SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
FT Mini SE5 Biplane
FT Mini SE5 Forum.png

Description:
After 6 years of Flite Test foamies, an epic WW1 battle is at the edge of your fingerprints! The FT SE5 Biplane was designed to build fast, fly slow and look great both on the ground and in the air. We put a lot of effort into taking a design that is known for being a handful and making easy to both build and fly. The FT SE5 Biplane is a 3 channel slow fly aircraft that can turn on a dime and be flown in a very small location. Loops, barrel rolls, wing overs and many other classic maneuvers are all possible with this little warbird. The FT SE5 Biplane is also a perfect companion for its arch rival the FT DR1, an iconic German Triplane that flew the skies and shared lead with its British nemesis. Our hope is that the SE5 will be the source of many happy memories as you take to the skies and recreate epic battles with your friends in your own backyard.

We want you to have an amazing experience both in building and flying, This kit comes with everything you need to complete the FT DR1. Push-rods, control horns, firewalls and all other items needed to make this airframe electronics ready are included in the kit. If you choose to purchase our power pack F and wheels, balance, flight performance and assembly will be quick and easy.

Release Date: 11/21/2016

Article: FT SE5 Biplane Build

Release Video:

Build Video:

Plans v1.1 (Updated 2017.06.21): All-In-One | Full-Size | Tiled

Printing Instructions

Decal Plans (Skins): Billy Bishop SE5 V2 - by Rasterize

Specs:
Weight Without Battery: 8.8 oz (250 g)
Center Of Gravity: Directly on the fold of the top wing
Control Surface Throws: 12 degree deflection (elevons) expo 30%
Wingspan: 24 inches (609 mm)
Recommended Motor: 2300 kv 2204 size motor
Recommended Prop: 6 x 4.5 prop
Recommended ESC: 12 amp minimum
Recommended Battery: 800 mAH 3s
Recommended Servos: (2) 5 gram servos

Speed Build Kit: https://store.flitetest.com/ft-mighty-mini-se5-biplane/

Power Pack F: https://store.flitetest.com/power-pack-f/

Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Ive been anticipating this one and I cant wait for the build video and rasterize's skins that they mentioned in the vid, and do you happen to know if one or both the build vids will be up this Wednesday 11/23/16? :confused:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ive been anticipating this one and I cant wait for the build video and rasterize's skins that they mentioned in the vid, and do you happen to know if one or both the build vids will be up this Wednesday 11/23/16? :confused:

One could always hope FT posts on time . . . I expect they're eager to get out to Thanksgiving festivities as the rest of us, so odds are good.

The airframes are similar enough that they could probably share a build video -- Most of the construction is common with only a few minutes needed to touch on the on the specifics for each plane.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
All ready to go for testing. The wire gear is just temporary. It'l be replaced with floats and the plane will be painted.

I'm going to go with the American scheme of the SE5E.

earthsciteach

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mine! Flies wonderfully. I made landing gear out of balsa and fabricated wheels from DTFB laminated with veneer. Everyone needs one of these little planes!

JDill

Planning to build one of these for indoor flying this winter. Would like to try "skinning" a plane for the first time though, so hoping to see a skin design that I might be able to download first.

jpot1

Elite member
If this was scaled up 20%, wings would still fit on one sheet. Do you think it could then handle 9g servos, a 1300mah battery and a Turnigy d2836/6 1100kv motor?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
If this was scaled up 20%, wings would still fit on one sheet. Do you think it could then handle 9g servos, a 1300mah battery and a Turnigy d2836/6 1100kv motor?

It should though that's a big motor. Be prepared for a faster heavier plane. I'd scale it up the max possible. You still have some wiggle room at 20% and can go up to 24% to get 29.75" wings. You might also consider underpropping it a bit.

Got 2 more 9g servos? Ailerons could be fun.

jpot1

Elite member
Was thinking about ailerons as well. I have a smaller motor as well but higher kv. Just wasn't sure if the wings could be scaled as is. Will give it a try and see.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Would like to try "skinning" a plane for the first time though, so hoping to see a skin design that I might be able to download first.

In progress. Shouldn't be long.

SE5 LR1.jpg SE5 LR2.jpg

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Add the Exhaust pipe kit and the windshield. Amazing what you can do with a little paper. :)
Ex1.jpg Ex2.jpg Ex3.jpg Ex4.jpg Ex5.jpg

Dukejet

Wow!!!!!! Incredible!! Well done Rasterize.

Can someone please tell me how to scale up the plans to a 1meter w/s

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Wow!!!!!! Incredible!! Well done Rasterize.

Can someone please tell me how to scale up the plans to a 1meter w/s

Best way would be to trace the plans in a CAD program or similar so that you can adjust the width's and slots to match the foam board after you increase the size. 1 meter will be very large. I'd think about adding airfoiled wings.

All ready to go with floats. Took the set from my Sopwith Baby and resized them for the SE5 and triplane.

Now I'm ready for grass, snow, and water!

I'll get the plans for the floats cleaned up then post them in case anyone else is interested.