be the strips like the spitfire nose. I would use a power pod sleeve as well for strength and maybe add another former further back too. This all may add too much weight though. We shall see.
It shouldn't add too much weight. My simple cub was pretty heavy and it flew just fine.