Updated Forum

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
When I pick Customize and change the background and color selections they change for my current session. When I log out and log back in they revert back to what I had previously. I assume save is supposed to save the settings until I choose to change them again. Can this be fixed? Is it something I can fix with my browser cache? I'm using Google Chrome on Windows 10. Thanks.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Whats the chance of making that View More button disappear and just posting the first 10 posts or some specific count when hitting the whats new tab. Its kind of redundant to have it reopen the same posts to fill out the page so we need to scroll back thru posts that already showed up.

Hm. The "View more..." is about showing "more of the mentioned group" (e.g. Latest posts or Latest resources). The "What's new" is basically a summary of all the other tabs / sections under that button. So you jump to a different page seeing "more of group X" - including the first few you have already seen of course.

Did the signature settings change when the forum updated and it didn't do anything to change it before, but now won't let me change it?

There probably weren't any limits on the old forum, so yes. I have upgraded those to 300 maximum printable characters, 5 lines and 10 links. Let me know if you need more.

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Everytime you tell it to do a thumbnail, it jumps you up to the post section, and than you have to scroll down and find the thumbnail for the next picture, and it jumps me up again. Now on a short post its not a big deal, but when you have 20 pics its a lot of scrolling back and forth if your not using the post all thumbnail button.

Also the placement of the attach button is very irritating on long posts as after you hit the preview button you have to now scroll past twice as much posts. The part where you enter and the preview box.

There are several ways to go about adding pictures to your post:
  • one is using the standard 'Insert image' button in the toolbar, which will simply add the image at the location of the cursor - which is the approach of most editors;
  • the second is using the Attach Files button which can be used in two steps: attach your images first; place your cursor where you want each inserted and select either thumbnail or full image; if you have lots of images that need inserted in precise locations, this will require indeed a lot of scrolling.

Also note there is an 'Insert All' option for Attach Files - based on your description, you could use this to push them in the editor and then fill with text between them as needed: 1530198704169.png

• the third is to simply drag and drop from a file browser; the location of the drop is highlighted by the cursor while you drag the image across the text.
The size of the editor should never be larger than the size of the page - so scrolling should only be happening inside the editor if you use the first/third option. I will see about adding a full-screen button, but that will probably not help much if you prefer using the Attach Files method :)

Robert

Last edited:

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
When I pick Customize and change the background and color selections they change for my current session. When I log out and log back in they revert back to what I had previously. I assume save is supposed to save the settings until I choose to change them again. Can this be fixed? Is it something I can fix with my browser cache? I'm using Google Chrome on Windows 10. Thanks.

That is definitely not the normal behaviour, clearing your browser cache would indeed be the first step to try. Also try a different browser to exclude any issues with your account.

Robert

Dante

I have noticed that when I scroll through the main forum list page, the latest resources on the right don't scroll at the same time. They are stationary until the rest of the page nears the bottom. Then they start to move as I scroll.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I have noticed that when I scroll through the main forum list page, the latest resources on the right don't scroll at the same time. They are stationary until the rest of the page nears the bottom. Then they start to move as I scroll.

That's actually a "feature" to keep the more interesting things (resources and posts) visible while scrolling and just move to the end when the page ends too. :)

Dante

That's actually a "feature" to keep the more interesting things (resources and posts) visible while scrolling and just move to the end when the page ends too. :)
Oh, ok. I understand it is an update. At least on my computer (a chromebook), It shows a 2.5 posts on the right. I have to scroll to the bottom to see the remaining 2.5. I think the website would look better if for the entire scroll all five recent posts showed. The forum stats and page sharing could show at the very bottom of scrolling. Thanks for taking time to reply to my comment.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
The attachment browser is nice, but can you make it so that it opens a preview of the photo and than you can hit right/next to go thru them all just like RC groups? I usually dont want to download all the photos i just want to browse thru them and jump to the specific post about that pic.
Im using chrome.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Would it be possible to have a "Watched Users" search option?

The site let's us "Follow" users, and it would be great to have a way to pull up all new content of those followed users (so I don't miss an awesome build project)

Thanks!

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Would it be possible to have a "Watched Users" search option?

The site let's us "Follow" users, and it would be great to have a way to pull up all new content of those followed users (so I don't miss an awesome build project)

Thanks!

"Your News Feed" does this, under what's new on threads and the top menu on the home page.

thenated0g

Mentor
How long can you leave a new post sitting open? Meaning if i know its going to take 30 minutes to type out and get a post done can i leave my browser open? Is there a timer that if it goes past and i hit "preview" or "Post reply", that i'm going to lose all my work? Would be nice knowing i could just leave it open for an hour and work on it instead of pre type it in another program and than pasting it over. I haven't had this issue just asking.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The new site autosaves a draft for you.

Try it.

Type a reply, then don't post it. Go off somewhere else for a while.

Come back and start a new reply. The text of your first reply is probably still there unless you delete it using the delete drafts button.

I have seen this save over night.

On a side note. I now look for that little magik up arrow that pops up when I start scrolling up on other sites. When will Google news catch up?? :)

thenated0g

Mentor
The attachment browser only shows the first 20 attachments with no way to go to the next page to see anymore attachments.

thenated0g

Mentor
"members" page questions.
1) how often is that updated? It doesnt seem to reflect anything close to live as i know i have got a bunch of likes over the weekend and my numbers havent changed in at least a week since i checked it previously.
**edit** i think whats going on is i assumed "likes" was how much of my posts was liked when maybe the likes is how many times your personal account was liked.​
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?members/

Would be fun to have a more competitve "score board" for bragging rights, even if it wasnt something shared on the main links but something those of us who are here all the time could use for fun. And to know who is "the best" :)

TooJung2Die

Master member
The attachment browser only shows the first 20 attachments with no way to go to the next page to see anymore attachments.
This is an annoying limitation. I've never seen forum software that does this. You want to browse ALL the attachments. Any solution in sight?
jon