*Unofficial* FT Spitfire Master Series

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hey pilots
shes Getting there šŸ˜ nav lights are in although the red and green wingtips are wrong way round,
1st layers of paint down on her, waiting for C pack motor to arrive, 2x 4s 3000 batteries arrived today
once the power train is in Iā€™ll finish off the paint scheme and add the panel lines then itā€™s finish up with some decals and pilot number and sheā€™s good to rip up the skies
new camera arrived also so hopefully get some on board footage for the maiden in couple weeks when I get home šŸŽ®šŸ’«āœˆļøšŸ’„šŸ”„šŸ˜
That looks sharp, good luck on the maiden. Be sure to post the vid

danbob

Hey pilots
shes Getting there šŸ˜ nav lights are in although the red and green wingtips are wrong way round,
1st layers of paint down on her, waiting for C pack motor to arrive, 2x 4s 3000 batteries arrived today
once the power train is in Iā€™ll finish off the paint scheme and add the panel lines then itā€™s finish up with some decals and pilot number and sheā€™s good to rip up the skies
new camera arrived also so hopefully get some on board footage for the maiden in couple weeks when I get home šŸŽ®šŸ’«āœˆļøšŸ’„šŸ”„šŸ˜

Looks great, liking the invasion stripes, looking forward to seeing the finished product :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
3s might be kinda light for the Spit on the old emax. I am running a 3536 1200 on mine and that will run on 3s. I will run it on 4s as well but it will maiden on 3s for sure, on an 11x7x3 Master Airscrew. 4s would be a 10x5 APC

w1lp33

I'm building the master series spitfire and was planning to use the older c pack motor. The emax GT 2215-09. Can this motor run on 4S? The spec sheet only shows 3S. Also, I wonder if there is enough ventilation for cooling the electronics. Has anyone done any mods for cooling?

The FT guys have always said you can use 4S on the C-pack if you prop down. So 10" prop on 3s, 9" prop on 4S. But do at your own risk. Maybe run on 4s on the bench for a minute and check if the motor gets too hot.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'm building the master series spitfire and was planning to use the older c pack motor. The emax GT 2215-09. Can this motor run on 4S? The spec sheet only shows 3S. Also, I wonder if there is enough ventilation for cooling the electronics. Has anyone done any mods for cooling?
Iā€™ve run my Emax GT 2215-09 on 4s with a 9x6 prop and heavy on the throttle for a whole pack the motor was warm but not hot.

danbob

Was experimenting with weathering this morning, slowly figuring out the best way to do things
FHD0083.JPG
FHD0084.JPG
FHD0075.JPG
FHD0076.JPG
FHD0072.JPG

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Here's my attempt at video editing with one of those cheapo action cameras. This video is actually her third flight- the maiden ended shortly after I decided to fly in front of the sun and got disoriented. Ouch! This video is proof that these buggers can still fly well after a nasty crash. Now she's more tape and hot glue in the nose than foam and her cowling now seems to be detachable, but it still flies like a boss. Time to think about another one, I think, which leads me to my questions about the Spit's CG.

1) How much weight is everybody putting up front? I was using 5 oz for a slightly nose-heavy CG. Is that normal for this Spit?

2) Additionally, where are folks putting their weights? I had flattened lead sinkers weights tucked behind the prop around the motor in that small cavity, but would love to find a more secure location. Any suggestions from the group?

It's a beautiful plane with a great presence in the sky. I can't wait to build another one...and probably crash it, too. And a BIG THANK YOU to the folks who designed this plane. Be well, everybody.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Here's my attempt at video editing with one of those cheapo action cameras. This video is actually her third flight- the maiden ended shortly after I decided to fly in front of the sun and got disoriented. Ouch! This video is proof that these buggers can still fly well after a nasty crash. Now she's more tape and hot glue in the nose than foam and her cowling now seems to be detachable, but it still flies like a boss. Time to think about another one, I think, which leads me to my questions about the Spit's CG.

1) How much weight is everybody putting up front? I was using 5 oz for a slightly nose-heavy CG. Is that normal for this Spit?

2) Additionally, where are folks putting their weights? I had flattened lead sinkers weights tucked behind the prop around the motor in that small cavity, but would love to find a more secure location. Any suggestions from the group?

It's a beautiful plane with a great presence in the sky. I can't wait to build another one...and probably crash it, too. And a BIG THANK YOU to the folks who designed this plane. Be well, everybody.

That was awesome man! Clean build, the paint is brilliant. You have no issues with the low altitude flying either. A bit more expo in the elevator and you will smooth it out even better. As far as the CG you could go with a larger battery, that way you add weight where you need it and you get the extra power or time advantage. What size are you using now?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
That was awesome man! Clean build, the paint is brilliant. You have no issues with the low altitude flying either. A bit more expo in the elevator and you will smooth it out even better. As far as the CG you could go with a larger battery, that way you add weight where you need it and you get the extra power or time advantage. What size are you using now?

Thank you. I'll fiddle with a little more expo on the elevator and see if that helps. I'm currently running a 3s 2200, but do have a 4S 2200 I could stick in there.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thank you. I'll fiddle with a little more expo on the elevator and see if that helps. I'm currently running a 3s 2200, but do have a 4S 2200 I could stick in there.
Try the 4s for sure if you can handle a little more speed which it looks like you won't have an issue with. I would even say maybe find a couple cheap 3700 3s if you like how scale it flies right now. I noticed you do the bank and yank technique, did you build it as an AET 3 channel or, just like me, left thumb dumb lol?!

sh0sey

That was awesome! Loved seeing the build progress photos at the beginning too. Always nice seeing what other peopleā€™s processes look like. Beautiful plane in the end.
Amazed at how little space it took up on your flying field. Is it pretty easy to keep it in a medium sized space like that? I havenā€™t done a master series plane yet so I am curious how they handle. great piloting!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That was awesome! Loved seeing the build progress photos at the beginning too. Always nice seeing what other peopleā€™s processes look like. Beautiful plane in the end.
Amazed at how little space it took up on your flying field. Is it pretty easy to keep it in a medium sized space like that? I havenā€™t done a master series plane yet so I am curious how they handle. great piloting!
The MS Spit is one of FT's larger planes, on a C pack 3s package that would be about you would expect, almost like the Storch as to how its floaty with the huge wing. How is the Corsair coming along?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Try the 4s for sure if you can handle a little more speed which it looks like you won't have an issue with. I would even say maybe find a couple cheap 3700 3s if you like how scale it flies right now. I noticed you do the bank and yank technique, did you build it as an AET 3 channel or, just like me, left thumb dumb lol?!

My piloting skills aren't the best, so I'm laying off the rudder more than I should. I'm fairly new to the hobby and am self-taught. I'll see about some bigger 3S batteries- I do like her scale presence in the air. Thanks for the recommendation!