Upscaling Mighty Mini Corsair

Hiflyer18

Hi everybody,
I am flying RC planes and quadcopters for some years now but until the beginning of this week, i was completely new to scratchbuilding. My first model was the mighty mini Corsair and i really love it !! As i think, that it is a little bit small, i instantly decided to build a bigger one. Now as i am new to scratchbuilding i dont know anything about upscaling plans. What are the problems that can occur? e.g. when i upscale it to 200% all the cutouts will be off or i will have to use 10 mm foam instead of 5mm.
Many thanks in advance
Hiflyer

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
You'll have to adjust the cutouts (gaps) to accommodate the thickness of the foam board you want to use.

Also, FYI... I believe it has been mentioned that Flite Test (Peter) will be creating a swappable size version of this plane as well.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor

Hiflyer18

Thank you all for your help. Alps design is wonderful, but as i am a beginner, i think i will wait for a design from Peter with a complete Video instruction.

guitchess

I've been flying my 140% version since I failed with the mini. It's pretty easy to make the adjustments. All I did was use the outermost lines then adjust thickness cuts. I also trimmed on the wing pocket to make it fit better as I didn't scale up the thickness of the spar.

I fly it with a 200 watt, 1400kv motor and 2200 mah 3s. It flies great. Has a bit of a high stall speed though. It will fly with less but on this one I was going for speed and flight time.

Last edited:

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
guitchess
I am doing a 190% and I want to use 3s batteries and I thought I would have to use a 9x? or even a 10 x? I have a cobra 2300kv motor and I think I may have to get a lower kv one. I am setting mine up with removable wings and plan on landing gear. I have found a weak spot with the nose and plan on adding side cheeks between the power pod mount and the fuselage sides going back to the back of the wings to stiffen it up and add support for the wing mounting. I plan on using a removable hatch with a pilot figure and clear canopy

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Friend at the local RC field build a 200% version and had the maiden flight today. I just missed the the flight, but everyone said it flew amazing.

guitchess

guitchess
I am doing a 190% and I want to use 3s batteries and I thought I would have to use a 9x? or even a 10 x? I have a cobra 2300kv motor and I think I may have to get a lower kv one. I am setting mine up with removable wings and plan on landing gear. I have found a weak spot with the nose and plan on adding side cheeks between the power pod mount and the fuselage sides going back to the back of the wings to stiffen it up and add support for the wing mounting. I plan on using a removable hatch with a pilot figure and clear canopy

Sounds like you have a good plan. I would say that you are correct about needing a larger diameter prop for this one. The nose is a bit like a brick wall in the wind, so a prop that will reach out and around it might be a necessity. I'm curious if the 190% scale will require a larger spar. It works fine with single layer foam on the 140%.

I'm sure we'd all love to see it when finished if you can post some pics/vid.

I posted a vid of some of today's flights of my new Corsair. I completely reworked the hatch/nose on it.
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?24655-2nd-Corsair-maiden

Ron B

I doubled up the spar as I didn't think the wing would hold up to a single spar and had planned on putting an aluminum spar in it but after building it I thought it was super strong and didn't need it. I made my wing removable and plan on landing gear. I am making a removable hatch a lot like yours and a clear canopy with a pilot figure in it. I am putting a SAFE rx in it and hopping it will make a beginner war bird. I have done this on the FT Spitfire but have not been able to fly it yet.

Spitfire 1.JPG spitfire 4.JPG

Ron B

here are photo's of my corsair waiting for minwax and paint then I will add landing gear and canopy
full size corsair readu to paint #2.JPG full size corsair ready to paint #!.JPG