Updated Forum

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I notice that in private messages, the insert image doesn't include the option to upload from my PC. It just has an http:// parameter.

Is this intended?

I also note that there is no option to delete a post in a PM. Is this intended?

Lovin' the new site btw. :)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I'm going to check with @fliteadmin to see why Mentors and Registered users are not allowed to use attachments in conversations.

As for deleting a post in a conversation - that's something even I as an administrator can not do and I don't think I can see a permission setting for it. I need to look into it in more detail.

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
PM Attachments should be available now. At the moment, you should have the ability to edit/remove a PM post content, but we don't have a way to wipe the entry completely. Hope this helps!

Robert

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Yawn... I'm coming out of hibernation, finally.
I'm liking the new forum, adjusting to the new flow, finding my powers restored.
I am seeing the hard delete gone and like the ease of use but already thinking of a workaround for the sake of tidiness.

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
Yawn... I'm coming out of hibernation, finally.
I'm liking the new forum, adjusting to the new flow, finding my powers restored.
I am seeing the hard delete gone and like the ease of use but already thinking of a workaround for the sake of tidiness.

Jim!!!!!!!!!!! Been wondering where you were, glad to see you finally woke up!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I'm going to check with @fliteadmin to see why Mentors and Registered users are not allowed to use attachments in conversations.

As for deleting a post in a conversation - that's something even I as an administrator can not do and I don't think I can see a permission setting for it. I need to look into it in more detail.
PM Attachments should be available now. At the moment, you should have the ability to edit/remove a PM post content, but we don't have a way to wipe the entry completely. Hope this helps!

Robert
I put a suggestion in the Moderators area that might be a good workaround. Since we do have the power to move posts and threads (I haven't tried in the new forum yet) I'm thinking we can make a dump site for all the trashed posts. That could do a lot to declutter some threads, especially the ones prone to spam.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You could further that and add that thread to the moderators section where us normal members do not have access to avoid accidental postings by people not knowing the thread is for bad posts. It would also I believe take it out of the search algorithm wouldn't it?

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
That might be a good idea. I thought if anyone posted there anyway I would have to go far to take the trash out.

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
We can certainly enable hard-delete for threads and posts moderation, I believe the request above was in regards to individual private messages (conversations). The new SPAM system has a built-in manager that by default soft-deletes posts to avoid accidents. Since some moderators prefer to have them visible, I can instead hide them on an individual basis - only for you Jim (or any other moderator) - just let me know.

Robert

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Thanks for replying Robert.

I would be interested in eliminating posts and threads from view. Here are my reasons.

Sometimes a member will post the same reply multiple times and then want one of the two deleted. Sometimes this happens with multiple threads too.

I have a thread, Which Transmitter You Should Buy..., where it is designed to be more of an evolving guide than a center to converse. Nevertheless comments do happen (and are welcome) but are made aware that to keep the guide user friendly we wouldn't want to bury the useful information in a sea of comments. Therefore when a major transmitter description is posted I include it in the index (first post) and get rid of those extra posts that separate the "official" transmitter posts.

In cases like these I don't see an advantage of soft deleting and would just like to make them invisible. In the past I did this with hard deletes. As of last night with the Transmitter thread since the forum upgrade I've started dumping the extra posts into a "Graveyard" thread but I'm happy to do whatever works best for the community.

What do you suggest?
—Jim

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
That makes sense Jim, see if things cleaned up for you. Now only admins and certain moderators can see deleted threads - it's not necessary to move them. Hope this helps!

Robert

Morgan

so I can't figure out how to give my self a signature . it says '' changes saved '' but nothing hapens.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Hey Morgan,

so I can't figure out how to give my self a signature . it says '' changes saved '' but nothing hapens.

So is "Builder and crasher of many things." the signature you wanted to save? Because that's the one I see. :)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hi I just went to change my signature and move my D.520 link from "building" to "designs" and I got an error saying that my signature
"has too many characters"
"has too many lines"
"and can only have one link"
Now all I did was move try to move a link around and I got all these errors. Did the signature settings change when the forum updated and it didn't do anything to change it before, but now won't let me change it?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hey Balu...

Whats the chance of making that View More button disappear and just posting the first 10 posts or some specific count when hitting the whats new tab. Its kind of redundant to have it reopen the same posts to fill out the page so we need to scroll back thru posts that already showed up.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I cant remember if this was the same on the old forum, but posting pictures is really irritating. Now maybe its just my process, but man its starting to get to me.

When im doing a brain dump after a weekend of building i like to attach just a few pics, document what they are about, than attach a few more... repeat.

Everytime you tell it to do a thumbnail, it jumps you up to the post section, and than you have to scroll down and find the thumbnail for the next picture, and it jumps me up again. Now on a short post its not a big deal, but when you have 20 pics its a lot of scrolling back and forth if your not using the post all thumbnail button.

Also the placement of the attach button is very irritating on long posts as after you hit the preview button you have to now scroll past twice as much posts. The part where you enter and the preview box.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Hey Balu...

Whats the chance of making that View More button disappear and just posting the first 10 posts or some specific count when hitting the whats new tab. Its kind of redundant to have it reopen the same posts to fill out the page so we need to scroll back thru posts that already showed up.
You can try clicking on the pull down first and go to "New Posts"
Capture.JPG