*Unofficial* FT Simple Stick

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Tired of waiting for FT, I built the Hanger Simple Stik in a 115% version, which seemed like a pretty good size to me. At 115% the channel cuts weren't much bigger than the foam thickness, so I just fudged the size down a little. This size gave me a 42" wingspan at the leading edge which would allow me to use a stock FT Stik wing sometime in the future if the plans ever come out. After reading about others problems with CG, I moved the tail servos forward and moved the wing back a little. I also used CF pushrods to reduce tail weight. In this configuration the CG was right on one of the CG marks with a 1300 3s all the way forward. There were two different CG marks on the plans so I took the conservative route and went for the forward one which looked OK to me.

On its maiden flight it flew pretty well. The roll rate was sufficiently sporty and the handling was predictable with one exception. In an outside loop, the plane showed a reluctance to make the inverted up turn to complete the loop. I thought that might have been a pushrod wow issue so I added a few more pushrod guides to keep it straight. After testing it, the problem persisted, so I am going to try moving the CG back a bit on the theory that the plane is a little nose heavy and can't lift the nose well when inverted. If that doesn't help, I kind of think it might be the flat bottom wing not performing so well when inverted. Any thoughts?

View attachment 182756
I really like the big wheels on it man that's awesome. Nice prop too. I think the issue you maybe having could be a couple things. One could be the CG like you mentioned, maybe move it back to the back mark, or move the wing forward to its original spot. The outside loop can be a tricky one to diagnose, I built mine with the semi-symmetrical wing just like the FT one on @The Hangar design. And it is nice and sporty as well, rolls like its goin out of style. One thing I did notice though is the design has a small elevator. The Hstab could be wider and the elevator could be longer, gives you more authority.

I should try mine again

I will enlarge the elevator if I have to, but I'm hoping the CG fix works. Moving the wing would just involve two new skewers. Actually, one nice thing about this design is the longer than necessary wing platform gives more than one easy option for wing placement.

I'm glad you like the wheels. I build them myself out of layers of quarter-inch urethane foam and credit cards. The six-inch version comes in at 32 grams. They are soft enough to run very quietly on decomposed granite. This pair previously ran on my Bushwhacker for a couple of years. I can fly off of very deep grass or pretty rough gravel with them.

I got a break in the weather and tried the Hangar Stick with the CG shifted about half an inch back by moving the 1300 battery as far back as the bulkhead would allow. It flew solidly with no squirreliness so I tried a few outside loops to see what it would do. I tried to hold in some speed and power through the bottom but it still wanted to roll out when inverted almost like a tip stall. I think it isn't just an elevator problem or a CG problem. I'm kind of back to the flat bottomed wing thing. I might go ahead and move the wing forward a bit and see if a little more CG-aft changes anything, but otherwise I'm out of ideas.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I got a break in the weather and tried the Hangar Stick with the CG shifted about half an inch back by moving the 1300 battery as far back as the bulkhead would allow. It flew solidly with no squirreliness so I tried a few outside loops to see what it would do. I tried to hold in some speed and power through the bottom but it still wanted to roll out when inverted almost like a tip stall. I think it isn't just an elevator problem or a CG problem. I'm kind of back to the flat bottomed wing thing. I might go ahead and move the wing forward a bit and see if a little more CG-aft changes anything, but otherwise I'm out of ideas.
Hard to say man, I wish I could help you out better. I know an under powered plane might do this like an upright stall. Have you tried to extend the elevator surface?

Piotrsko

Master member
flatbottom wing at huge positive incidence with sharper leading edge. So at the bottom of the loop you are fighting gravity and centrifugal force. Cant make enough lift to beat both and by using max horiz stab you effectively stall the bottom of the wing. Quick fix: stick a 1/8" shim under the trailing edge, 1 layer KFM style leading edge scab on that's blunter , bigger wing or really huge motor to prop walk back to upright. Cg change will only do so much and won't stop the stall.

Winglet

The simple stick is sort of a throwback to the early days when FT designed planes to be easy to build and easy to repair. Most of them were also great fliers. Recently their planes have been complicated to build and mostly appealing to modelers who want fidelity to some actual plane. Some of them were almost impossible to repair. I have an FT Edge with a busted motor mount that I can't figure out how to repair without cutting the whole fuselage open. There is nothing wrong with that, but I do this mostly to fly, not to spend all my time building and doing difficult repairs. How well I like a plane is based totally on how it flies, not the way it looks. The last FT plane that I really liked was the Bushwhacker, and I flew the crap out of it for almost two years. I rebuilt the wing twice, tailfeathers once, landing gear three times, and finally scrapped it when the fuselage totally lost its stiffness. Each time I made the wings a little larger and the wheels bigger too.

So, the bottom line is, I want to start building my FT Simple Stick right now. I have half a box of brown waterproof foam left just waiting to fly. I assume the plans will be posted here when they are available? And its coming soon, right?

So with you Larry. I build for simplicity and good flying capability. Not looks so much. Gonna jump on this one too!

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I don't know anything about the release date,
but I heard it will not be downloadable by those that complain about how long it's taking to release. :eek:

Edit: Wow. A lot of posts just "disappeared"! :oops:

Easy on the hate mail. Just funnin'! ;)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
COMING SOON...
FT Simple Stick

Design By: Josh Bixler
Plans By: Dan Sponholz

Description:
The simple stick is as simple to build as it is to fly aerobatics with! This classic design inspired Speed Build Kit is something that builders and pilots of all experience levels will enjoy. The symmetrical airfoil coupled with large control surfaces makes this four channel bird a great platform to get comfortable with sport flying and most aerobatics!

Speed Build Kit:
FT Simple Stick Speed Build Kit

Power Pack Compatibility:
Power Pack B

Specs:
Wingspan: 42 in. (1067 mm)

Free Plans: FT Simple Stick Plans...coming soon
Printing Instructions
DIY Templates

Videos:
Any sign of a release date yet for the free plans ? I am pretty sure I am not the only one waiting impatiently for the plans ?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
COMING SOME DAY...

luv it @SP0NZ . :LOL:
You missed one...

1607454192980.png

jolfstn74

Having murdered my daily flyer,I turned my attention to the troublesome stick I constructed. I shrink wrapped the wing, polyurethane+starched the fuselage, sanded, painted, polyurethane coated again, addressed the angle of attack to give a slight downward/starboard affect, rechristened her the fUgly Stick® and got as far as a glide test,no bad tendencies displayed thus far. Its off putting design is a great security feature, nobody would ever steal anything that ugly! Photo to follow,be advised,content may be disturbing to most viewers.
Does she fly? Is Schrodinger's cat alive? Until I test it I give an unqualified YES! DEFINITELY!
IMG_20201215_094933.jpg

DavidM

Sponz, do you think you can talk Josh into letting you make public the drawing for the bombs. They look cool.