Unveiling My Third Project: The Double Main Swift Wing B-52

Chuppster

the dang EDF Price for this thing has me stalled, plus also a nasty cold too, weather in Western Kansas been weird, first 80s, then Fall 50s, then snowing, then back up to summer weather. I was just flying around on my simulator I downloaded for the laptop; well it calls it self a simulator, WarThunder, I came across this weird but huge French Plane, the Farman 222.22 and it has the cheap EDFs that Flite Test tried on the Warthog and succeeded, carries 52 bombs it did back both World War one and Two, no flaps, has a some what swift wing, but just a touch. If anyone has studied this plane, let me know, since they got the cheap EDF style to work in real life, might be something I can use to save a few bucks to get the monster off the ground.

Here is the wikipedia article on it, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farman_F.220 @Chuppster @DamoRC

Yeah, EDF's are pretty expensive.

CatholicFlyer

Yeah, EDF's are pretty expensive.

had to share about that French plane I learned about yesterday, because I've never seen a real life cheap EDFs work in real life, I mean it didn't work for Flite Test, but the French Military does it and works. I flew it a few times in the simulator on test flight and zoomed in when turning, all it is is a tube and two prop engines on each side as Flite Test showed on the Warthog. Well if anyone knows about these French planes and how their cheap EDFs work, let me know.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
had to share about that French plane I learned about yesterday, because I've never seen a real life cheap EDFs work in real life, I mean it didn't work for Flite Test, but the French Military does it and works. I flew it a few times in the simulator on test flight and zoomed in when turning, all it is is a tube and two prop engines on each side as Flite Test showed on the Warthog. Well if anyone knows about these French planes and how their cheap EDFs work, let me know.
I can't see any ducted propeller in the pictures of this war plane, just big cowls around a big radial engine.

CatholicFlyer

Attachments

• o3-4.jpg
    o3-4.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 21_6.jpg
    21_6.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 0

JTarmstr

Elite member
I fly EDFs and i will warn you they provide less power and respond slower than a electric prop plane, i would suggest learning on the Ft-Viggen or Grifflyer's grunjet.

d8veh

Elite member
I'm not sure whether you know about this already, and I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to achieve, but here's how I understand fore and aft ducted motors in tandem:

If you wanted to run fore and aft ducted motors, you'd have to do a lot of trials with the thrust and motor currents measured to get anywhere close to working. The rear motor has fast-flowing air coming at it, so if it would be the same as the front one (same battery, motor and prop), it wouldn't be able to produce any power. Imagine yourself trying to row a speed-boat. The motor on the back would need to run at something like double the speed of the front one and/or have double the number of blades on the prop. You need to do experiments with different blade pitches and sizes, try different kV motors, and try different tapers on the duct to find out what will actually work. That's unless you're lucky enough to find someone else that's already done similar tests to get something working.
Some info here;
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?336313-Two-Ducted-fans-in-one-duct-Questions