*Unofficial* FT Spear

NorbertK

So, just had an unfortunate and terminal incident with a roving tree and my Durafly Das UglyStik. Looking through the list of FT planes that I could possibly swap the electronics into, the Spear interests me the most. The donor motor specs are closest to the C pack at about 1100 kV, but it's a bit larger & heavier with a 35mm diameter can. The motor also has the shaft coming out the bottom, so looks like it can't be mounted with the motor on the outside. (I've not taken it apart yet to see if the shaft can be swapped to out the motor top yet.)

So, a couple questions for those that have built this...
I'm not terribly worried about getting CoG correct as there's enough room inside this wing to move stuff about as needed, but I am wondering if there's enough room inside the Spear power pod to fit a motor this large, and would there be any issues with a prop running very close to the fuse? (Other than maybe some higher noise and lower efficiency.)

Oh, and any issues I may not have thought of?

Thanks,
Mark

What kind of prop you want to use ?
I have a 3530/1100kv motor, running a 10x4.7 APC S prop, it fits in a 120% Spear, not on the original dimension Spear.
I printed the drawing at 120%. She fly great.

Fyathyrio

Thanks for response...the original plane had 10x6, so thinking I will stick with 10" at least, unless need more grunt, then maybe 9x7 or so. Depends on efficiency really, will want longer than 10 min flight times too...so may end up at 10x4.7 SF or regular 10x5.

NorbertK

Planing to swap the wings:
17917765_1673066039390222_7138899651730655483_o.jpg 17917877_1673066089390217_6286512002185421054_o.jpg

deckroid

I am still waiting for electronics, but I went ahead and put the wings together as I just couldn't wait any longer. I'm like a kid at Xmas! In the flying video from Josh and them, they have everything inside and have the FPV and Receiver antennae kitty corner to each other. Would it be better to put them on the wing tips? Once it all arrives I can quickly wire up a harness for everything, but I am wondering if I will need to. I am not going so far as a GPS autopilot module, but I would like to send this out a little ways.

NorbertK

Ok, did a maiden today,flying good, central positioned fins not working well, lots of yaw movement. I will reattach the winglets for next flight.

Kerberus

Hi all,

I recently build a FT Spear which I power using a 3S 2200mah and a 1000kV motor that spins a 10x4.5 inch propeller. I find this set-up quite under-powered, in fact I'm even having a bad time even taking off! I have only managed to get a few successful flights when weather conditions are ideal, but even then the aircraft struggles to climb due to limited power. In addition to the power issue, I fly the aircraft in an area with no grass, so nearly every belly landing breaks the tips of the propeller. I was thinking to buy a foldable propeller to solve this.

Since I have recently bought plenty of 3S batteries which I want to use, the answer would be to step-up the motor to a higher kV. I was thinking to get perhaps a 1800kV motor and combine it with some smaller diameter foldable propeller. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks

NorbertK

What is the AUW weight ?
Mine depron Spear ( 120 % size ) is 1300-ish grams , 3530-1400kV, 5200mah 3s, 10x5.5 APC E.

The latest video: