*Unofficial* FT Spitfire Master Series

Apple Pie

Elite member
Thanks. I'll try and reserve judgment until it flies.
No question these MS builds are time consuming, but wow does this plane fly well. As long as you enjoy the build process they are worth the effort. Your motor setup sounds great, should fly like a bat out of hell!

When the dust settles, if you enjoy the MS spitfire you’ll enjoy the MS P51 too 😁

Marty72

Elite member
I'm pretty much done, a bit behind schedule. I won't be able to maiden until Monday at the soonest. I spent a lot more time on this, more than I'd like to admit.

Can someone who has flown this plane tell me where they placed their CG at relative to the LE? John recommends 2.0, the chord method say 2.5-3.0, just looking for actuals.

So here are the specs on it.
Motor: 3536 Rimfire 1200 w/ 10x7 prop. 2 1/2 Dubro Spinner, 3s 2200mah (to start with) battery.
Weight: The plane ready to fly w/o battery weighs 803 grams. Right now, I've got the cg at 2.25 in, w/ the battery all the way forward.

IMG_2618.JPG
IMG_2619.JPG

Marty72

Elite member
For now, I'm not using the hatch. I noticed the plane is difficult to hold and probably impossible to over hand launch. I don't care for the under hand launch, I've done it but I'm not comfortable with it. I thought I was going to have to find someone to hand launch it for the maiden but I came up with a solution. I doubled up the wooden wing spar with a popsicle stick, attached to the opposite side of the fb spar. I then made a crossmembers and stiffened the whole thing up a lot. I did the same thing going forward (perpendicular) and offset it slightly so I could install a 4s battery. Added a piece of popsicle stick to the forward bulkhead to support the perpendicular member. This is hard to describe, just look at the pic.

I really like this hand hold, it's stiffer than you'd think and it's great way to carry the plane around and hand launch as well. I initially stiffened up the spar, knowing that if I broke that (using it as a hand hold), it would be catastrophic. At some point, I may put a hatch on it, but for now, no hatch.

IMG_2616.JPG

shadeyB

Legendary member
For now, I'm not using the hatch. I noticed the plane is difficult to hold and probably impossible to over hand launch. I don't care for the under hand launch, I've done it but I'm not comfortable with it. I thought I was going to have to find someone to hand launch it for the maiden but I came up with a solution. I doubled up the wooden wing spar with a popsicle stick, attached to the opposite side of the fb spar. I then made a crossmembers and stiffened the whole thing up a lot. I did the same thing going forward (perpendicular) and offset it slightly so I could install a 4s battery. Added a piece of popsicle stick to the forward bulkhead to support the perpendicular member. This is hard to describe, just look at the pic.

I really like this hand hold, it's stiffer than you'd think and it's great way to carry the plane around and hand launch as well. I initially stiffened up the spar, knowing that if I broke that (using it as a hand hold), it would be catastrophic. At some point, I may put a hatch on it, but for now, no hatch.

View attachment 175448
Fantastic looking build there Marty
Your not far off the mark at 2.5
Put 4s in and you won’t regret it. Underhand launch , just power her up and she’ll take off out your hand with little throw 👍

Marty72

Elite member
Have you figured out the landing on this one? Looks like it stalls out pretty fast (didn't look like you were going too low either) in the video.

P40VRP

I'm pretty much done, a bit behind schedule. I won't be able to maiden until Monday at the soonest. I spent a lot more time on this, more than I'd like to admit.

Can someone who has flown this plane tell me where they placed their CG at relative to the LE? John recommends 2.0, the chord method say 2.5-3.0, just looking for actuals.

Motor: 3536 Rimfire 1200 w/ 10x7 prop. 2 1/2 Dubro Spinner, 3s 2200mah (to start with) battery.
Weight: The plane ready to fly w/o battery weighs 803 grams. Right now, I've got the cg at 2.25 in, w/ the battery all the way forward.

View attachment 175441 View attachment 175442

That is a BEAUTIFUL BUILD @Marty72 ! Outstanding paint job!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

Looks great! Nice idea on the hatch, definitely interested to see how it works out. Any plans on how you will launch it

Off The Mark

Stupid Question...

Exactly how is one supposed to mount the battery in a Master Series Spitfire? Are there any battery tie-down straps available???

I ask because I just bought one of these used (pre-assembled) from someone who was given the plane from another pilot at his flying field. The guy who sold it to me only flew it once.

As far as I can tell. there is just a single strip of velcro attached to the TOP inside of the fuselage. If I turn the plane over and open the (infernal) hatch, then the velcro is on on the inside on the side closest to the ground. Once I turn the plane right side up, the velcro is on the inside on the side closest to the top of the plane.

Then there is an opposing strip of velcro stuck on to the battery.

Is that how it is supposed to stay on there? It sure doens't seem like it would be very secure. And the way I fly, I am sure the battery will come lose from the velcro in about 8 seconds.

(And I watched through the build video and they didn't really touch on battery mounting in the video.)

Thanks in advance for any suggesitons.

Last edited:

Off The Mark

Is that an Ozzy???

Off The Mark

And one more question for you all...

Has anyone split the ailerons and used flaperons on the Spitfire Master Series? It seems like they might be good to help with landing.

Marty72

Elite member
Is that an Ozzy???

Not sure what you are asking about but if it's the dog, she's an Australian Cattle dog. The term Aussie is used for Australian Shepherds (which aren't even Australian).

As far as the Velcro to hold the battery, yep that is the design. It's fb, go wild, add whatever you think you need to secure the battery. After I'm satisfied with the battery position, I typically add fb and wedge the battery in somewhere so it can't move or come out.

shadeyB

Legendary member
MAIDEN VIDEO OF THE MASTER SERIES SPITFIRE! A bit disappointing (in more than one way), I had to bring it home from repairs after the maiden, but have a look. I'll comment later on the take away and future plans for the plane.

Thought it flew great , love the MS spit
It’s very easy to come in hot on landing lol
Little bit flare at the end is required , easier said

Off The Mark

Not sure what you are asking about but if it's the dog, she's an Australian Cattle dog. The term Aussie is used for Australian Shepherds (which aren't even Australian).

As far as the Velcro to hold the battery, yep that is the design. It's fb, go wild, add whatever you think you need to secure the battery. After I'm satisfied with the battery position, I typically add fb and wedge the battery in somewhere so it can't move or come out.

Thanks so much for the reply. And just to confirm, the battery should go on the TOP inside of the fuselage? (Or should it go on the bottom?)

I think I would probably use one of those battery trays with spikes on the bottom and a velcro strap. Would that be a bad idea?

Sorry to see the damage from your latest video. Got me thinking that maybe I should invest in some clear servo protectors (the ones that look like half a bubble) before I maiden mine as my nickname around these parts is "Hot Landing."

And great looking Cattle Dog. When I was a kid, we had a cattle dog and everybody who seemed to know more about dogs than us referred to the dog as either an Ozzy (with a Z not an S, or as a "Blue". But I grew up in California, and we do things a bit differently here :) It looks like there are just a lot of people who have NAMED their Australian Cattle Dogs "Ozzy" or "Ozzie" so maybe that is where the confusionment comes from...

Marty72

Elite member
Thought it flew great , love the MS spit
It’s very easy to come in hot on landing lol
Little bit flare at the end is required , easier said

Thanks! That's the first time I've been nervous about a maiden in quite some time (which is awesome). The hand launch got the adrenaline going, I was expecting chaos and there was none.
Yeah, well coming in hot wasn't a complete accident, I didn't want to stall it on that hard ground, so I errored on the hot side. I find coming in hot and level does a whole lot less damage than too slow and dropping.

Marty72

Elite member
Thanks so much for the reply. And just to confirm, the battery should go on the TOP inside of the fuselage? (Or should it go on the bottom?)

It was designed to be on top (velcro fighting gravity), which can be an issue.

I think I would probably use one of those battery trays with spikes on the bottom and a velcro strap. Would that be a bad idea?

I'm not familiar with that type of tray but whatever works. You can do all sorts of things with foam.

Sorry to see the damage from your latest video. Got me thinking that maybe I should invest in some clear servo protectors (the ones that look like half a bubble) before I maiden mine as my nickname around these parts is "Hot Landing."

Minor damage, more of an inconvenience as I wanted to fly the plane more and figure it out. I just had to come home and hot glue.

And great looking Cattle Dog. When I was a kid, we had a cattle dog and everybody who seemed to know more about dogs than us referred to the dog as either an Ozzy (with a Z not an S, or as a "Blue". But I grew up in California, and we do things a bit differently here :) It looks like there are just a lot of people who have NAMED their Australian Cattle Dogs "Ozzy" or "Ozzie" so maybe that is where the confusionment comes from...

Thanks, she's a cool dog, good at everything except doing nothing. They also call them Blue Heelers. I can see naming them Ozzy, they are the only true Australian breed and they are tough.