Staff member
Admin
Mentor
FT Twin Sparrow
Designed By: Josh Bixler
Release Date: 2018.05.25
FT Twin Sparrow 400x200.png

Description:
The FT Twin Sparrow is a new twist on an FT Classic! From chuck glider to Full FPV platform with differential thrust, this little bird will not disappoint. The Sparrow was designed to create an enjoyable and fast build experience while also teaching you all the needed skills to build any of our FliteTest designs. On a 2 cell battery, the FT Twin Sparrow is a fantastic trainer that can teach all the needed to have success in flight. When you install a 3 or 4 cell, you have a fast and nimble flyer that will carve up the skies!

Our hope is that the FT Twin Sparrow will be a staple in every hangar or in the back of every car. We can't wait to see what our amazing community does with this little bird.

Plans: Free Build Plans

Release Video:

Build Video:

Store Links:
Speed Build Kit

Last edited:

UCChris

MO Flight Crew
This might not be the right place to ask this, but I had a quick question about a twin Sparrow. If you want to use diff thrust, do you put each motor on individual channels and program the radio to do diff thrust? Or do you have to use a flight controller board?

kdobson83

This might not be the right place to ask this, but I had a quick question about a twin Sparrow. If you want to use diff thrust, do you put each motor on individual channels and program the radio to do diff thrust? Or do you have to use a flight controller board?
Put each esc on different channels and then program with remote will work fine. Don't know about the control board stuff tho.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Power Pack H Sparrow!!!! I’ll have to build one of these when I kill my FT Dart 😜

UCChris. Either will work. Radio or an FC. Check out starting at 1:35:00 in the Dart video for an idea how to setup on a spektrum radio

myxiplx

Hey folks, would it be possible to scale this up to use the same 3S 850mAh packs I fly in my FT Mini Mustang? I've got heli's, quads, and planes that fly off those 850mAh packs, so if I could build one of these to share the same packs that would be sweet! :)

Morgan

Hey folks, would it be possible to scale this up to use the same 3S 850mAh packs I fly in my FT Mini Mustang? I've got heli's, quads, and planes that fly off those 850mAh packs, so if I could build one of these to share the same packs that would be sweet! :)
An 850 3s should be fine if you want a faster flyer. It is the max recommended battery .

Tsenkbeil

Has anyone had any success scratch building a Twin Sparrow? Curious as to how to get the motors mounted without having to cut it all out of wood?

Yawnsky24

Has anyone had any success scratch building a Twin Sparrow? Curious as to how to get the motors mounted without having to cut it all out of wood?
Tsenkbeil,

I scratch built the Dart, the Twin Sparrow and a Foamy glider all using scratch built power pods. Kind of inside out power pods and they work fine. See post 31 in the FT Dart thread for pictures. I did not make any plans just kind of eye balled from the original plans.

Hope this helps.

Jan

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
emax 1106-6000kv

it flew today, on my 3rd attempt that is. something about having the v-tail reversed or something along those lines...:sneaky:

anyways, not sure if my batteries are just crap or i was pulling to much current because each time i got it in the air it was fine for about 30 secs, then just quickly faded. both batteries did the same thing so not sure. i will rig up an adapter so i can put it on the watt meter and check.

other than that, it flew really well.

laters,

me :cool:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok,

so i am pulling 17 amps and 190 watts off a 3S. which is maybe a little high on watts but amps shouldn't be an issue. regrettably i cannot find any info on max watts anywhere. i don't think 190 should be too high but...

anyways, i decided to go to a larger 3" 3-blade prop and run it on 2S instead. we will try this and see how it does. if i get bored with it i may try and go 3S again but for what it is, i think this will be just fine.

laters,

me :cool:

feliponcho

@mrjdstewart, how did your experiment go? I'd just put together the twin sparrow and just by doing the basic set up I already depleted one 3S 450mAh battery. if your experiment went well I may order the same kind of props and battery as well. Thanks! I'm using the Emax 1106 4500kv Motors.

feliponcho

feliponcho

beginner's question: I still cannot find how to trim only one of the elevons for this model in the DX6 transmitter. Could someone please point me to some link? When I do manual trimming both elevons trim. thanks a lot.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
beginner's question: I still cannot find how to trim only one of the elevons for this model in the DX6 transmitter. Could someone please point me to some link? When I do manual trimming both elevons trim. thanks a lot.
Subtrim should do it, you can trim each channel individually.