Update To The X-Wing Flyer

CatholicFlyer

I just watched the Star Wars X-Wing Flyer and I noticed it seemed under powered even for the size, I would upgrade it and make it bigger, with foam, carbon fiber, and balsa wood, plus the four jet engines like it has in the movie and try to put some sort of workable paint ball guns on it.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
it is illegal to "launch" or "shoot" anything powered from an RC plane. hate to see you get in trouble.

me :cool:

CatholicFlyer

wow, thanks, didn't know. nope, don't want the people at Flite Test get in trouble. but the other modifications would be nice, the four jet powered fuel engines, better materials and something to keep that thing flying like a true X-Wing. I also like those racing pods in the movie where you see Darth Vadar as a kid.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
i think a lot of people get ama rules and actual law confused. plus this is a multinational forum of people so blanket statements like that are a little confusing.

CatholicFlyer

i'm in the usa, so would the flite test crew be okay on the rules of making the x-wing fighter real life by using paint balls?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
i think a lot of people get ama rules and actual law confused. plus this is a multinational forum of people so blanket statements like that are a little confusing.

Here's the issue that's getting confused - in absence of having a Part 107 license (which is REQUIRED if you are NOT part of a community based organization such as the AMA) you would fall under needing to be a member of a community based organization, such as the AMA (which, currently, is the only nationally recognized community based organization) and thus be covered under section 336. If you fall under section 336, you fall under the AMA's safety rules and regulations. If you do not, then you fall under the FAA's Part 107 rules and regulations.

I've not looked into the FAA's rulings, but I'm pretty sure the firing of projectiles from a UAS, whether lethal or not, is a no-no. Even if it isn't, that's a huge risk you'll be taking in a very politically charged arena with drones, spying, and guns. Under section 336, firing projectiles is a no-no, because you're falling under the AMA's rules. This is why some people don't like the AMA and what they feel is restrictive. I get it; I'm not going to argue that. But, if you don't have a Part 107 license, and you are expecting to be held under the Section 336 rules if law enforcement comes down on you, it's what the AMA's rules are that you have to participate under.

And from what I understand, if you are Part 107 and going under that ruling, you must carry separate insurance for your UAS - which, from what I heard at AMA Expo West, it was rather expensive.

Ultimately, what I'll say is this:

Fly safe, don't fly stupid, don't try to rock the boat and do something potentially dangerous (like taking pictures of incoming planes from the flight path at La Guardia or Chicago O'Hare airport, or following a military BlackHawk helicopter 2.5 mi. off the coast into restricted military airspace). If you fly smart, you fly safely, you'll have nothing to worry about.

Shoot, I had a sheriff come out to a baseball field where I was flying my drone at about 6:30 in the morning (I did it that early because there was NOBODY there - again, trying to be safe, so that I didn't have to worry about anyone running onto the field with my whirling blades on my quadcopter), and the sheriff asked me what I was doing. TECHNICALLY, I was somewhat illegal, as the baseball field is within 5 mi. of an airport, but I'm flying below the treetops and below the lights for the field with my drone - if a plane is flying low enough that they have to worry about the treetops and the light poles, my drone is going to be the least of their worries.

At any rate, the sheriff came out, asked what I was doing, and said, "Ok, cool. But if anyone shows up, please give way to them for safety's sake."

"Not a problem, sir. That's why I'm out here so early flying - no interference!"

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Here's the issue that's getting confused - in absence of having a Part 107 license (which is REQUIRED if you are NOT part of a community based organization such as the AMA) you would fall under needing to be a member of a community based organization, such as the AMA (which, currently, is the only nationally recognized community based organization) and thus be covered under section 336. If you fall under section 336, you fall under the AMA's safety rules and regulations. If you do not, then you fall under the FAA's Part 107 rules and regulations.

I've not looked into the FAA's rulings, but I'm pretty sure the firing of projectiles from a UAS, whether lethal or not, is a no-no. Even if it isn't, that's a huge risk you'll be taking in a very politically charged arena with drones, spying, and guns. Under section 336, firing projectiles is a no-no, because you're falling under the AMA's rules. This is why some people don't like the AMA and what they feel is restrictive. I get it; I'm not going to argue that. But, if you don't have a Part 107 license, and you are expecting to be held under the Section 336 rules if law enforcement comes down on you, it's what the AMA's rules are that you have to participate under.

And from what I understand, if you are Part 107 and going under that ruling, you must carry separate insurance for your UAS - which, from what I heard at AMA Expo West, it was rather expensive.

Ultimately, what I'll say is this:

Fly safe, don't fly stupid, don't try to rock the boat and do something potentially dangerous (like taking pictures of incoming planes from the flight path at La Guardia or Chicago O'Hare airport, or following a military BlackHawk helicopter 2.5 mi. off the coast into restricted military airspace). If you fly smart, you fly safely, you'll have nothing to worry about.

Shoot, I had a sheriff come out to a baseball field where I was flying my drone at about 6:30 in the morning (I did it that early because there was NOBODY there - again, trying to be safe, so that I didn't have to worry about anyone running onto the field with my whirling blades on my quadcopter), and the sheriff asked me what I was doing. TECHNICALLY, I was somewhat illegal, as the baseball field is within 5 mi. of an airport, but I'm flying below the treetops and below the lights for the field with my drone - if a plane is flying low enough that they have to worry about the treetops and the light poles, my drone is going to be the least of their worries.

At any rate, the sheriff came out, asked what I was doing, and said, "Ok, cool. But if anyone shows up, please give way to them for safety's sake."

"Not a problem, sir. That's why I'm out here so early flying - no interference!"

Your logic certainly seems good but what specific rule of the ama prohibits dropping or launching things?

Namactual

Elite member
Honestly, just like anything else, you have two ways to interpret this.

You have the intent of the law, and the letter of the law.

Much like the "5 mile rule" it's the intent that is important. Most multi rotors and park fliers will never reach an altitude to interfere with full scale aircraft. And at 5.1 miles you can still fly like and idiot and cause trouble.

As far as the projectile issue, I am sure if you keep it limited to nothing that can cause harm you will be ok. Again, look at the intent of the law or rule. Use a nerf gun rather than a paintball gun as there is no chance of anyone being hurt by a nerf dart.

It would be easier to carry a nerf gun anyway. A paintball gun would weigh a ton.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Honestly, just like anything else, you have two ways to interpret this.

You have the intent of the law, and the letter of the law.

Much like the "5 mile rule" it's the intent that is important. Most multi rotors and park fliers will never reach an altitude to interfere with full scale aircraft. And at 5.1 miles you can still fly like and idiot and cause trouble.

As far as the projectile issue, I am sure if you keep it limited to nothing that can cause harm you will be ok. Again, look at the intent of the law or rule. Use a nerf gun rather than a paintball gun as there is no chance of anyone being hurt by a nerf dart.

It would be easier to carry a nerf gun anyway. A paintball gun would weigh a ton.

Well intent is good but it is by the letter of the law that they will nail you with so both are important.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
dropping things is fine, drop parachutes all day long. you can even use rockets to boost you, but launching is the problem. this was discussed at length just a bit ago. not going to spend the time to go and fish it up, but common sense says that "launching" uncontrolled projectiles from an rc airplane/quad vehicle might be frowned upon.

if you look in the AMA articles, this is covered.

just sayin...

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Could you show me, I may be blind.
dropping things is fine, drop parachutes all day long. you can even use rockets to boost you, but launching is the problem. this was discussed at length just a bit ago. not going to spend the time to go and fish it up, but common sense says that "launching" uncontrolled projectiles from an rc airplane/quad vehicle might be frowned upon.

if you look in the AMA articles, this is covered.

just sayin...

Okay, I found it and as I originally suspected, it includes a hazard clause so yes you can shoot projectiles but it is 100% your responsibility to not cause a hazard to other people or property.

Devices that propel projectiles or drop any object creating a hazard to persons or property are prohibited.

Then there is:

Launching a rocket or any other missile from a model aircraft is prohibited.

So it appears any combustion-based projectile is out. Still, nerf or paintball is doable as long as there is no hazard.

sprzout

Mentor
Could you show me, I may be blind.

Okay, I found it and as I originally suspected, it includes a hazard clause so yes you can shoot projectiles but it is 100% your responsibility to not cause a hazard to other people or property.

Devices that propel projectiles or drop any object creating a hazard to persons or property are prohibited.

Then there is:

Launching a rocket or any other missile from a model aircraft is prohibited.

So it appears any combustion-based projectile is out. Still, nerf or paintball is doable as long as there is no hazard.

Depends on your definition of "Missile". There are lawyers out there that would argue that a nerf dart or paintball could be considered a missile...It's semantics. My answer, to avoid the headache of legalities and somebody getting their underwear bunched up and wedged in the wrong spot, is to not do it. Sure, it might look cool, but is the hassle worth it?

Just my $0.02, which, as we know, isn't even worth that because it costs more to make a penny! LOL

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Depends on your definition of "Missile". There are lawyers out there that would argue that a nerf dart or paintball could be considered a missile...It's semantics. My answer, to avoid the headache of legalities and somebody getting their underwear bunched up and wedged in the wrong spot, is to not do it. Sure, it might look cool, but is the hassle worth it?

Just my $0.02, which, as we know, isn't even worth that because it costs more to make a penny! LOL

Okay, I am going to officially agree with you 100% as I don't want to encourage or appear to encourage bad behavior in others.

You are right in that it always comes down to semantics. How do you define hazard? How do you define missile?

All that said, if a tree falls in the woods and there is not a lawyer present.... ;)

sprzout

Mentor
Okay, I am going to officially agree with you 100% as I don't want to encourage or appear to encourage bad behavior in others.

You are right in that it always comes down to semantics. How do you define hazard? How do you define missile?

All that said, if a tree falls in the woods and there is not a lawyer present.... ;)

Exactly. There's a time and a place for shenanigans; in this day and age, with people looking at ANYTHING flying as a potential spying platform or a weaponized system (I've run into a lot of those nutjobs out here in California; one lady tried to accuse me of spying on her until I handed her my goggles and said, "Tell me what YOU see while I'm flying." Besides, she wasn't even interesting enough for me to want to watch her LOL), I just try to take the path of least resistance, and fly under the radar.