CatholicFlyer

see my article on both builds and after testing the model I have built to be the Bristol as a chuck glider, it glides great, if it was into the wind and out doors, I bet it would glide even better. So I know I will need to either rebuild it entirely or ask everyone who has followed my build posts to see what could be done to it, the big one I wanted to make as the Nieuport 24, it in it's entirety needs rebuilt properly, since my dad got me the proper tools last week to make it straight and good CG.

On the one I was trying to make the Bristol with, it appears and feels nose heavy, yet I did the finger test to test the CG, was fine. So I am at the cross roads on the Bristol, I agree with @DamoRC @JTarmstr on using the SE5 and make it into the Bristol, now I know the gild test and CG test, I ask my fellow helpers on what to do.

To conclude, the smaller bi-plane glides excellent, excellent CG, the larger plane needs rebuilt totally.

So I ask for any ideas on what to do, and yes, if I add more to the little one in braces, I'm afraid it will get heavier and I don't want that, the only added weight I want in it is the electronics, power box for the engine and everything, plus the cover with the two holes for the pilot and rear gunner.

JTarmstr

Elite member
see my article on both builds and after testing the model I have built to be the Bristol as a chuck glider, it glides great, if it was into the wind and out doors, I bet it would glide even better. So I know I will need to either rebuild it entirely or ask everyone who has followed my build posts to see what could be done to it, the big one I wanted to make as the Nieuport 24, it in it's entirety needs rebuilt properly, since my dad got me the proper tools last week to make it straight and good CG.

On the one I was trying to make the Bristol with, it appears and feels nose heavy, yet I did the finger test to test the CG, was fine. So I am at the cross roads on the Bristol, I agree with @DamoRC @JTarmstr on using the SE5 and make it into the Bristol, now I know the gild test and CG test, I ask my fellow helpers on what to do.

To conclude, the smaller bi-plane glides excellent, excellent CG, the larger plane needs rebuilt totally.

So I ask for any ideas on what to do, and yes, if I add more to the little one in braces, I'm afraid it will get heavier and I don't want that, the only added weight I want in it is the electronics, power box for the engine and everything, plus the cover with the two holes for the pilot and rear gunner.

Well what I would do is keep the chuck glider and build a new airframe, often when designing you go through several prototypes before it flies. Also you want the air frame light, the battery, motor, servos and ESC will add quite a bit of weight. I would scale up and mod the SE5 model just for the sake of keeping the frame strong. This is more science of impacts/aerodynamics but basically if you add even a bit more weight (say 8 ounces), the strain on the airframe when it crashes/pulls negative or positive G will be a lot more and it might be more inclined to snap something/tear itself apart.

CatholicFlyer

Well what I would do is keep the chuck glider and build a new airframe, often when designing you go through several prototypes before it flies. Also you want the air frame light, the battery, motor, servos and ESC will add quite a bit of weight. I would scale up and mod the SE5 model just for the sake of keeping the frame strong. This is more science of impacts/aerodynamics but basically if you add even a bit more weight (say 8 ounces), the strain on the airframe when it crashes/pulls negative or positive G will be a lot more and it might be more inclined to snap something/tear itself apart.

@JTarmstr thank you, that is what I'll do.

CatholicFlyer

@Chuppster I did some testing with the smaller build, what u say on braces is true, but for some reason though it did glide well. on the big one, the back end needs to better, so I might have to rebuild it, since I have the proper angles, straight edge now, should be better. to the cross brace, might need to find a touch longer wood skewers and then grab the fishing line from my fishing kit.

Chuppster

@Chuppster I did some testing with the smaller build, what u say on braces is true, but for some reason though it did glide well. on the big one, the back end needs to better, so I might have to rebuild it, since I have the proper angles, straight edge now, should be better. to the cross brace, might need to find a touch longer wood skewers and then grab the fishing line from my fishing kit.

It may be able to glide alright, but being able to control it in the air is a different matter.