Upgrading!

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I need a new transmitter. I am moving into more than the 5 channels my dx5e offers. I was thinking that maybe I should switch gears and go with futuba. Their recievers are more, but what is going to be the most reliable?
thanks guys
Ben

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
If you have the cash, get Futaba. But there are other options! The 9XR when it is released seems like it will be quite good :)

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I highly recommend checking out the current 9x... It's cheaper than the dx5e, let alone the much more expensive models in that line! It's full range and very upgradable. If you don't trust the system that it's on, upgrading to FrSky to add telemetry and arguably the most reliable 2.4 system is also dirt cheap!

That said, if you're going the Futaba line, FAAST is very good. Hobbyking even stock a nice 6ch FAAST radio for about half of what you'd pay elsewhere... (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=9828&aff=516279). Hobbyking are even doing cheap-ish rx for them now: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=14300&aff=516279

Last edited:

glydr

How many letters do we ge
You definitely have to let go of that DX5e.

If I was to splash out on a new TX it would be a DSX11 if I could sneak it past Mrs Glydr. Or a DSX9. But at the moment happy enough with my DX7 with bearings mod.

<now, just waiting for that Turnigy fanboi lobstermash to come up with a witty response>

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I don't know guys.. I know there are some people that swear by it, but I don't think I trust the 9x. Thanks for all the input, I'm just sick of crashing 4 TIMES because of spektrums "brownout" crud. If you convince me, I may go with the 9x, but for now, I was looking at the Futuba 6ex and lobstermash confirmed that...

earthsciteach

The Turnigy is reliable, although I have had a couple of crashes that I can only attribute to brown out. As Lobster said, upgrading to the Frsky module is only about $25. However, the rx's are a good bit more expensive than those that can be bought for the Turnigy, but still cheaper than the Futaba rx's.

You are looking at around $500 for an 8 channel Futaba vs less than $100 for the Turnigy/FlySky. So, for around 1/5 of the cost you can buy a Turnigy and upgrade to Frsky, one of THE MOST reliable systems on the market. I don't know what could be more convincing than that!

Carbon

Elemental Madness
well, after consulting a freind, I think the 6i DSMX is going to work for me. I want to do 3D and really only need 4 channels with dual rates and expo. I heard from multiple people that DSMX is better than DSM2...why?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Because it can look around for more than two channels to use (DSM2) as the channels are better or worse, DSMX will hop to a new set if they're better, and do it over and over while you're flying.

Honestly, I only have one DSMX receiver, everything else I use is DSM2 and I don't have problems. I did with my DX5e and the more I hear the more I think that the DX5e just isn't very good. I stopped using mine quite a while ago and now I just use it as a trainer cord radio.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Re FrSky, the module literally just plugs in to the 9x like it would into a JR.

Bruce from RCmodelreviews shows what DSM2 and DSMX look like in terms of frequencies being used. DSM2 doesn't hop frequencies, but rather just uses 2 different frequencies. Bruce showed how close together these frequencies are, and that if there's interference that will knock one of those out, the other frequency is likely to be knocked out too. DSMX is Spektrum catching up with the times - it must have been embarrassing to have an outdated system when even the cheap rubbish transmitters that come in most RTF kits had frequency hopping...

If you know anyone with a 9x, I'd recommend at least having a look - you'll be amazed what you get for the price, and it's a very reliable piece of kit. Glydr only recommends Spektrum because he sipped their Kool-Aid long ago ;)

well, after consulting a freind, I think the 6i DSMX is going to work for me. I want to do 3D and really only need 4 channels with dual rates and expo. I heard from multiple people that DSMX is better than DSM2...why?

If you want to go the DSMX route then do as colorex suggested and wait until next months release of the Turnigy 9XR which is DSM2/DSMX. With an inbuilt programmer it will be easy to flash with er9x firmware and you'll have a much much better radio than the Spektrum 6i for only $50.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
As interested as I am to see a 9XR, I'm wondering if it will be like HK's other development projects... The first batch or two have serious QC issues, but once these are done they're top notch (for a cases in point, look at all the Durafly planes...). That said, by all accounts there's little wrong with the Zephyr. Don't ask about the Lancaster...

Problems with the current 9x are very few and far between and most would agree it's an almost perfected product save the stock firmware (which is fine, but not optimal).

Problems with the current 9x are very few and far between and most would agree it's an almost perfected product save the stock firmware (which is fine, but not optimal).
It's nowhere near perfected. For the price it is very good but there are some issues. For instance it has a replaceable module however the antenna is attached! To get it changed you need to cut it and then have a second antenna. The "+" and "-" buttons are reversed as well. To use a simulator or buddy box you need to remove the module from the back and have it dangling by that antenna (yes, I know you can mod it with a resistor but I am talking stock). There's no backlighting. Limited model memory. And then the stock firmware is abysmal! Just to use Flaperons on the three position switch requires about seven mixes.

P.S. don't get me wrong. I love my 9x, especially after installing er9x on it. Absolutely amazing what you can get for that price.

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
A friend of mine has a DX5e - and he gets really bad range. He has also lost control quite a few times.

I was able to do more distance on DX6i + OrangeRx than him on DX5e + Spektrum Rx

adrian.virnig

another option is to take your transmitter module from the dx5e if it is dsmx, and mod the module into the 9x module case... there are threads out there on how to do this, google it. but personally, i went the 9x route with smartie parts programmer, er9x upgrade and just installed a dm9 spektrum module. works great with all my bnf planes i had. granted its still dsm2, but with an orange rx 6 channel rx + satelite rx from hobbyking, range issues are a thing of the past for me.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
My son and I went through this over a year ago with his Dx5e. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how frustrating it is to have planes auger in the dirt because of no/poor control. We asked around as you are doing and in the end we went with the Dx6i. We took the chance because 1) The availability of bind-n-fly a/c out there is substantial, 2) The store was going to credit us with the Dx-5e we were turning in, and 3) Spektrum has repeatedly been very customer friendly in repairing and replacing past xmtr's. I figured if we got a dud, at the very least Spektrum would take care of us as they had in the past.
Results: He has used his Dx6i for everything from micro helis to fixed wing outdoor parkflyers and micros to even a science fair project where he had to make a controllable robot arm and no crashes.
I might have to get one of my own.
Oh yeah and you can buddy cord a couple up for training a newbie.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
just so you guys know I bought my 6i about a month ago and have since sold it. I like my new 9x with frsky module. I love the instant connection! It is just great and gives me amazing range. That and I got a jr 72mhz radio to test out my FPV gear. I'm a happy camper now! To anyone following this thread: I know the 9x can appear to be "cheap" but when you are actually holding it in your hands it seems so much better than a 6i.

tramsgar

What are your priorities? Sounds like reliability rather than price. In that case, I've only heard good things about futaba and frsky. The TGY x9 + frsky module combo requires some tinkering / flashing etc. If that's ok, that's what I'd try for an affordable good link if I'd reinvest. Myself I've never had any link issues with DSMX, which also gives access to a lot of nice BNF models. But your Dx5e is DSMX, right?