*Unofficial* FT X-29

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
This thread got interesting quickly. I love the story of the X29, the airplane is equally interesting to the pilot part of me and the engineering student part of me. The FT X29 was such an ambitious project, and the result is great, it even looks like the real thing. When the plans or speed build kit come out for this, I think I have my first EDF plane picked out.

jpot1

Elite member
I know the plans say 4S but how bad off am I going to be with a c pack motor and 3S 2200?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Had a rough landing (or something) on my second day out, which busted the EDF mount internally, so I had to perform some surgery.

What's NOT pictured is the 70mm DrMadThrust alloy EDF that I put in to replace the busted fan. ;)

Surgery:
21985706_10154646059706082_627712879_o.jpg

Motor inspection:
busted fan.jpg

All patched up again:
patched up.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Cool! Looks good too. I printed out some plans...

Any feedback on the plans would be welcome. I haven't had a chance to go through the build video or build one myself yet. If there are any little details in the plans that need to be addressed, please let me know. Thanks.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
There is a 64mm and 70mm edf from Grayson hobbies, FT recommended that for the viggen. I would give you a link if I could but the site is blocked on my school laptop.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
MotionRC doesn't have my preferred 12-blade 70mm 4S in stock yet, but they still have several 70mm and 64mm options that will work, both in 4S and 6S: https://www.motionrc.com/collections/edf-power-systems

If you want something in stock, and one that I've used for over a year with great success (and don't mind Banggood), I like this FMS 70mm 4S EDF: https://www.banggood.com/FMS-70mm-1...5-KV2750-Motor-For-RC-Airplane-p-1023640.html

The FMS 12-blade 70mm EDF is a solid unit, sounds good, and performs well - That's the one I maidened my X-29 on. As soon as MRC gets their comparable system in stock I'll test it and report back.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I'd absolutely love to get into edfs, but I simply don't have the budget right now. But I am getting a job soon though, and would like to. What would be a better edf, the X-29 or the viggen? I love the design of both and I have plenty of building skills so assembly shouldn't be an issue. I was just wondering which one is better overall.

P.S. Ben, if the plans for the F-4 phantom from FFE are out I might just have to build one of those as well. It was also great meeting you there!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Any feedback on the plans would be welcome. I haven't had a chance to go through the build video or build one myself yet. If there are any little details in the plans that need to be addressed, please let me know. Thanks.

I didn't notice any issues in the plans. But I only built one as a test while waiting on an EDF to get here. I did make a few mistakes in my CAM setting it up for cutting but those were my mistakes not the plans. (Silly things, like I did a few through cuts that should have been score cuts and some score cuts that should have been through cuts.)

Since I made a few mistakes, and didn't have an EDF, and my daughter took a liking to the X-29 we made it into a chuck glider:
20170924_182552.jpg

It actually made a much better glider than I expected :D It's a little big for her...but I was able to get better glides out of it than we get out of our sparrows!

One VERY minor quibble is that it was kind of hard to tell the score cuts from the crease cuts - but only because I loose colors when I open the file in my CAM software and the two styles of dashing were hard to tell apart.

However - I do wonder if there might be an issue in the build video. Following along with the video I ran into an issue with the wing. I wound up beveling the two wing pieces on the wrong side. I cut a second X-29 for a friend (after fixing my minor CAM issues) and warned him about my mixup on the wing. A few hours later he messaged me saying he did the same thing despite my warning.

I just got my EDF today so I'll be cutting a third and starting assembly on it this week - will pay closer attention to the video this time to see if I mixed up or if something about the video led me to making the mistake. Just seems odd that two of us would make the same mistake - one after being warned :D

JGplanes

jhitesma - that's a great idea. I'm going to print some 35% scale plans, and make them into profile chuck gliders. All my kids will want them after I get mine built. Pretty cool!

richb2599

64mm vs 70mm edf?

I'm planning to build this X29 with the edf power system but I'm still deciding on what edf to use. The 64mm would cost a little less (not a major factor) and might produce a little longer flight time but what about overall performance? I don't need 100+ mph, but speed is a factor. So, other than Jetman, have any of you guys built this X29? What power system? Any other mods, etc?

JGplanes

I didn’t have time to build the FT X-29 yet (and waiting on EDF), but my local hobby shop had a 1/144 scale Dragon kit that caught my attention. It was marked down to $5, and I couldn’t pass it up. I’m beginning to enjoy these tiny kits, because I can put them together in a very short amount of time, and don’t take up a lot of space . This one took me about four or five hours total.

When I do build my FT X-29 I want to paint it in a fictional USAF ghost gray scheme, so I decided this would be a great test to see what it would look like. I’m quite pleased with the results, and didn’t expect it to turn out so well. Thought you guys might like to see it.

JG

Click here for the full gallery

4A48C0A0-8B9A-4C44-9E24-7EC87FB8B329.jpeg

Maxstudio

I didn’t have time to build the FT X-29 yet (and waiting on EDF), but my local hobby shop had a 1/144 scale Dragon kit that caught my attention. It was marked down to $5, and I couldn’t pass it up. I’m beginning to enjoy these tiny kits, because I can put them together in a very short amount of time, and don’t take up a lot of space . This one took me about four or five hours total.

When I do build my FT X-29 I want to paint it in a fictional USAF ghost gray scheme, so I decided this would be a great test to see what it would look like. I’m quite pleased with the results, and didn’t expect it to turn out so well. Thought you guys might like to see it.

JG

Click here for the full gallery

View attachment 96248

Awesome Job! Makes me want to get back into micro scale modeling! :)

Edwardchew

My video is up! Such a great plane! Track straight and can be flown really slow!

I have a question, whenever i throttle up, it climbs/gain altitude, same thing with my Viggen.

The reflex I have followed the printed gauge.

Too much positive angle of the cannards?

X-29

Pitch up on throttle up

My video is up! Such a great plane! Track straight and can be flown really slow!

I have a question, whenever i throttle up, it climbs/gain altitude, same thing with my Viggen.

The reflex I have followed the printed gauge.

Too much positive angle of the cannards?

An EDF can have a pitching moment due to thrust increase similar to prop planes. With a prop we tilt the thrust bulkhead or put washers between the motor and the bulkhead to change the thrust angle. We can’t do that with EDF’s but there is a fix. Install a horizontal flap or vane in the exhaust and adjust is trailing edge down which will create a nose down pitching moment. Start out with a small amount of trailing edge down and gradually increase the trailing edge down deflection until the power up pitch up goes away.

The x-29’s low speed / high angle of attack flight characteristics are part of the design requirement for the airplane. You can’t tip stall the wing so you can try some crazy stuff and she won’t bite you.