**Update**Tiny Trainer Maiden Crash. Not once but 4 times!

Hineybadger

**Update is at the bottom**
Went out to maiden my TT and the results were 4 crashes and two broken props. Not sure what my issue is but hopefully some can lead me in the right directions. First hand toss resulted in a left bank straight to the ground (1st prop break) . 2nd toss was 60 degrees up and bank left to the ground. 3rd and 4th were left to the ground (2nd prop break). Battery gives the motor tons of power and not sure if that's causing it to torque to the left.

After getting home I noticed the elevator was slightly lower on the right side. The battery is bigger than recommended and made it difficult to get the CG squared away since it had to be set further back in the fuselage where my hands don't fit. Plans are to get a 2s battery and see if that helps out and do some pre-flight glide test. I've attached some photos and video of the plane and my controller D/R and Expo settings. Maybe even just assemble the sport wing so I have aileron controls instead of just using the rudder.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Set up:
Weight with battery-260grams 9oz
TT with polyhedral wing
Battery-3s 800mah

Link to video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hX1fR_f8jjOtCYa8MDgylMif18imrsVM

**Update**
So at the advice of @The Hangar I double checked the rudder and it WAS backwards. I built the sport wing and did a few glide test with the "chuck glider" nose attached and properly weighted the same as if the motor was mounted. A short backyard glide was performed (no tx) and it was very level. Took it out to an area with a nice hill and performed some glides with the tx active. Check out the video below for the results. Very happy and ready to conduct my 2nd "motored" maiden flight Saturday.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14XnMzYVrU5c2wxbvCI2eTU69cc7NOo66

Attachments

• cg.JPG
    cg.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • dr.JPG
    dr.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • rear.JPG
    rear.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • servo.JPG
    servo.JPG
  • IMG_2281.JPG
    IMG_2281.JPG
Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Dont forget to check the basics...
Ensure the controls are going in the right direction, correct props going the correct direction etc...

Did you get a chance to hand toss it with the motor off? That might help determine if it's a weight/balance issue or torque roll.

It could be stalling, make sure you give it a good enough toss.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i had a similar problem with the one i built so i ditched the poly wing and went with one that had ailerons. solved the problem. 3channel airplanes have a bad habit of torquing left and then not having enough controls to pull it back in time. you may also want to lower the throttle setting on launch, this will help with the torque.

good luck,

me :cool:

Hineybadger

i had a similar problem with the one i built so i ditched the poly wing and went with one that had ailerons. solved the problem. 3channel airplanes have a bad habit of torquing left and then not having enough controls to pull it back in time. you may also want to lower the throttle setting on launch, this will help with the torque.

good luck,

me :cool:
My exact thoughts. Gonna build that wing today. Being a real pilot since 2003, I'm not used to not having ailerons to control my aircraft :).

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
When I was at FF19, I shared the table with 3 noobs. All built the TT from a kit. All 3 planes, all were balanced at the recommended CG. When it was time to fly, I was give the honor to maiden, all were tail heavy. We moved the CG forward 1/4 inch and they flew great.

I agree with @mrjdstewart & @Hondo76251, add ailerons. It is very easy to build a twist into a FT wing, you need ailerons to counteract the twist. Make sure you have the controls going the right way.

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
"... all were tail heavy..."

seems like I've found this to be the case on quite a few FT kits. Would think they would lean toward making them a bit nose heavy...

I wonder if they are so used to building these planes that they dont account for the extra 3 sticks of glue that most of us end up with in the tails of our planes! 🤣

Bricks

Master member
seems like I've found this to be the case on quite a few FT kits. Would think they would lean toward making them a bit nose heavy...

I wonder if they are so used to building these planes that they dont account for the extra 3 sticks of glue that most of us end up with in the tails of our planes! 🤣

I know right more glue makes it stronger right and crash resistant.........wrong I keep harping that montra KEEP IT LIGHT as light always flies better.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
These guys are onto something. Try making the aileron wing, and make sure your rudder is going the right way. A reversed rudder is what it looked like to me. Good luck and have fun!