*Unofficial* FT X-29

Edwardchew

Wow i thought thrust angle issue would be exception to EDF.
I have applied enough down trim to make it fly level now. Just not happi with the speed vs my Viggen, same electronics, now with even brand new lipo

Haha ya today during launch, threw it too high angle and it just stays at almost like 90 degrees up until i bring it down :cool:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
FYI: I didn't play with the thrust angle at all, but when I trimmed mine for level flight I found that I didn't need ANY of the recommended reflex in the plans.

If you're having issues with pitch-up with thrust, you might need to check your CG. I fly usually with the CG forward of what it shows in the plans.

With the same hardware as the Viggen, it's definitely going to be slower; it's a bigger and heavier airframe. That said, it is still a very speed-capable jet, with not-too-crazy hardware. I was able to get over 100mph with an FMS 70mm 12-blade EDF on 4S.

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
With the same hardware as the Viggen, it's definitely going to be slower; it's a bigger and heavier airframe. That said, it is still a very speed-capable jet, with not-too-crazy hardware. I was able to get over 100mph with an FMS 70mm 12-blade EDF on 4S.

That's encouraging, I'm using that EDF to power my project, which is closer in size to the X-29 than the Viggen.

Edwardchew

Yea after trimmed it looks like it didnt need reflex.

What the KV of your motor? battery size and battery mount location?

JGplanes

LOL! no no!, but you're more then welcome to stop over i'll share all my tips and tricks! nothing i have ever done can't be done by anyone who has the desire to! and the resources (me)...lol

Where do we stop over?

On another note, has anyone thought of putting landing gear on their X-29? Any recommendations? I’ve never done retracts before, But I wouldn’t mind the challenge.

JG

Chuppster

What's the biggest battery people have run in this? I have a 6s EDF and I'm looking into doing 2x 220g 3000mah 3s batteries. Will it still fly?

Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
What's the biggest battery people have run in this? I have a 6s EDF and I'm looking into doing 2x 220g 3000mah 3s batteries. Will it still fly?

I flew mine on a 6000mAh 4S Graphene, but Graphenes are a bit porky so it was sluggish, but it still flew great. I routinely flew it on 2 x 2650mAh 4S packs in parallel, and that was a great setup.

JDill

X-29 or A-4?

Sadly, I've only got one extra EDF and so I must limit my choice for my winter project. Whichever I build, when it bites the dust I'll build the other.

What say you Mid7night (Ben)? You designed one and have built and flown both. My only EDF so far is the Viggen.

Appreciate opinions...

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Sadly, I've only got one extra EDF and so I must limit my choice for my winter project. Whichever I build, when it bites the dust I'll build the other.

What say you Mid7night (Ben)? You designed one and have built and flown both. My only EDF so far is the Viggen.

Appreciate opinions...

I think the A-4 is an easier build - less fiddly pieces, and less foam overall I believe.

The X-29 has an actual build video (a very well done one, in fact), so that helps to offset the added complexity of the build. But several people have built my A-4 and posted their questions and answers in the build thread, so there's a lot of resources to pull from.

The X-29 has better low-speed handling, thanks to the forward swept wings and the design/iteration work that Andres did - he nailed it. So it you're ultimately planning on building both, I actually might suggest starting with the X-29, because it will give you a more "familiar" build experience (with the kit, if you get it, and definitely with the video), and it will be more forgiving to get in the air as a hand-launch EDF.

Then when you're bored with that one, build the A-4 and stretch your 'scratch build' legs a little (since there's no kit or video...yet), and by then you should also be more comfortable with flying an EDF that requires you to "fly the wing" and not the motor.

With both of these, you can't just throttle out of any problem ... you have to manage your energy.

Please share both builds when you get around to them, and good luck!

JDill

Please share both builds when you get around to them, and good luck!

Will do! Thanks for the great, detailed advice. The X-29 has a unique look but your A-4 has that sleek jet look. I may start then with the X-29, but I'm excited about your A-4. Great work!

Chuppster

Will do! Thanks for the great, detailed advice. The X-29 has a unique look but your A-4 has that sleek jet look. I may start then with the X-29, but I'm excited about your A-4. Great work!

I just finished the X-29 so I've built both. I will say that the X-29 stretched my skills and patience more than any FB airplane I've built to date. The A-4 isn't a Simple Cub, but it is much easier to build than the X-29.

JDill

I just finished the X-29 so I've built both. I will say that the X-29 stretched my skills and patience more than any FB airplane I've built to date. The A-4 isn't a Simple Cub, but it is much easier to build than the X-29.

Thanks for your comment, it gives me more ammo in making my decision. I'd say the most ambitious FT build I've done was the Sea Duck. A fair amount of work with it being a big twin engine.

Chuppster

Thanks for your comment, it gives me more ammo in making my decision. I'd say the most ambitious FT build I've done was the Sea Duck. A fair amount of work with it being a big twin engine.

It's funny, I just finished my X-29 and I am in the process of cutting out my own Sea Duck!

Edwardchew

For those scratch building with foamboard that has no paper backing. You can try this 3d printed leading edge. Just cut the foam leading edge straight and glue this on. Perhaps help with rigidity too
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2777857

FT X29 leading edge rod.jpg

Cheers

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
SO EXCITED

Since this hit the scene it was on my list! Plans have been printed and ready since.

But this Rockyboy guy put together this incredible Challenge for an non-combat proven WWII plane design & build. which uh, sucked me in. a bit (see the three colored links at the bottom of my Signature.)

Snd then I saw this GREAT Bloody WWII Baby build thread where they were mini-sizing plane in the simplified plank stile build. This typically yields a 1 sheet wonder.. and I couldn't help myself there either. (Bloody Vampire, and Bloody Black Widow)

But I thought we all have a build list. February is a great month to get building. So I started the Build-Ruary Challenge thread where those adventurous souls try and build 4 planes on their build list in the four weeks of February.

The X-29 is at the TOP of that list
Here is a summary of the progress to the maiden-ready plane.

03-CutWings.JPG 07-FuseBase.JPG 10-FuselageMostlyThere.JPG 11-WingsDone.JPG 16-ReadyforColor.JPG 17-Now in Technicolor.JPG 19-ReverseSideView.JPG
For the full build details visit here

Question is, is this plane beyond my piloting skill?

If you have a dropped project to finish: joint he FTFMM March Madness Challenge
and get it done in time for flying season in the northern hemisphere.