*Unofficial* FT Simple Scout

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks. I'm dying to find out how your 3D version of the Scout flies.
I did maiden it... for 5 seconds... then lost signal and crashed. Minor damage to the wing tip fence, but it was as straight as an arrow man, loved it. Need to get my Tx/Rx system worked out and she will be airborne once again. I am excited to put a full batt through it for sure

TooJung2Die

Master member
Does anyone know the dry weight of their Scout (without battery)? I just weighed mine and was surprised it was a chunky 18.2 ounces. It doesn't fly like it's that heavy. :)

Jon

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Does anyone know the dry weight of their Scout (without battery)? I just weighed mine and was surprised it was a chunky 18.2 ounces. It doesn't fly like it's that heavy. :)I don't know the weight of mine because I have no scale, but specs say 15oz dry and 18.9 AUW. Really the size and shape of the wing will carry much more then that depending on how fast you fly it. I would say you are in the ball park for sure

Jon

Rhaps

Elite member
It's my time to finally join Scout Boys

scout1.png

scout2.png

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It's my time to finally join Scout Boys

View attachment 161424
View attachment 161425
I just finished my 2nd scout. My 1st and still favorite plane to fly.
Both gorgeous planes! the Scout was my first as well, and I think anyone who starts on the Scout just love that plane and build it multiple times. You see the same with people who start on the TT. It's funny how we get nostalgic like that. Myself I did try the TT twice, two separate builds and had no luck on it. Even though I could probably figure it out now that I have more experience I probably wouldn't build another again. Besides the Scout has more attitude lol

Matagami Designs

Master member
I was bit unhappy with my wheels, after seeing yours I'm totally bummed about them (and awestruck by yours)

On my 1st scout i modified the gear so that they were a bit more rigid. I found after my constant crashing I needed a better system. I'm not sure how well the new ones will work with the lifting element so close to the ground. I may need to revise it for bigger wheels but I definitely am happy with the look I achieved. Printed the black parts on my new ender 3 and assembled it with some bbq skewers and 3/16 dowel.

Attachments

• 20200314_150841.jpg
    20200314_150841.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
On my 1st scout i modified the gear so that they were a bit more rigid. I found after my constant crashing I needed a better system. I'm not sure how well the new ones will work with the lifting element so close to the ground. I may need to revise it for bigger wheels but I definitely am happy with the look I achieved. Printed the black parts on my new ender 3 and assembled it with some bbq skewers and 3/16 dowel.
I will say it definitely looks so scale, especially for a FB Simple Series plane, primo! The wheels look scale too but probably not practical performance wise, depends on the ground you land on lol

I noticed, but did you notice that I used your ironing tips. The videos were really a revelation!
I did, sweet touch. Those scallops I did on my latest 2 back to back builds were tedious and almost loathed by the time the second was done, but once sanded looks so sharp. You do the hinges that way too?

RighteousDude

Hello Folks,
My scout also balanced but still flew like it was major tail heavy (it flew horrible). Does the motor fit in the fuze with a thrust angle that I'm missing? I'm building a new one and will be extending my motor forward more than it was before. Thanks in advance