*Unofficial* FT Spear

chetw77cruiser

Blunt nose versa/spear hybrid.

I have been a fan of the versa and blunt nose versa for a couple of years. I have probably made four or five different derivatives of the blunt nose, including a couple with a fuselage of some sort. This was mainly to add some area for extras like cameras, batteries and other electronics. When the spear came out, I did not see the need to transition to a smaller frame just for the needed cargo space. After seeing the multitude of folks that have made and flown the spear, I looked into it. Then I had an idea, what about making a hybrid of the spear and versa wing. I sat at the workbench, pondered what my options were, and set forth on my version of what I am calling the Versa Spear. Overall, I used the standardized versa wing plans but with the central wing section extended so as to closely match the central section of the spear. I also made the wing spar in the spear design, box spar instead of laminated, if you know what I am talking about. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures during the build, but I did make templates so I can repeat this design. One aspect of the spear that I did not replicate was the rear of the center section. I did not like how the back did not make a smooth transition to the prop circle. Other planes that I have built or flown that had a less than stellar transition tended to be noisy and inefficient. That being said, I figured I would carry the center section the the trailing edge of the wing, similar to the standard versa design. This allows for two thing; a smooth airflow transition to the pusher prop, and two; allows for more area to be used for avionics.

I have yet to fly this design, but I have faith that this will not disappoint.

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

Reactions: dav

Flite Risk

Sponz, did you wrap yours in monokote? Is that why yours is white?
Also did you use any kind of gyro or flite controller <----see what I did there....

Yayat

We made a trip to my hometown, on my way back to the city we are looking for flying site. We thought it was the best site we can find. Check out the rest of the story...

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Love those 3D printed wingtips! I have a super powered spear project coming up and the more aerodynamic tips will really make it slick. Hope your maiden goes well.

TESLA overdrive

FT Spear gets the FT Beta Builders seal of approval!

I love this wing! Hats off to Josh Bixler and the Flite Test crew for this one. It is everything the FT Blunt Nose Versa Wing should have been. No disrespect to the BNV, I've had several. But, I could never get a 2200 3S to fit in my BNV and be able to close the hatch. And balancing it without FPV gear required extra weight.

The Spear is a step up. The center section of the spear has a ton of room for battery (or two) and extra gear. Or, even a burrito. ;) When you get this thing up in the air though it really shines. The spear feels very locked in. My maiden required almost no trim and she behaved great right out of my hands. On the C-Pack setup it slows down to almost a crawl. Open up the throttle and it's a good intermediate flying experience. It won't break any speed records on the C-Pack with a 3S, but it is pure joy to fly. I will be trying it out on 4S soon. Hopefully, I'll have some FPV gear in it before winter as well.

On thing to note. I originally went crazy on the power setup with an NTM Prop Drive 35-36 1800kv, 7x5 APC prop and 3000 mAh 4S. I did not take into account the massive size of the elevons and the speed that this setup could hit. Needless to say, 9g servos will not be enough for that setup. If you want to go fast, you're going to need bigger servos. When I punched it I had absolutely no control. Luckily a tree jumped out and stopped it from getting too far away. Surprisingly, there were only a couple wrinkles in the foam. I was able to swap out the electronics with my C-Pack and fly it as-is. I plan to build a new one with metal gear servos and the speed setup. I'll keep you posted if I do. It was FAST! :)

Here is my Beta version of the FT Spear. Have I mentioned how much I like this thing!

Can I use a higher kv and a smaller prop? Specifically a 2400kv and a 6×4 prop?

Jstew 726

My first spear! I've flown it now about half a dozen times (spring weather being what it is I count myself lucky) I'm using a 9x6 pusher prop. It flies like a dream! It was probably the smoothest maiden flight I've ever had in 22 years! I do have some CG problems when I try to mount my GoPro on board though. I even mounted a 3200mah 3s in the back next to the firewall and it still was nose heavy! I now have a second spear with the vectored thrust system on the way to build and am planning on redesigning the power pod with AutoCAD to get laser cut out if carbon fiber so I can adjust the CG depending on if I have the cam on board or not. However I'd like to know if any of you have had similar problems when installing a hero 4 silver on the nose plate they supply from flite test, and what did you end up doing to correct the balance problems? Also here is the video of the first flight. (Needed a little bit of trimming then she flew straight)

Attachments

• IMG_20190326_230417.jpg
    IMG_20190326_230417.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

jross

My third Spear build.

First one I've done anything different with. Decided to ditch the outboard stabilizers and use the inboard stabilizers for the first time. Also added a bunch of reinforcement at the back end to keep the wings from cracking and ripping off. Cut one end of 4 tongue depressors square, butted them along the center line top and bottom. Hot glued in place, covered with extreme packing tape then sandwiched on the bottom side with the belly doubler. Has made it incredibly rigid. Also added two popsicle sticks to the top of the center fuselage spar as both these locations seem to get broken off on previous builds.

The tongue depressors meant my 2650 4S moved from the very back of the battery bay to the very front. Previously, that battery was as far back as it could go so adding any cameras was impossible. Now that it's forward, I can add cameras and move it back a touch or go with a heavier battery at the back of the bay.

Inboard stabilizers are the bomb. The plane was louder as expected but tracked far better than my last two with the outboard stabilizers. Couldn't believe the difference. Like it was on rails. First time I've ever experienced that. Fun stuff.

I love this plane. Without a doubt my favourite FT plane to date. The arrow is a close second. Both have taught me so much about building and flying wings successfully. I understand CG and reflex like never before. It's cool to be able to put a wing up, see how it's flying, land it, adjust CG or reflex and relaunch a smoother flying plane. Only took 5 months!

20190907_185831.jpg

20190907_185858.jpg

20190907_190637.jpg

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I finally built my first Spear, I have built several at 70% scale and loved them but had no "need" for a larger wing. But after crashing my Night Radian which my daughter (2years old) enjoyed watching me fly because she could track its large size, I decided to try a Spear. Built it up and added some colored packing tape and headed out to fly. She really enjoyed watching it fly, and I really enjoy how locked in the Spear is. I had used a Strix 2212 2200kv motor with 7x4APC prop but noticed some strange noises and swapped the motor out for a SunnySky 2216 1250kv with 8x6 prop and she flies GREAT!
GOPR3499_1581889936442_high_2.JPG

Unfortunately yesterday I got a little low on a fast low pass...
IMG_20200217_165352.jpg

Only real damage was the motor mount and I have already printed another...just gotta figure out how to get a ton of hot glue to release haha (I know about using denatured alcohol)

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
If you really want to lock it in, use the center stabilizers. Couldn't believe the difference when I used them on my last build and ditched the wingtip stabilizers.
Years ago had a few blunt nose versa wings, also shrunk down, that I didn't have any verticals on, those were fun :)

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
New motor mount printed and have flown my Spear a few more times. Had my buddy chase it a little yesterday.

Last edited: