*Unofficial* FT Super Bee

Paracodespoder

Elite member
This plane is amazing fpv, I am running 2205’s 2300kv with 5x4.5x3 on 3s. Crashed mine into a tree earlier, no damage but a broken prop and a crinkled wing tip, and it was not a slow and soft crash, this think is a solid plane. I was flying sort of towards the tree, and figured I should probably pull up, barely nicked the tree and it spun out and smashed into the ground.

eeck62

i finally got a picture of mine, still need to add detail with a black Sharpie. It is a great plane. Parts:
1. I had two Grayson Hobbies Microjet V3s around
2. APC 6x4 props
3. Emax 30 amp ESCs
4. 3s 1300mahs batteries.
5. FPV: Runcam Split 2 Mini, TBS Unify Pro Race, and Luminier AXII Stubby.

I also have a couple 4s 1300s and some APC 5.5 x 4.5 props I have yet to try, which should make it really go. It is very maneuverable with the differential thrust and the twin motors, especially when flying down low. It will go slow or super fast and loop in a body length. It does remind me a bit of a quad. Note, it can get out of visible range pretty fast when flying line of sight...

I want to try setting it up with twin 1806 motors. It would be plenty fast and retain the amazing handling characteristics, but have longer flight times.

Since the photo I took the spinners off and the motors run much smoother. Definitely one of my favorites, especially FPV !

FT Superbee.JPG

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
So I was checking wingspans, and this one comes in at 25". With the detachable wing, it appears that it will fit into a large suitcase. 🤙

I'm not exactly sure why I rejected this thing in the past, but as a dedicated twin guy I intend to build one and see how she goes. It could be the perfect solution if I have to travel by air to another Flite Fest 😎

Paracodespoder

Elite member
So I was checking wingspans, and this one comes in at 25". With the detachable wing, it appears that it will fit into a large suitcase. 🤙

I'm not exactly sure why I rejected this thing in the past, but as a dedicated twin guy I intend to build one and see how she goes. It could be the perfect solution if I have to travel by air to another Flite Fest 😎
Build one, this has become my new, and absolute favorite plane, especially fpv. It is fast and manoverable and very compact. It also fights the wind really well with its weight.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
been a little slower than i thought. painted the wing and 3D printed firewalls last night. i assembled pods today. still need to glue it all together and wire the electronics. think i will also try to design and 3D print a camera mount to bring the camera down more into the center line of the plane. we will see how much motivation i have once finished.

can't decided on what prop color to run. what you think? orange or green?

20190210_154926.jpg

can't wait to fly it! :p

me :cool:

Paracodespoder

Elite member
With that color plane? Orange looks to be a good color.
Gave my bee another flight today (got three in yesterday :D), by the end of the flight I was flying in rain. Apparently I was pushing my 20c 3s 1300mah Lipo a little to hard and puffed it ever so slightly, barely enough to notice. I need to get some higher c-rating batteries so I can do more high speed fun, also need to get a 4s for it, its not quite fast enough on 3s ;).
I am already looking to rebuild it with a NN style speed wing (no under-camber), and a poster-board fuselage cover for better aerodynamics, and 4s, definitely needs a 4s.

eeck62

It is fast on 4s, I run out of field quickly! It is also very maneuverable which makes it incredibly fun. I have the next couple days of so hoping to run some more packs through it.

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Accessing the electronics on the FT Super Bee requires that you put it upside down. This will make it rest on the props and the vertical stabilizer, which I always found quite uncomfortable.

SB_upside_down_1_kl.jpg

Therefore I designed a Simple Stand for the FT Super Bee, which is made out of foam board. It required less than 1 sheet of foam board, a little bit of hot glue and not more than 20 minutes of your time.

Stand_01_kl.jpg
SB_on_Stand_kl.JPG
SB_on_Stand_upside_down_kl.JPG

If you’re interested in building this stand for your Super Bee, please check my Build Video. The link to the free plans is in the description of the video.

eeck62

I broke out the Super Bee again and fixed it up. I crashed it probably a year ago. I took the big motors off and put on the FT 1806 2300kv Radials. I always loved how the Super Bee flew, but with the big motors I destroyed two battery packs the landings were a little hot. I’m looking forward to getting it out for some proximity FPV.

fazerpileit

Apparently my Super Bee is part gymnast. It did a beautiful cartwheel run on a failed LOW pass. It was a bit too close to sunset to be flyin anyway. Some crush damage to the wing tips and ripped out the power pod and bent a prop. Not bad for full throttle oops.

Attachments

• SuperBee 2.jpg
    SuperBee 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • SuperBee 1.jpg
    SuperBee 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Super bee 2.0 has finally been finished! V1.0 went for a swim 😏, all electronics functioned perfectly after being completely submerged then dried out, so I threw them into a new one. This one is modified, with a NN style speed-wing and a fully covered fuselage and motor pods for better aerodynamics. Maiden flight went without a hitch in mild winds, it didn’t even seem to notice the wind. Hoping for a calmish day tomorrow to get this thing painted, going with the classic super bee yellow and black with hornet decals on the wing and tail.