unZapped "Mickey" Vtail Airframe Prototype is HERE!!!

unzapped

uzmickeyv1.jpg

I am building the perfect VTAIL airframe for aerial video, photography, and FPV. My aim is to eliminate the anxiety, cost, and downtime related to having to rebuild or order more parts after every hard or less than perfect landing.

Therefore, it must be nearly indestructible. It must accommodate correct CG, FC placement for a VTAIL.

All breakable airframe parts should be easy to acquire locally. And the airframe must protect the gear, cameras, boards, etc...

This is where I have chosen to start.

Solid aluminum, cut on a waterjet. Needs milling, bead blasting, and probably a little more dieting...:)

Thoughts? Suggestions? Questions?

helinor

View attachment 20141

I am building the perfect VTAIL airframe for aerial video, photography, and FPV. My aim is to eliminate the anxiety, cost, and downtime related to having to rebuild or order more parts after every hard or less than perfect landing.

Therefore, it must be nearly indestructible. It must accommodate correct CG, FC placement for a VTAIL.

All breakable airframe parts should be easy to acquire locally. And the airframe must protect the gear, cameras, boards, etc...

This is where I have chosen to start.

Solid aluminum, cut on a waterjet. Needs milling, bead blasting, and probably a little more dieting...:)

Thoughts? Suggestions? Questions?

This I am really looking forward to follow:D. What will you be using for arms? CF-tubing? If you go with 16mm tubing I would use the tarot motor mounts. They are really good:).
Regards
Ole

Last edited:

SGrog

At how 1200g, what motors and blade setup are you looking at running? Im running a 1700g setup with out FPV gear, and should be receiving the parts soon here. Im using 750kv motors, and experimenting with 10 and 12 inch blades. Totally new to quads, but awesome design by the way!

-Sean

unzapped

I am usingNTM Prop Drive 28-26a 1200kv Motors

8inch props in the rear and 9's in the front.

Its 1250 loaded... I haven't flown it with Fpv gear yet.
IMG_20140315_122905_675.jpg

unzapped

Milled and blasted
Editedsm.jpg

Laid on top of my batbone
IMG_5519sm.jpg

Weight is 308g not too bad

First thoughts...

I do not like the finish, I will probably paint it.
It is REAL strong.
The points are still scary sharp.
I LOVE the mounting options for the FC.
Overall I think the added real estate and versatility of the aluminum for mounting is gonna be sweet!

So whats left? Booms, motor mounts, landing gear.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Questions? Am I crazy?