*Unofficial* FT Simple Scout

Canair

Another Scout is about to maiden...
48136B48-AAFF-409E-8BAD-87DDB7E773C6.jpeg

TooJung2Die

Master member
Customized Simple Scout

Having just completed the Willy Nillies Eaglet 250 it's time to take a vacation from balsa and build a FT Foamie. I keep hearing what a great flier the Simple Scout is. Some say it's Josh's best design. I made a few changes, most of them cosmetic. I got rid of the bat-wing trailing edges and rounded the rudder. I extended the turtle deck to the tail and lengthened the cockpit section. Then I closed off the nose. The landing gear is a soldered wire frame with soda can wheels. All the edges are ironed. Here's a photo of it before I decide how to paint it. I'll use acrylic paint and an airbrush. Engine heads and windshield go on after the paint job.

IMG_1870.JPG

Jon

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
Customized Simple Scout

Having just completed the Willy Nillies Eaglet 250 it's time to take a vacation from balsa and build a FT Foamie. I keep hearing what a great flier the Simple Scout is. Some say it's Josh's best design. I made a few changes, most of them cosmetic. I got rid of the bat-wing trailing edges and rounded the rudder. I extended the turtle deck to the tail and lengthened the cockpit section. Then I closed off the nose. The landing gear is a soldered wire frame with soda can wheels. All the edges are ironed. Here's a photo of it before I decide how to paint it. I'll use acrylic paint and an airbrush. Engine heads and windshield go on after the paint job.

View attachment 159868

Jon
Jon.... That is one CLEAN looking Scout!! She should fly as good as she looks!

Rhaps

Elite member
Customized Simple Scout

View attachment 159868

Jon
Love the wheels!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Customized Simple Scout

View attachment 159868

Jon
Looks great! Might have a cooling issue closing off the nose like that though. Watch the wide-open throttle and monitor the ESC and motor temps after flying.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
My third standard size Scout built for 3D...
20200224_000218.jpg

Symmetrical KFm wing, enlarged ailerons and tail control surfaces, and the wing and Hstab in line with the thrust line. Tapered the wing chord from root to tip for better roll maneuverability and extended the pod to fit a 2200 3s inside...
20200224_000424.jpg

The rudder was extended down below the fuse lead by a ventral fin, wing tip fences for the crisp knife edges, and all the control surfaces have at least +/- 45 degrees of travel. Yet to maiden. Should fly similar to the FT-3D

TooJung2Die

Master member
My third standard size Scout built for 3D...
Awesome! Nice clean build. It will be fun to fly. Still finishing up my Scout. I can see how this design lends itself to all kinds of mods. We love to start with something that works perfectly and then bash it! :LOL:

Last edited:

Maxx

My third standard size Scout built for 3D... View attachment 160188
Symmetrical KFm wing, enlarged ailerons and tail control surfaces, and the wing and Hstab in line with the thrust line. Tapered the wing chord from root to tip for better roll maneuverability and extended the pod to fit a 2200 3s inside...
View attachment 160189
The rudder was extended down below the fuse lead by a ventral fin, wing tip fences for the crisp knife edges, and all the control surfaces have at least +/- 45 degrees of travel. Yet to maiden. Should fly similar to the FT-3D
Beautiful !

TooJung2Die

Master member
Just smashingly sexy man, look at those smooth edges too
Thanks! I see you iron the edges too. Wait... you recently did a 'how-to' video on that. (y) I discovered it by accident a few years ago. I was trying to smooth out a wrinkled wingtip with an iron. Ironing the edges strengthens, prevents delaminating, is aerodynamic, and looks better than a raw edge.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks! I see you iron the edges too. Wait... you recently did a 'how-to' video on that. (y) I discovered it by accident a few years ago. I was trying to smooth out a wrinkled wingtip with an iron. Ironing the edges strengthens, prevents delaminating, is aerodynamic, and looks better than a raw edge.
Yea when I found out about it I had to make a vid on it. Haven't looked back since, I promote the hell out of it

TooJung2Die

Master member
The Simple Scout is a blast. It may become my favorite Flite Test airplane. The maiden flight was one of those very rare occasions where no trim was needed. It balanced right on the CG with a 1500 mAh 3S battery.

Jon

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Do you have any video of your flights or describe what the problem is
I determined the last flight it is defiantly tail heavy (even though it balances where it's supposed to). My first flight out it flew great with a 3oz lead sinker but I droped that down to 1-2 oz in subsequent flights thinking it was too much. I have a replacement motor to put into it when I get the chance and will add some nose weight or try a 2200 3S. Haven't had much time to work on it lately. When I do have time I've been spending it on the Spitfire.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I determined the last flight it is defiantly tail heavy (even though it balances where it's supposed to). My first flight out it flew great with a 3oz lead sinker but I droped that down to 1-2 oz in subsequent flights thinking it was too much. I have a replacement motor to put into it when I get the chance and will add some nose weight or try a 2200 3S. Haven't had much time to work on it lately. When I do have time I've been spending it on the Spitfire.
If you need more nose weight leverage here is what you can do. You can extend the power pod by an inch in half or so, this way the motor sits out of the fuse and you don't have to add nose weight. I did this on my Scouts and they worked out great
20190810_170529.jpg
20200224_000218.jpg
20200229_102425.jpg