Unrealistic flight behaviour ( in accordance with full scale planes )

.WARHAWK.

I have build several ft warbird like planes. They fly great , but differently from their real life counterparts. For example , when I fly downwind and turn the plane to face the wind , the turn is instantaneous with very small radious.
Why does this happen , How can I make a rc plane fly realisticaly ( well except from tipstalls )

Thanks in advance

Figure9

Elite member
I have build several ft warbird like planes. They fly great , but differently from their real life counterparts. For example , when I fly downwind and turn the plane to face the wind , the turn is instantaneous with very small radious.
Why does this happen , How can I make a rc plane fly realisticaly ( well except from tipstalls )

Thanks in advance

Not really enough experience for me to say but I will pontificate on it a bit.
Full scales don’t fly Bank & Yank like a lot of guys fly RC. Rudder coordination is a big part of full scale flying & in many cases it’s absent in RC flying. RC wing loading is so light that the RC airplanes can do many things full scales only dream about. Often time the RC flight controls are way big in ratio comparison to the aircraft & wing loading of a full scale & have a greater percentage of throw.
That means to me that the guys (Not me) that fly realistic scale are quite good at it, same as the guys that do crazy 3D are good at that. To build a miniature, light weight airplane to scale is not the same as designing a miniature airplane that will mimic a full scale in flight characteristics, so flying skill is probably your answer.
Realistic flight characteristic is a goal of mine when I become talented enough for master builder skills & I also still need to gain more experience on how to fly RC without crashing all the time so I can then get enough experience to fly scale well.

basslord1124

Master member
Sounds like a throw setting. FT generally lays out a good starting point with the throws. And from there you can modify them to your liking. Something else you can look at is expo. This sets the sensitivity of the sticks to their control surfaces. FT usually has a recommended expo setting (usually 30%) and this can be modified to your preference as well. I generally set expo kinda high on new models as my hands get shaky and nervous on maidens and could have the potential of over controlling.

Liam B

Generally speaking, the larger the plane, the closer to scale it will fly, IF and only if done right. And as basslord1124 mentioned above, yes throws will help with it and 30% expo.

I've also seen that a heavier model flies closer to scale, but that could just be me : )

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

Thanks in advance
The problem is simply a fact of nature and physics. When we build a scale model we are unable to scale the air. When you are flying in a 10 knot wind the scale model will behave like it is flying in a hurricane!

The best way to get your model to fly realistically is to fly in still air and build the model a lot bigger and heavier.

Have fun!

jfaleo1

God I hope this does not sound preachy, I am just trying to help with the question a bit.

You want it to fly more scale like cut the power back, increase the wing loading (a lot) and cut your throws down. not all planes NEED coordinated turns but expo and differential throws on ailerons (more up than down) help.

I have said before this tendency for everyone to get 1:1 or more power to weight ratios is unrealistic unless you are dealing with a modern military fighter. The Citation X+ has about 14000 lbs of thrust and gross takeoff weight is about 36000 lbs 13000 lbs of that is just fuel. to get off the ground it uses 2000-5000 feet of runway, has leading edge slats and fowler flaps. It is the fastest business jet in the world with a .39:1 power to weight ratio.

So without upping weight and all the bad that goes with it, the answer is practice flying scale the best you can.

hope some of that helps a bit.

Figure9

Elite member
God I hope this does not sound preachy, I am just trying to help with the question a bit.

You want it to fly more scale like cut the power back, increase the wing loading (a lot) and cut your throws down. not all planes NEED coordinated turns but expo and differential throws on ailerons (more up than down) help.

I have said before this tendency for everyone to get 1:1 or more power to weight ratios is unrealistic unless you are dealing with a modern military fighter. The Citation X+ has about 14000 lbs of thrust and gross takeoff weight is about 36000 lbs 13000 lbs of that is just fuel. to get off the ground it uses 2000-5000 feet of runway, has leading edge slats and fowler flaps. It is the fastest business jet in the world with a .39:1 power to weight ratio.

So without upping weight and all the bad that goes with it, the answer is practice flying scale the best you can.

hope some of that helps a bit.

Not preachy at all. Thanks for the tips on how to get that scale flight out of lightweight RC aircraft. That’s what’s great about the forum.