Unusual build, Bisnovat 5 rocketplane as EDF version. Done!

leaded50

Legendary member
i have a "passion" for unique things, also in avation, specially from the 30-50´s era. Last days ive worked much to get plans ready to make an very unique aircraft.
The Germans started in mid/late 40´s working with rocketplanes, and curious Russians who saw the development started do their own projects.
One of theese was the Bisnovat 5 , streamlined to max on that times ideas for a high-speed aircraft. No, it didnt succeed , more than 4-5 test examples in two versions..... but what a designidea ! :D
The fuselage is to narrow against the rear, but not as much as some German, and other rocketship prototypes (here, specially by width). I found by marginally changing the total width /rear , the aircraft made at a 1:12 scale, a 64mm EDF will fit perfect without disturb much the original lines, since original side profile still can be kept. Altering of the bellyshaped covering with the skid, i have a air intake!
The skid.... thats one of the unique things with this aircraft.. a single retractable skid, and side supportlegs at the wings + one small skid at rear. Wings, even the tailfin/elevator do have much resemblance to the Sabre/MIG´s.

Perfect at snowy days (as it is here in winter) and landing on grass. 825mm long, 547mm wingspan, no need for a thrusttube (fuselage is a correct tube) fits perfect as scale (1:12)

This for sure gonna be buildt asap the ordered foamboards are here!

Bisnovat5_j_promo.jpg

Last edited:

Figure9

Elite member
i have a "passion" for unique things, also in avation, specially from the 30-50´s era. Last days ive worked much to get plans ready to make an very unique aircraft.
The Germans started in mid/late 40´s working with rocketplanes, and curious Russians who saw the development started do their own projects.
One of theese was the Bisnovat 5 , streamlined to max on that times ideas for a high-speed aircraft. No, it didnt succeed , more than 4-5 test examples in two versions..... but what a designidea ! :D
The fuselage is to narrow against the rear, but not as much as some German, and other rocketship prototypes (here, specially by width). I found by marginally changing the total width /rear , the aircraft made at a 1:12 scale, a 64mm EDF will fit perfect without disturb much the original lines, since original side profile still can be kept. Altering of the bellyshaped covering with the skid, i have a air intake!
The skid.... thats one of the unique things with this aircraft.. a single retractable skid, and side supportlegs at the wings + one small skid at rear. Wings, even the tailfin/elevator do have much resemblance to the Sabre/MIG´s.

Perfect at snowy days (as it is here in winter) and landing on grass. 825mm long, 547mm wingspan, no need for a thrusttube (fuselage is a correct tube) fits perfect as scale (1:12)

This for sure gonna be buildt asap the ordered foamboards are here!

View attachment 162268

The inlet & exhaust nozzle are not apparent in the drawing. I’ll look for photos or other renderings of this aircraft. Interesting build.

Figure9

Elite member
The Bisnovat 5 had a small rocket nozzle, apparently a true rocket with no apparent intake seen on the photos I found of the real examples.
While looking I found some interesting photos of the Bisnovat SK designs that I’ve never seen before. These SK prop planes are what I have imagined a cool aircraft should look like ever since I started day dreaming about airplanes as a kid.

66D65C64-E2F4-475C-BA4D-6DF736BA6A8E.png 161B02E0-11EC-45C0-AC1A-FF718A18DB4D.png

leaded50

Legendary member
some of the Bisnovat aircrafts are interesting yes. eg. that SK plane :) just see that placement of cockpit....and check the wingdesign... a racer.
Spitfire on stereoids? :LOL:

leaded50

Legendary member
just for the "fun" of it, even "the West" made some crazy stuff... :LOL:

Attachments

• Airspeed AS.31_b.jpg
    Airspeed AS.31_b.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Airspeed AS.31.jpg
    Airspeed AS.31.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
coming along, pretty good. found how to do a air intake, with rework the bottom curved panel, to just sides, and opening between. Hatch (whole cokpit) is ready. seams are sanded.

DSC_0104.JPG

Last edited:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I like it so far. It's kind of like a Soviet X-1. Are you using some sort of filler material? Because that's what it looks like to me.

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
its a long spear at original too.. supposedly harder than a bbq skewer :LOL: ... at least here, it will disappear inward enough to not be stuck in someones foot.

leaded50

Legendary member
I like it so far. It's kind of like a Soviet X-1. Are you using some sort of filler material? Because that's what it looks like to me.
Yes, im using light filler, and auto sprayfiller .
You see the shaped part at belly (also on original drawing) ? thats room for a bit more back, the retractable ski, im making that a touch wider, with similar profile at sides, but open the fuselage between, more than the ski had. That will give me approx a bit more airintake, than of the EFD sq.inch values. Later pictures will show it.

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
Ill try show how i build it by pictures, and plan-parts if interesting. Some is scratchbuild "as go" though, as how fit best...

leaded50

Legendary member
done a bit more.... next section is ready.
DSC_0111.JPG

Someone wondered about what i will do with the air intake for the EDF, since his is a rocket plane orginally without intakes.... Here is the solution shown. Parts of "belly" have a underlaying spacing... this is cut out for air to EDF, and to fit the servoless retract + landing gear ski. Ski /retract fastner is even not as wide as opening, for air to pass when retracted.
DSC_0113.JPG

Top is ready with canopy and rear spacing as hatches, for battery/reciver, eg. Also to secure hold the wing spars, since its not gonna be a complete wingprofil through. Rear hatch lock the canopy in place.
DSC_0112.JPG
e all

leaded50

Legendary member
Last part of the base- fuselage done.
Reworked from original drawing to a bit slimmer profile, to fit perfect a 64mm EDF without need of extra thrust tube.... it could even taken a 70mm , and be correct if cutted last approx. 50mm + in lenght. ...
How its done? the fuselage it self have a oval shape til last 1/4 at rear, where it get fully round, Where the to parts are separated by color, it goes a tapered "heavy" cardboard in top to rear, to make the fully rounded shape inside. EDF goes in from front.. pushes back till sits, and a few glue points hold it in place. Reason was to get a minor space for servo wires from tailfin, and motor , looks better, than at outside.

DSC_0113 (1).JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
A tip.... to get a hatch keep best the profile, without need of fully profile-support inside.... i use 2 comp. epoxy glue. 1 thin layer, when the shape is hold till dry, keeps the shape, approx. or if adjusted correctly..

leaded50

Legendary member
Tailfins in place, retractable ski is done functional (still misssing rear stabilizer though) .. wings are under work.

DSC_0114.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
wings done too. To get a bit more wing area i did make them a couple inch both wider.. unsure if needed, but its easier to cut away, than to let too. I want it possible fly without only in hifgh speed.

DSC_0116.JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
Glidetest! with a 1800 3s battery in front, a proper weightsimualtion for the EDF unit, who still is in shipping..... it glided pretty stabile, straight, mid-similar feeling of how a modern jetfighter and a prop-plane feels.
Much adjustments and tests to get the rear fastners of the ski fit, to function with forward servoless retract movement, and let the ski get correct angle, and go to right place at retract. Its done, and function well!

Build is pretty much ready, just to install tailfin servos, the EDF, and set the ESC when they comes.

Bisnovat_readyc.png

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
i used a gray spray for coloring.. orginally its said it was a light "bluish" gray... in fact my gray have a faint bluish note...even if very faint. I dusted the top with darker gray.... funny is color changes much by what light its in, would belive its silver in the pics, it aint!.... . Can also easy be seen in this two pictures.

Attachments

• Bisnovat_readya.png
    Bisnovat_readya.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • Bisnovat_readyb.png
    Bisnovat_readyb.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited: