Unveiling My Third Project: The Double Main Swift Wing B-52

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Yes you can hot wire cut wings but whether you can use it for wings of this size, I'm not sure, I have never used the hot wire approach. I would assume they would still need significant reenforcement.

Search the forum for "Hot Wire" - there are a lot of threads that give some introduction as to what exactly you need etc.

DamoRC

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I would highly suggest you give Carl's article a view. I will give a lot of beginner tips.
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/hotwire-bow-parts-list-and-build-instructions

I taught a couple of seminars at FFOH 2016 on hotwire cutting as well as glassing. There are many many builds on these forums that I suggest you flex your search-fu for to get some ideas and inspiration and you will find that experimentation will go a looooong way to teach you before you cut your first parts.

CatholicFlyer

I would highly suggest you give Carl's article a view. I will give a lot of beginner tips.
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/hotwire-bow-parts-list-and-build-instructions

I taught a couple of seminars at FFOH 2016 on hotwire cutting as well as glassing. There are many many builds on these forums that I suggest you flex your search-fu for to get some ideas and inspiration and you will find that experimentation will go a looooong way to teach you before you cut your first parts.

Thank you for coming to my post and glad you shared the article. My dad and I will give it a read and great search.

CatholicFlyer

okay, at 95 inches or 7 feet and 11 inches, only 25 inches away for 10 feet goal length. Then I will need everyone's help as you keep giving it. @Chuppster knows why I build big, something my mom always said about me, "Andrew never starts small, but always huge." Boy, nearing 10 feet long fuselage is huge. since I'm mostly home bound, but that doesn't stop me from flying my Champ, but this is a monster compared to the little Champ. I need to remind my dad on getting a few scales, one a digital kitchen scale and then I think @DamoRC said for this plane, a bathroom scale. So I can see what wheels/retractable landing gears to put on this thing and will hold up to the weight.

@Mid7night my dad wants to know what kicks out the shute and where to get a good one? Also need to work on making a Rudder that is two pieces, opens up and holds the shute and then releases it, then once released, it comes back together without harming the paracord and steers the plane when landing.

The foam cutting of the wings will be done in steps as those who have done foam cutting says to do, figuring either having the front swift wing be either in two or three sections, then connect them to the plane and to each other when it is flight time or when to take photos to share. If we have enough sheets left, I wonder if you would recommend if the top part of the fuselage which closes up the bottom half that is open as I show in photos would be best in the thick foam installation and cut it out or use normal foam board from the Dollar Store?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
okay, at 95 inches or 7 feet and 11 inches, only 25 inches away for 10 feet goal length.

Man - you soon won't be able to get it out of the room! :)

my dad wants to know what kicks out the shute and where to get a good one? Also need to work on making a Rudder that is two pieces, opens up and holds the shute and then releases it, then once released, it comes back together without harming the paracord and steers the plane when landing.

Have you looked at some videos of the B-52 deploying a chute? I don't think it emerges from the rudder / vertical stabilizer. I think its just deployed from the very rear of the fuse. Check out some videos and see if you agree.

okay, at 95 inches or 7 feet and 11 inches, only 25 inches away for 10 feet goal length.

@Mid7night The foam cutting of the wings will be done in steps as those who have done foam cutting says to do, figuring either having the front swift wing be either in two or three sections, then connect them to the plane and to each other when it is flight time or when to take photos to share. If we have enough sheets left, I wonder if you would recommend if the top part of the fuselage which closes up the bottom half that is open as I show in photos would be best in the thick foam installation and cut it out or use normal foam board from the Dollar Store?

I would recommend using dollar tree foamboard for the rest of the fuse. Partly I say this because I think you need to plan out how much of the thicker foam you need for the wings. Then, if your plan says you will have some left over, I would use some of the thicker foam up front to practice the hot wire cutting. Based on what I have read, It is not neccesarily an easy thing to do and the bigger the part (even if you divide the wing into 3 sections these will be big pieces to hot wire) the harder it is.

DamoRC

CatholicFlyer

Man - you soon won't be able to get it out of the room! :)

Have you looked at some videos of the B-52 deploying a chute? I don't think it emerges from the rudder / vertical stabilizer. I think its just deployed from the very rear of the fuse. Check out some videos and see if you agree.

I would recommend using dollar tree foamboard for the rest of the fuse. Partly I say this because I think you need to plan out how much of the thicker foam you need for the wings. Then, if your plan says you will have some left over, I would use some of the thicker foam up front to practice the hot wire cutting. Based on what I have read, It is not neccesarily an easy thing to do and the bigger the part (even if you divide the wing into 3 sections these will be big pieces to hot wire) the harder it is.

DamoRC

no, I've only seen the shute open in photos, so I will go looking for some video on it. oh where the fuselage is being built is a sliding patio door, I guess if we need to, use that door to get the fuselage out, instead of narrow hallway to the back door. Okay, sounds good on the remainder of the fuse. we live on the original homestead and a place where u would go and wash was called the wash house, well now it does nothing except sit there and hold cat food, plus I think it is full of sheets of the foam for hot wire cutting. So since we got a whole building full of that stuff, why not use it my dad said when he found out. be awesome if Flite Fest could happen at the local airport and bring all the sheets out that we don't use and give it to the hot foam cutter folks so it doesn't go bad.

CatholicFlyer

you be right @DamoRC comes out in the very rear round sector below the Rudder

it also looks like first set of wheels are under the fuse where the first main wing is. Then back where the second main wing will go. Then also looks like a steerable rear wheel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-09-18 (1) B-52 Takeoff and Drogue Parachute (Drag Chute) Landings - YouTube.png
    Screenshot_2018-09-18 (1) B-52 Takeoff and Drogue Parachute (Drag Chute) Landings - YouTube.png
    827.4 KB · Views: 0

CatholicFlyer

boom, perfect image of where the drag shute comes out of.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-09-18 (1) B-52 Takeoff and Drogue Parachute (Drag Chute) Landings - YouTube(1).png
    Screenshot_2018-09-18 (1) B-52 Takeoff and Drogue Parachute (Drag Chute) Landings - YouTube(1).png
    916.6 KB · Views: 0

CatholicFlyer

so nothing opens up except a small hatch on the very rear of the fuselage, just below and at the rudder, if u watch the video I just shared, so hatch pops open by switch, shute is kicked out and then opens up. much more easier than I was first thinking.

CatholicFlyer

just got done watch Ben's video or @Mid7night video

I put the comment on it, geeze, got me thinking on the length of wires I'll be needing. so 10 feet fuselage with 12 feet main swift wing, then a second 6 foot swift wing which will have the elevators, while the front will have the huge alierons. When Ben checked for how hot the wires got, got me thinking, some sort of screened air allowance to help air cool the electronics, since the actual and original B-52 was not completely air tight, especially when they flown in the artic, the pilots felt the cold. So something to mimic this might help air cool the electronics on board.

CatholicFlyer

alright, took some time off to just study what has been built so far and let all the gorilla hot glue sticks dry properly, it is sturdy. Today I sat down at the table and picked it up; which was tough, had to watch out for some Christmas decorations still up and some chairs, found out that the CG is 36 inches from the front. Figuring the Front Landing Gear Position at 26 inches from the front, and the rear landing gears at 38 inches; 16 inches between the front and rear landing gears. Hope my description is clear enough. Reason for weird start on front is, it has to fit inside length wise rectangle area and rear one can fit normally. @Chuppster @DamoRC @Mid7night

Question on rear wheels, it is 2 inches behind CG, I was wondering if that would be fine and the rear end will sit on it fine, or should rear landing gears be further back, or how do you determine the rear gears on huge builds?

Attachments

• WIN_20181001_17_35_25_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20181001_17_35_25_Pro.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 0

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
alright, took some time off to just study what has been built so far and let all the gorilla hot glue sticks dry properly, it is sturdy. Today I sat down at the table and picked it up; which was tough, had to watch out for some Christmas decorations still up and some chairs, found out that the CG is 36 inches from the front. Figuring the Front Landing Gear Position at 26 inches from the front, and the rear landing gears at 38 inches; 16 inches between the front and rear landing gears. Hope my description is clear enough. Reason for weird start on front is, it has to fit inside length wise rectangle area and rear one can fit normally. @Chuppster @DamoRC @Mid7night

Question on rear wheels, it is 2 inches behind CG, I was wondering if that would be fine and the rear end will sit on it fine, or should rear landing gears be further back, or how do you determine the rear gears on huge builds?

I am not great at landing gear (almost never add them to my planes) but I am not sure what exactly you are asking - can you re-state or post a pic?

On the CG, have you run any of the online calculators to see where the CG should be for the plane to fly? This is one that I have used previously. At 36 inches looks like you are no too tail heavy but I presume you haven't added the tailfeathers yet?

DamoRC

CatholicFlyer

I am not great at landing gear (almost never add them to my planes) but I am not sure what exactly you are asking - can you re-state or post a pic?

On the CG, have you run any of the online calculators to see where the CG should be for the plane to fly? This is one that I have used previously. At 36 inches looks like you are no too tail heavy but I presume you haven't added the tailfeathers yet?

DamoRC

no tail feathers yet, it took all the remaining scraps of foam board to get it to 10 feet long fuselage. Front Landing Gear, has to do some turns and bends, so it can fit in the front area that is side ways, so it has to start out side ways, then bend straight and then lock into place straight down. I don't think I can belly launch it like the guy did with the Howard Hughe's goose plane. so it will either need wheels or something to launch off of.

CatholicFlyer

the dang EDF Price for this thing has me stalled, plus also a nasty cold too, weather in Western Kansas been weird, first 80s, then Fall 50s, then snowing, then back up to summer weather. I was just flying around on my simulator I downloaded for the laptop; well it calls it self a simulator, WarThunder, I came across this weird but huge French Plane, the Farman 222.22 and it has the cheap EDFs that Flite Test tried on the Warthog and succeeded, carries 52 bombs it did back both World War one and Two, no flaps, has a some what swift wing, but just a touch. If anyone has studied this plane, let me know, since they got the cheap EDF style to work in real life, might be something I can use to save a few bucks to get the monster off the ground.

Here is the wikipedia article on it, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farman_F.220 @Chuppster @DamoRC